Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Malui

Help Me... Leather Or Fabric Sofa?

Fabric is comfortable but for humid Spore esp during June mths be prepared to sweat into the fabric ...

Alternatively u can place a sofa cover over the fabric (but it covers yr sofa design lor)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Sometimes in humid weather leather sofa would grow mould.

But whether leather or fabric will also depend on your room designs. Some designs are better suited by leather, others - by fabric.

My preference if fabric though. My parents had enough leather sofas for me to dislike them sufficiently :)

But what if the bitter lemon thingy don't work? I know of a friend who has 2 cats and they scratched up her leather sofa quite badly. Wah, so heart pain!

If you like fabric, can always get those with a cover so that they can be washed? If not, just put a throw over it (can get from Ikea) but as mentioned earlier, it will block the design of your sofa lor. Then you'd have to decide: cleanliness or design? ;)

But what if the bitter lemon thingy don't work? I know of a friend who has 2 cats and they scratched up her leather sofa quite badly. Wah, so heart pain!

If you like fabric, can always get those with a cover so that they can be washed? If not, just put a throw over it (can get from Ikea) but as mentioned earlier, it will block the design of your sofa lor. Then you'd have to decide: cleanliness or design? ;)

must teach the cats not to scratch

also, ask your friend to provide scratching post

the cats should have something to aid in shedding their nail sheath mah :bangwall:

my cats scratched my leather sofa too

until i told them it's wrong and got them a scratching post

they stopped scratching my sofa liao

guess there's no better material

it's all up to individual's needs :yamseng:

Edited by applefreak

I am also in a dilemma. Not sure whether to get leather of fabric sofa. Initially like the cosy feel of fabric sofa but was converted to a leather sofa fan after visiting Mondi gallery. Leather sofa somehow look very posh and sleek. But lately, my HB indicates he prefers fabric sofa.

Also troubled over the size of the sofa. Prefer a large L-shaped sofa which we could laze around in comfort. The one I have in mind is about 2.8m (length) but the size of the living room seems to be able to take only up to 2.5m if it is to look good and spacious. Should i go for the look? or should i go for the comfort?

how much did you spend on your renovation?

how often do you foresee yourself lazing in the sofa?

if you spent a bomb on your renovation, you certainly don't want the sofa to spoil the entire look

if both of you working, reach home rather late and usually retire to the bedroom soon, no point going for comfort

if you are like me, spent minimum on reno and uses the sofa a lot

go for the comfort

bottom line, check out your needs and base your decision on it

you won't want to be greeted with an eye sore when you open the door

you also don't want to sit on something uncomfortable for hours on end :yamseng:

Prefer Leather sofa - Easier to maintain, and if the design and leather are good, it looks more elegant and expensive. Fabric sofa, a real torture just to take it out for wash, and worse putting it back. I have a ceiling fan and aircon in the living room, but most of the time, I turn on the ceiling fan. My leather sofa still looks news after 3 years coz my part-time maid wipe it once every month with leather cream.

After much consideration, we have decided to go for fabric sofa. The leather sofa need to be polished with leather cream once a couple of months to maintain its look. And if it is not done, the damage to the leather is irreversible. I am afraid we might turn lazy in future... 8|

Most likely we will be customising a L-shaped fabric sofa. Probably we could make two sets of coverings to create two different looks? Then I will have a spare set in case of emergency spills during festive seasons...

We went down to Santuary Dian two weeks ago to check out their servicse. We are very pleased with the services by Karen who patiently explain to us the characteristics of the various materials... even though we told her we are still shopping around and are still not ready to make any decision at the moment.

We probably will be asking them to customise our bedframe for us as well.. :dancingqueen:

yea im also considering fabric sofa...

i was thinking to custom make it lol.

i saw at the show room 4seater 1.6k after discount

but i wan a daybed so my dogs can sit with me also lol.

question is im worried the fabric will be damaged by my dogs...

i just paid deposit for a fabric sofa.

i have 1 big and 1 small dog lol hope they dont mess it up.

Reason for fabric is because it is not easy to tear (according to many shops)

Coolinga and good touch

removable covers to wash

compare with leather, if the leather got hole den jialet liao lol cus i see a few cases they stick tapes...

and it is very very warm if i put in living room without air con!

It is more of a personal preference whether one should go for fabric sofa or leather, each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Either leather or fabric, care must be taken to ensure its durability. And of course quality starts right from the beginning, of which where you bought your product. Leather ranges from imitation leather to genuine full grain leather. Even among those who sells genuine full grain leather there are of varying qualities as well. How the manufacturers do the tanning of the leather do affect the end product quality.

Infact leather is live and requires more maintanance than fabric. Its a skin, therefore moisturising is a must, just like how you take care of your own complexion. Leather if well used and maintained will give you a very nice aged look and shouldnt peel.

Coming back to Fabric sofas. Lesser maintanence is required. The only few things you must do is that depending on the fabric type there are special ways to clean them. Natural Fibre and Man made Fibre might require different cleaning methodologies.

Always ask the salesman to advice you on how to clean your sofa and also what type of fabric is used to make it.

And if you are afraid of spillage, sotchguard your sofa once every few years. It can save you a lot of trouble of dry cleaning as you could quickly clean up the spillage without having the drink to seep into the fibres so fast. It might prevent a stain if you are quick enough.

With Fabric Sofas, its not outdated to use slipcovers. A beautifully done sofa with slip cover will look as if it was a fixed cover!

Lastly with Fabric Sofas, the fabric quality is crucial as well, just like leather quality. Good quality fabrics will have its orginal colour preserved even with years of usage, of course i could recomend the better ones but will not guarantee 100%. It also depends on how u use the sofa too.

Oh…Dont forget the framework of a sofa! A sofa with a well constructed frame using good materials would last 10++ years minimum. With Fabric Sofa it is easier to reupholster as compared to leather. Dont be shocked at the cost to reupholster a leather sofa, each hide purchased to reupholster it might cost as much as a new leather sofa. Due to economies of scale.

Hope this helps.

Marcus

Danovel Pte Ltd - The Handcrafted Fabric Sofa

www.danovel.com