Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
countrylover

Our Cosy Country Home

We were painting the ceiling last weekend and to our dismay, scraps of skim coat from the ceiling started falling off in our MBR. Argghhhh!!!

This is not the 1st time that such a thing has happened. The 1st incident occurred in Dec last year. What lousy HDB workmanship! And it's not minor, the damage in the MBR was about 50cm wide! We called HDB to complain and they sent some workers to patch up the hole on Tue. I insisted that they inspect the entire flat, as I'm sure the defects could be found elsewhere. True enough, they found more hollow spots in the common bedrooms and living rooms. By the end of Tue, there were big holes everywhere. :furious:

The workers took 2 days to patch up the ceiling. Today they came back again, as I insisted that they repaint the ceilings for me. We were almost done painting the ceilings and this doesn't make sense. It's HDB's fault and obviously, they have to take the responsibility.

Here's what happened to my living room in Dec 07 :

s320x240.jpg

s320x2401.jpg

Now this!

DSC06118.jpg

DSC06111.jpg

Keeping my fingers crossed that this will not happen again. Thank God I've not finished the final coats of painting and installed the lights. If not, I'll end up having to dismantle the lights for HDB to fix the ceilings! :bangwall:

Edited by countrylover

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

We met up with the carpenter this afternoon. She did the measurements for the various carpentry items such as :

- Kitchen cabinet

- shoe rack (full-height)

- slidng doors for household shelter

- partition for living/dining area

- MBR wardrobe

The budget we've allocated for all the items is about $8k. Hopefully she can work something out for us within our budget, if not might have to consider forgoing certain items. :(

My preference is to have everything done in solid wood but that's challenging, as I think it's impossible with our tight budget. I hope to have at least a solid wood kitchen cabinet as that's something really important to me. As for the other items, I'm willing to close one eye and go with whatever we can afford. The other alternative will be to do everything in postfoam finishing. Looks like solid wood but at a fraction of its price.

I went to Forest Woodworking at Thomson Plaza yesterday to take a look. I knew what they have is way beyond my budget, but went anyway to satisfy my curiousity. :bleah: Their stuff are really gorgeous, exactly what I want for my kitchen cabinet. Spoke to the designer and she said it'll probably cost around $8K. That's the price we have to pay for quality stuff I guess. Anyway, found out what I need from them, to clear some doubts I had, which also helps in my decision making and communication with my carpenter. :notti:

At the same time, chanced upon this shop, De Art at Thomson Plaza. They carry beautiful shabby chic items which I wanted so much to buy for my new home! The moment I walked in, I was hooked! :sport-smiley-004: I think they've been around for a few years, just that I didn't have a chance to visit them. Find their prices quite reasonable too, compared to some cottage chic shops I've gone to. Saw some really gorgeous lamps, clocks and cushion covers that I wanna get. Anyway, I've decided to "cheong" for the shop after my next payday. :deal:

Saw some oil paintings for sale at one shop too (can't remember the name) but it's located at the 1st floor. Think they are pretty expensive though. :(

Haha...so many things to buy but money no enough. :bleah:

Saw some oil paintings for sale at one shop too (can't remember the name) but it's located at the 1st floor. Think they are pretty expensive though. :(

Edra Creations? We bought a painting from them, price ok, $100+.

Edra Creations? We bought a painting from them, price ok, $100+.

Yup, that's them! I remembered the shop name started with an "E" but can't rem the full name. :unsure:

What kind of painting did you buy and what's the size? I'm eyeing a few with flora designs and country scenes. Mind to PM me the photo of what you've got? Or maybe next weekend can drop by your place to look see. :notti:

aiyo! bad hdb bad hdb! :rolleyes:

btw your lights are really really nice!

Sigh, I went back yesterday and had another shock. My HB inspected the whole living room ceiling to see if they've done a good job and found hollow spots all over the place. He ended up spending a few hrs to scrap off all the areas with defects. I meant to upload the photos last nite but didn't have time to. Will do so these few days.

Really, really angry and upset...3rd time this has happened already! Now my living room has at least 6-8 patches of chipped off ceiling. :furious: Not sure if the Tanglin Halt neighbours also experience this, as I've not heard anyone complaining.

Have asked my HB to call HDB this morning and whack them! We actually planned to finish all painting by this weekend and move in soon, but seems that has to be postponed already. By hook or by crook will have to move by end of June, if not we'll all be homeless come July. :(

It's a total waste of our money on the paint and worse, our time and effort! :bangwall:

We met up with the carpenter this afternoon. She did the measurements for the various carpentry items such as :

- Kitchen cabinet

- shoe rack (full-height)

- slidng doors for household shelter

- partition for living/dining area

- MBR wardrobe

The budget we've allocated for all the items is about $8k. Hopefully she can work something out for us within our budget, if not might have to consider forgoing certain items. :(

My preference is to have everything done in solid wood but that's challenging, as I think it's impossible with our tight budget. I hope to have at least a solid wood kitchen cabinet as that's something really important to me. As for the other items, I'm willing to close one eye and go with whatever we can afford. The other alternative will be to do everything in postfoam finishing. Looks like solid wood but at a fraction of its price.

I went to Forest Woodworking at Thomson Plaza yesterday to take a look. I knew what they have is way beyond my budget, but went anyway to satisfy my curiousity. :bleah: Their stuff are really gorgeous, exactly what I want for my kitchen cabinet. Spoke to the designer and she said it'll probably cost around $8K. That's the price we have to pay for quality stuff I guess. Anyway, found out what I need from them, to clear some doubts I had, which also helps in my decision making and communication with my carpenter. :notti:

At the same time, chanced upon this shop, De Art at Thomson Plaza. They carry beautiful shabby chic items which I wanted so much to buy for my new home! The moment I walked in, I was hooked! :sport-smiley-004: I think they've been around for a few years, just that I didn't have a chance to visit them. Find their prices quite reasonable too, compared to some cottage chic shops I've gone to. Saw some really gorgeous lamps, clocks and cushion covers that I wanna get. Anyway, I've decided to "cheong" for the shop after my next payday. :deal:

Haha...so many things to buy but money no enough. :bleah:

I think i went to De Art before. 2nd floor right? Nice quaint stuff. Remembered seeing a kitty clock and wanted to disturb Applefreak. :lol: Although it's a small shop, it's squeezed up till ceilings. :)

I think i went to De Art before. 2nd floor right? Nice quaint stuff. Remembered seeing a kitty clock and wanted to disturb Applefreak. :lol: Although it's a small shop, it's squeezed up till ceilings. :)

Yup it's on the 2nd floor. When I walked in, I just had the feeling I wanna buy over the whole shop! :lol:

There's another shop at Bukit Timah Plaza called Le Cozy. Been trying to find time to check them out.

Yup it's on the 2nd floor. When I walked in, I just had the feeling I wanna buy over the whole shop! :lol:

There's another shop at Bukit Timah Plaza called Le Cozy. Been trying to find time to check them out.

:good: I think they may have something tt might suit somewhere in our hse, though mine's not country theme. :) I think i stood there gawking at the entrance for a gd 1/2 min before i start to explore. Gives u the feeling like a gem waiting to be polished. :)

Yup, that's them! I remembered the shop name started with an "E" but can't rem the full name. :unsure:

What kind of painting did you buy and what's the size? I'm eyeing a few with flora designs and country scenes. Mind to PM me the photo of what you've got? Or maybe next weekend can drop by your place to look see. :notti:

PMed

Haha, guess what, we just went by the shop this afternoon. Wife and I eat snake today, no go work, go jalan jalan... :P

But this shop is a bit smaller...

hi..i tried to PM u but your mailbox is full ;)

Opps so sorry! Have cleared my mailbox already. ;)

PMed

Haha, guess what, we just went by the shop this afternoon. Wife and I eat snake today, no go work, go jalan jalan... :P

But this shop is a bit smaller...

Wow, so nice! So did you get anything? But I think the things there not cheap huh? I saw one of their auctions in ebay for hand-painted poster-frame bed. Makes me wanna :dribble:. But no budget for it...costs $1400+! :curse:

f70f_1.JPG

Wow, so nice! So did you get anything? But I think the things there not cheap huh? I saw one of their auctions in ebay for hand-painted poster-frame bed. Makes me wanna :dribble:. But no budget for it...costs $1400+! :curse:

f70f_1.JPG

Wah, this bed like very fairy-taled :D We just happened to walk by, look look see see only.

Wah, this bed like very fairy-taled :D We just happened to walk by, look look see see only.

LOL. Think my bedroom will end up looking very girly. My HB gonna kill me le. 8|:notti:

Sigh, I went back yesterday and had another shock. My HB inspected the whole living room ceiling to see if they've done a good job and found hollow spots all over the place. He ended up spending a few hrs to scrap off all the areas with defects. I meant to upload the photos last nite but didn't have time to. Will do so these few days.

Really, really angry and upset...3rd time this has happened already! Now my living room has at least 6-8 patches of chipped off ceiling. :furious: Not sure if the Tanglin Halt neighbours also experience this, as I've not heard anyone complaining.

Have asked my HB to call HDB this morning and whack them! We actually planned to finish all painting by this weekend and move in soon, but seems that has to be postponed already. By hook or by crook will have to move by end of June, if not we'll all be homeless come July. :(

It's a total waste of our money on the paint and worse, our time and effort! :bangwall:

Hey Countrylover

I have never heard of this ceiling coming off problem. Care to explain more on how to check for them? You mean parts of the ceiling came falling off after you paint them?

thank you

Hey Countrylover

I have never heard of this ceiling coming off problem. Care to explain more on how to check for them? You mean parts of the ceiling came falling off after you paint them?

thank you

There is this layer of skim coat that covers our concrete ceilings, some sort of a kind of plastering. It's the same as checking your floor or wall tiles. Need to basically knock with a hard object to see if it's hollow. There's a diff between the sound made by a hard and hollow surface. My HB said it could be due to the poor quality of the plastering used by HDB, that's why it dropped again and again. :furious:

However, if you have false ceilings all over your flat, this shouldn't be a problem. Cos if the skim coat comes off, it will fall on the inside of the false ceilings instead. Then again, it doesn't make sense. The first time it happened end last year, we have not even started renovating, let alone use anything to knock the ceilings! And to think that it comes off after painting is absurd! My HB merely knocked on them gently to check, and they started cracking. It's not that we were drilling the ceilings or what. Sigh...