Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
big orange

Bedok Central

$500k jewellery heist at Bedok

by Evelyn Choo

05:55 AM Apr 24, 2010

SINGAPORE - Armed men made off with about half a million dollars worth of jewellery during a daylight robbery in Bedok Central on Friday.

The police received a call at about 3pm about the incident at Yong Sheng Goldsmith (picture) at Block 210. Eyewitnesses told MediaCorp that they heard a woman yelling from the goldsmith shop.

Ms Amanda Tan said: "I heard someone run across and shout 'robbery, robbery!' in Chinese."

By then, the shutters at Yong Sheng had been rolled down halfway.

Peering into the shop, eyewitnesses said they saw three masked men, all dressed in black. They said two of the suspects jumped over the counter.

The robbery lasted for about two minutes, after which the three men calmly walked out of the shop, witnesses said. Two of them were carrying bags, while the other had a 30cm long knife, the witnesses added.

"They carried a sling bag ... They walked like normal people," said another eyewitness, Ms Sarina Goh.

Police said the suspects fled on two motorbikes with an assortment of jewellery valued at half a million dollars.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Police nab one Bedok goldsmith robber, search continues for others

By Evelyn Choo | Posted: 28 April 2010 1835 hrs

phpuja6HK.jpg

SINGAPORE: Police have arrested a 35-year-old man in relation to the goldsmith shop robbery last week. The shop, located at Bedok Central, lost more than S$800,000 worth of jewellery. Police said they arrested the man late Tuesday night after extensive enquiries. Investigations are on-going to trace other accomplices involved.

Witnesses told MediaCorp they saw three masked men walking out of the goldsmith shop last Friday. The arrested man will be charged in court on Thursday with armed robbery. If convicted, he faces a maximum jail term of 10 years and 12 strokes of the cane.

Hi guys,

My wife just lost one of her heels outside the house.

1 heel only....

someone have declared WAR!

Let just hope it a one time off event. :D

Edited by big orange

Armed suspect in goldsmith robbery nabbed

Apr 29, 2010

ONE of three suspects behind the armed robbery at a goldsmith shop in New Upper Changi Road last Friday has been arrested.

A police spokesman said the 35-year-old man was nabbed on Tuesday night, following extensive investigations in which the police managed to identify him and track him down.

The spokesman did not elaborate on how the suspect was caught as investigations are still under way to track down his two accomplices, who remain at large.

The robbery at Yong Sheng Goldsmiths at Block 210, New Upper Changi Road, saw three men making off with jewellery over $800,000. The men went into the shop, brandished their knives and pulled down the shop's shutters.

Shouting at the four employees there to move behind the counter and squat down, they opened the shelves and emptied trays of jewellery into bags.

Witnesses from neighbouring shops said they heard a commotion and thought it was a quarrel. The robbery, which lasted about five minutes, happened at about 3.30pm.

The police said the suspects are believed to have fled on two motorcycles in the direction of New Upper Changi Road. They were last seen wearing helmets and were clad in dark-coloured long-sleeved tops and jeans.

No one was held hostage or injured during the attack, which took place on a crowded street in Bedok Central.

The owner of the shop had earlier told The Straits Times that closed-circuit television footage of the incident had been handed over to the authorities.

Anyone with information should call the police hotline on 1800-255-0000.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Armed robbery of $800,000 worth of jewellery vs petty sabotage by pinching of ONE heel? :bleah:

Where's the contest in terms of news worthiness & importance to the Bedok Central community???

Unless it's 1 half of Stuart Weitzman’s Rita Hayworth Heels lah, then it makes some gossip fodder by creating a big HOOHAA over it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Goldsmith robber charged

Apr 29, 2010

By Elena Chong

A MAN was charged in a district court on Thursday with the goldsmith robbery at New Upper Changi Road last Friday. No plea was taken from Koh Koon Hong, 35.

He is alleged to have robbed Yong Sheng Goldsmith of $860,000 worth of jewellery with two others while armed with a knife.

He was remanded at Central police station lock-up until May 6. If convicted, he faces a jail term of up to 10 years and at least 12 strokes of the cane

Edited by DSA

Am I getting too sensitive? Or you are trying to advice me to cut and paste more of such articles which you have imported from ST?

I hope we can be friendly here. Thanks :)

Edited by big orange

Hi, do you have a cupboard outside your place?

No wor...dun have..

i am thinking whether it could be the kids play play and throw the heel away..

cannot be steal, nobod steal 1 heel.

Am I getting too sensitive? Or you are trying to advice me to cut and paste more of such articles which you have imported from ST?
Anyone, everyone, except perhaps you, knows all the news I posted here are either from ST or CNA. The link in the news points to the source. I guess u never bother to click on them at all. Moreover, did I ever once claim credit for authoring those news reports?

And, yes u are overly sensitive coz your ego felt bruised.

Anyone, everyone, except perhaps you, knows all the news I posted here are either from ST or CNA. The link in the news points to the source. I guess u never bother to click on them at all. Moreover, did I ever once claim credit for authoring those news reports?

And, yes u are overly sensitive coz your ego felt bruised.

Did i not know that the information you have simply cut and paste not from ST/CNA? Did you read what i posted?

Many times in this forum, you have been being very insensitive toward other people posting. You know that i'm not the first to say so...

Right in the begining, you have not exercise restraint on your comment or posting, it lead to many comments when i visit the neighbours during meet-up on initial renovation. ok, lets be frank. It is all negative.

I choose to keep quiet and not respond to your post so far. By posting a "salute boy", your ego felt bruised (your words). And that lead to this?

Com'on lah. Can we be friendly here? Thanks!

Edited by big orange

Harmony is the key of living in differences =)

There are threats that are of big concern but let not forget the petty crime that when times come become bigger.

Respect the contributors as all meant for the well being of the neighbourhood.

May there be peace, fun and safe for many years to come.

Did i not know that the information you have simply cut and paste not from ST/CNA? Did you read what i posted?
Of course, u knew! U just couldn't stomach that I commented on your personal rant on your wife losing her heel, and u went squealing "This is war!" Whichever combat training u underwent, if this is how u gonna go for your ICT and turn combative over a heel? I dread to be your commanding officer. Even your inability to comprehend simple English is evidently apparent :bleah:

Precisely I see your post: Your wife lost a heel, BIG DEAL! Some shop lost $860,000! Is your unit in Linear Green even worth $860k??

Someone's wife lost her panties, another's wife lost her bra, one particular hussyband lost his ballz - who in Linear Green is interested in your own sorry plight?

There are far more important issues happening in Linear Green than u losing your face, your fat ego feeling bruised or your wife losing her heel.

Do I give an iota of a da.mn about what your & your kind's opinion of me? Absolutely NOT! Coz they are all irrelevant & useless. I suffer no fools and I categorically reject mediocrity. I will be right on the blood than to please people like u.

Edited by DSA

It shall end here. I do not wish LGiers to get personal here. To each their own.

Afterall, this is a forum. zz

By the way, the heel still have not recovered. Hopefully it is a one time off thing, and there will not be those ppl who go around the blocks to do shoes 'shopping'.

TGIF, and enjoy ur weekend and holiday!! (especially to my kind)

storm-labor.jpg

Edited by big orange