Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jule

Fridge/ Washer Base

Hi,

Want to ask, when you construct your fridge/ washer base, do you ask for dimension just enough for the Fridge/ Washer you are buying ? Is there like a "standard" or safe dimension which fits most fridges/washers ?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

mm... most washers will be somewhere ard 60cm width

as for fridge, it can be anything from 55cm-90cm

all these depends wat kinda of fridhe and washers you wanna buy.

if there's no space constrain for ur kitchen then no harm having a bigger base but if u have a space constrain like mi then it's better to look at the biggest fridge or washer u would want to buy and do a base according to that width and depth.

Fyi, most front load washers re 60cm wide. top load varies. buy mostly less than 60cm form under 7.5kg load.

fridge depends on whether it's one side open or two side open type.

so first aim ur fridge and washer then do the base

mm... most washers will be somewhere ard 60cm width

as for fridge, it can be anything from 55cm-90cm

all these depends wat kinda of fridhe and washers you wanna buy.

if there's no space constrain for ur kitchen then no harm having a bigger base but if u have a space constrain like mi then it's better to look at the biggest fridge or washer u would want to buy and do a base according to that width and depth.

Fyi, most front load washers re 60cm wide. top load varies. buy mostly less than 60cm form under 7.5kg load.

fridge depends on whether it's one side open or two side open type.

so first aim ur fridge and washer then do the base

Thanks. Actually the fridge I have in mind is <70cm. But my HTB ask what if I want to change to bigger fridge in future. My ID says a 90cm Base is a safe dimension for 1 side door fridge , but Im thinking is it a bit too big ?

For washer, Im constructing for both dryer n washer, side by side. Looking at a top load washer and front load dryer.

i chose not to do the fridge base because my current kitchen layout will allow me to upgrade to a bigger fridge without space constraints. now i'm just using the little plastic brick feet.

I think you'll need to be very decisive with the size of fridge that you think will be adequate for your use. With kitchen design and carpentry, one will not be able to accomodate all combination of fridge sizes etc.

And you might want to consider how the fridge sits with the rest of your kitchen cabinets. If you get a fridge that is too large, relative to the space you have in the kitchen, the whole place can look lopsided.

Having a cement base has its pluses and minuses. Plus - the risk of spillage right in front of the fridge can be rather high. When a spill occurs, it may spread under the fridge. So with a base, it saves you the hassle of needing to push the fridge out to clean under the fridge. Another plus - if you have a maid and the maid cannot resist splashing water in the kitchen floor when she scrubs the floor, then you will need a base to protect your fridge. The minus is of course, the restriction of the fridge you can have. But depending on the position of your fridge, if your fridge is in the middle of the row of kitchen cabinets, I don't see how without a base would make a difference to what size of fridges you can upgrade to. You would still be constrained by your built in kitchen cabinets.

In my new kitchen (I'd cement base in my existing home), I have not decided what i will be doing. I don't mind not having a base, but DH seems to prefer a base.

to me fridge base is a redundant work passed down from the 70s.

UNLESS you still wash your kitchen by splashing pails of water and scrub - like the way hawker centres are being wash. If not, then why do you need a fridge base??? Have you ask the ID/contractor/yourself - what is it for? what are the advantages of having a fridge base? :jawdrop:

me have no base for both washer and fridge

coz most actually come with 'legs' so base is redundant

i don't really like restrictions so the freedom to re-configure my home is a plus i.e. change position of washer/fridge :(

agreed with mace and applefreak... i decided to rid this item in the reno quotation... managed to cut a teeny weeny bit of cost... :(

maybe you like to ask do you really need the fridge base?? a permanent fixture now could means problems in the future when you wanna change fridge sizes... :rofl:

not to mention that it's a little dangerous

with the base protruding out, very easy to kick one's toe on it

come to think of it, my old place (almost 30yrs old)

also dun have washer/fridge base but we still wash the floor leh

no problem at all :yamseng:

I initially wanted to have fridge and WM bases too. When my Id asked me what you want those for? I stunned...i said duno leh...all other quotes i asked all include those bases leh...haha...then he told me nowadays not trendy to do bases liao unless you are those who plan to do hard washing in your kitchen.

And so I did away with the bases and saved me hundred over bucks...

Agree that if you decided to do the bases, u need to take note of the exact measurements of your fridge and WM, which means next time u want to change either item, it will be quite difficult to find the exact measurements to suit your bases.

Edited by Air

I would prefer the base, cos look nice. Else it will be dirty under the fridge and the washer.

For the washer, I do a long base, so I can put my pails and such. So it acts like a divider.

I would prefer the base, cos look nice. Else it will be dirty under the fridge and the washer.

For the washer, I do a long base, so I can put my pails and such. So it acts like a divider.

My fridge will be placed next to my row of cabinets at the end, so even if without a base, I will still need to decide how much space I need to leave for the fridge. Would prefer a base so it looks in line with the cabinet and also for washing the kitchen floor purpose.

For washer, I will put a long base, as I would be probably getting a dryer. For that, Im considering the Depth now.

to me fridge base is a redundant work passed down from the 70s.

UNLESS you still wash your kitchen by splashing pails of water and scrub - like the way hawker centres are being wash. If not, then why do you need a fridge base??? Have you ask the ID/contractor/yourself - what is it for? what are the advantages of having a fridge base? !!

how aboutt kitchen cabinet base? was it done?

how aboutt kitchen cabinet base? was it done?

I didnt want the cabinet base too but when they cleared everything away - that base was somewhat done by hdb - very solid concrete, not easy to hack :good: . so bobian....

quite a number of new kitchen designs nowadays dont have any cabinet base - cabinets looks like "hanging" from the wall.

ya... my ID suggested to 'hang' the kitchen cabinets'... but i scare if put heavy stuff, the cabinets will not hold... better '脚踏实地' better... hee... ols lazy to wash xtra area.. .. :jawdrop: