Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
luv-to-bake

Built-in oven

Hi st2,

The steel grids pose no hassle while using normal baking trays and pans, which fit in the oven. The only time I find them cumbersome is when I am using over sized foil pans, which need to be reshaped when putting in the oven. But as these occasions are quite few (only when I have a large crowd to feed and the item cannot be split in 2 pans) I have no problem. The internal grids would definitely be a plus point, but the rack is not a major inconvenience.

Till now, the best method I have found for cleaning the fan as well as interior walls is to put baking soda and vinegar with water in a pan and heat it in oven at high temp. The grease is much easier to wipe off. Its not spotlessly clean (or I am too lazy to try harder), but as I said earlier I could not justify adding 1k just for the convenience of cleaning ;-).

Btw, thanks for your reminder for giving feedback. I realized how selfish we are in just taking inputs and not bothering to comeback with our own experiences.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Strata

Thanks for sharing. I couldn't justify adding 1K for the pyrolytic cleaning either.

The interior looks small with the racks on both sides taking up space. May I ask, if you've tried putting 2 pcs of 8" round cake tins on 1 grid, will it fit without touching?

Or if you put it them on 2 grids with the fan on + Top + bottom heat, do the cakes cook evenly?

You've been very generous to share. Thank you.

Hi st2,

2 8'' tins do fit on the rack with bit of adjustment, without touching. I have not tried baking cakes on different levels, only cookies as I can rotate cookies midways. I have baked cookies on convection setting without rotating, too, but the rotated ones look slightly more even coloured. I always thought cake won't bake evenly on two racks and I didn't want to open door to change racks for cakes. But I will give it a try in few days time and let you know if it works without rotating.

811 is a bit smaller compared to Bosch and Ariston in the same range, but it was more suited for my needs. Bosch was quite tempting, but did not have "only bottom" heating, which I find useful for pies and tarts and other users had complained about Ariston after sales service. The Brandt is so far so good (keeping my fingers crossed).

Hi st2,

2 8'' tins do fit on the rack with bit of adjustment, without touching. I have not tried baking cakes on different levels, only cookies as I can rotate cookies midways. I have baked cookies on convection setting without rotating, too, but the rotated ones look slightly more even coloured. I always thought cake won't bake evenly on two racks and I didn't want to open door to change racks for cakes. But I will give it a try in few days time and let you know if it works without rotating.

811 is a bit smaller compared to Bosch and Ariston in the same range, but it was more suited for my needs. Bosch was quite tempting, but did not have "only bottom" heating, which I find useful for pies and tarts and other users had complained about Ariston after sales service. The Brandt is so far so good (keeping my fingers crossed).

Hihi...

I was deciding between Bosch and Brandt... after reading the reviews, I think I'll get a brandt oven. I'm very much into baking and will bake at least once a week... anything from cakes, cookies, tarts, breads etc. Thogh I don't cook, I intend to when I move into my new house...

Can anyone recommend what model of brandt oven should I get? Should I get the basic FE811XS1? Is it good enough for all kinds of baking and perhaps future for my grilling, roasting, etc. Or should I get other models? FE8 is 52 litres. Are there bigger capacity models that I can consider in case I'd like to do a bit of bake sale? My budget is below $2k and I don't fancy self-cleaning technology. Most importantly is the result of baking. Please advise! :)

Hi Strata

Thanks for sharing!

As long as the rack of Brandt can fit 2 pcs of 8" cake tins without touching each other and the sides, that's ok for me. I would not want to switch upper and lower racks at half time for cakes too, I'm afraid especially sponge cakes may collapse.

My experience with 2 trays of cookies, same as yours.......makes me wonder if the fan is that useful, saving 5-10 mins of baking time compared to conventional ovens. Perhaps if doing many batches of cookies would be great time saver though, but not really for just 2 trays.

Bottom only heat is indeed useful and needed for pies and tarts. Bosch side racks are even bigger and take up more interior space. Mayer is always out of stock for this and that, not just for their Ariston stuff, also for the Kitchen Aid parts. I've had to wait for months for parts and they can't commit to when the parts will arrive.

Thanks again for sharing. Really appreciate it.

Hi st2,

Which Kitchen Aid do you have? I am actually eyeing the Cuisinart FP and have made multiple rounds to Mayer in different malls, but I simply hate the attitude of the sales staff there. If I have to buy, then it will be from Tangs or Pantry Magic.

I usually bake 6 to 7 dozen cookies for PTA meets or my children's outings, so the convection is really useful for me. If I keep my dough ready overnight, I am out of kitchen in less than an hour as compared to the ages I used to take with my conventional oven. I also find it useful for roasting chicken, lamb shank or pork knuckle.

Do let us know when you make your big purchase :-).

Hi Waikwok,

All the standard built-in models range from 51 ltrs to 58 ltrs. But if you see the actual space, there isn't much difference to base our decision. If you really need a substantially big oven, you can try the Ariston Openspace Oven which is 70 ltrs and fits in the same dimensions of the regular built-in cabinet. I would suggest you take cardboard cutouts of the maximum dimensions you need while window shopping, so that you can test for yourself. Rina Electricals at Shaw Centre displays all the models of major European Brands. Other stores may just display a few and show catalogue for rest. So its best to check the model at Rina and then purchase it from whoever gives you the best price.

Hi Strata

Wow, with that much cookies you make, the convection function indeed helps. May I ask, where did you purchase your 811 and for how much?

It's been months I've been waiting for a replacement hose for my Ariston dryer. Still usable, just a few holes here and there....

I bought Kitchen Aid mixer about 7 years ago. At the time, I was looking for the splatter guard, since it took so long waiting and they never got back to me, I've lived without it.

Also, 2 years ago, was waiting for a stainless steel flat beater, same thing. My current beater is full white enamel coated, the connecting part to the motor head, the enamel has a small peeling bit. Still good to use, just the peeling bothers me a bit.

Just last month, I wanted to get the ice cream bowl, also out of stock, they say they'll call me when it arrives, they don't know when....this one I will chase them for it, I really want to make ice cream!!!!

You mean Cuisinart Food processor? hey...I am looking for a food processor too, mainly for making short crust pastry, something compact, I already have a blender so I don't want to spend too much on the FP.

What model are you looking at, what are your needs? any recommendations for my needs? When using FP for cake batters, does the texture of the baked cake taste the same as using the mixer/beater?

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by st2

Hi st2,

The problem with Mayer is that they know that they have a captive market, as they have sole distributership of many of their products. A real pity, as most of the appliances they sell are quite good.

I have never used a Food Processor before for my doughs, but I too want it mainly for shortcrust pastries ( and pizza and bread dough). Like you I also have a blender and in addition a heavy duty mixer grinder. So I have not rushed to buy the Cuisinart (model MP14 is the only medium sized one available for Singapore). I am also looking at Bosch MUM46CR as I don't have a kitchen machine ( I use a Phillips stand mixer) and this model has both KM and FP. But I am not finding enough reviews for the Bosch. Whereas Cuisinart, KitchenAid and Magimix have quite a big following. Of the 3, Cuisinart is the cheapest and for dough its supposed to give the best results. The price is stable at 499 in Mayer, Tangs and Pantry Magic over last year or so, with no one ready to come down. I am waiting with the hope that they will eventually have a sale ;-). If you want something in lower budget, you can try Braun Multiquik 3. It retails at 189, but I have seen it at 169 in Best Denki few months back during a sale. Again, there isn't enough feedback on Braun.

I brought Brandt one year back (Jan 2010) from Mega Discount Store at SGD840.

Are you happy with your KitchenAid? I would love to have KitchenAid Kitchen Machine some day, but I don't want to freak out my hubby as he is already not convinced over the need for a FP.

I totally understand about wanting to make ice cream. I bought Phillips ice cream machine a few months back and home made ice cream is great. I find it most useful for making plain old vanilla. We get a lot of great flavours and fancy ice cream outside, but a good quality vanilla is really difficult to find. Those that are good as quite expensive and its quite killing to pay that price for a vanilla ice cream.

Hi Strata

I agree with you on the Mayer issues.

For short crust pastry, a FP is really the best equipment, I've done the rubbing with fingers, pastry cutter, even with my KitchenAid (they claim it can do this) it gets all messy and inconsistent results. My cousin uses FP, she has a very old and small one, think it's Moulinex, it turns out great all the time every time. I want to avoid cluttering my kitchen counter....running out of storage space too, but FP is really the way to go for short crust pastry.

Checked out the same 3 brands you mentioned, but very reluctant to pay that price, even for Cuisinart because I know I probably only use for SC pastry. The Cuisinart MP14 seems to be able to do a lot based on the specs, it even includes doing dough and whisking, that's impressive. I suppose if I don't already have my kitchenaid mixer, I might get this!!!

I actually have a Braun Multiquick, it's an old one, the cup is quite small, maybe for 1 pie crust. What I had in mind was to make some of my favourite cookies which is SC pastry.

I am happy with my KitchenAid mixer, it's heavy, really heavy.....just too much for me to move it around or store, so it has a permanent place on the kitchen counter. I bought some quilted fabric (so it's stiff enough to stand) from Spotlight and had a tent shape sewed to keep it covered (bowl attached) when not in use. The flat beater does its job, so does the dough hook and balloon whisk. I make bread dough without hand kneading most of the time, whipping cream and egg whites is a breeze.

With the attachments like food grinder, citrus juicer, sausage stuffer etc, available it is a really good machine to have in the kitchen, though I think for average Singapore families, we probably won't use these attachments. I was very excited to know that the ice cream bowl is available so I don't need to buy a separate ice cream machine. I feel the same way about vanilla ice cream too!

What do you think of Philips FP? I checked out the local website, HR7772 and HR7620 looks like a nice size and at a price range (I think under $200) I'm comfortable with.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by st2

Thanks for all your help st2 and strata. Like i say, i am really at lost, my WTB even more jialat cos she dun cook. I will probably go to Rina to take a look and i am kinda leaning towards Brandt.

I have a De Dietrich hob and hood and oven in my current place now. Never really use the oven much just the hob for cooking most of the time. And yes, i need a conventional one to cook my chilli crabs!!!! And u mentioned concealed ones are easier to clean yea. i will go find out wats the difference coz i have no idea at all.

I and probably not gonna get those fridge with water and ice dispenser coz i heard from few frds that the rubber tend to get lose and water drips after a few years. Just a simple one will do for me. Was looking at side by side coz its easy to get things out from either the freezer or the chiller.

The advice on the microwave is good!!!!! wanted to built in but i think theres no point if its gonna coz much more.

Thanks again for the advice and will keep u guys updated once i get my stuff and thats probably gonna b in april when i get my keys and reno done.

Hi talkalot,

any reviews on ur Bosch oven?

Hi avatarsun,

eventually which models did u get for the bosch hob+hood+oven?

Where? Price?

I need your advise for my upcoming new home...

Also, can anyone advise as I'm doing my home Reno soon... How much space do I need to set aside for my built in oven in my kitchen cabinet? Or do I need to decide on the model of the oven before deriving the space required??

Pls help...

Thanks!

Hi jmt

You should plan your kitchen layout, where you want your oven to be installed.

After you have bought your oven, you should have a copy of the built in dimensions (given by the seller) to give to your cabinet maker.

hi st2,

thanks for advising.. in that case, i'll decide on my oven before carpentry starts..

after reading ur reviews, i'll probably be getting the brandt 811 oven as well.. :-)

Hi st2,

Have not done much homework on Phillips. I did not like the look of it very much, though it seems to be good value for money. My Phillips blender conked off within a few months, so I did not check the FP.

Counter space is a major hassle. One other reason I am delaying my purchases.

Thanks for the info on KitchenAid. Its on my wish list after FP :-).

Hi Strata

I also wonder about Philips quality.....I have not seen the actual Philips FP, only online researching the FPs. If there is no FP thread, perhaps we can catch up on the FP info by PM?

Right now, I'm looking forward to the KitchenAid ice cream bowl.

Thanks for all your sharing, really appreciate it. At least I know now that Brandt oven would be a good choice for me.

Happy Chinese New Year holidays to you and everyone here!