Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lawry

Those Who Did Bifold Door For Your Toilet ...

If you are staying in a resale flat, and you asked for bifold doors for your MBR toilet & kitchen toilet renovation, please do me a favour, take a look at it, make a comparison and revert here.

If you haven't done your renovation, please take note if you are using some Bgrade contractor.

Is your old door frame still there?

Think : What purpose does it serve?

I had to DIY my kitchen toilet door grouting the other day.. *done* And I noticed something peculiar. :dunno:

My kitchen toilet bifold door is sitting on walls since there probably wasn't an old existing door frame before renovation, so the walls were plastered flat. Nice and clean lines and wider entrace (width 31inches)

whereas my MBR toilet entrance is noticably narrower (27 inches) because the bifold door is fixed on the old door frame, the frames were much fatter since there's 2... and the white paint they used is turning yellow and there's a contrast with the door color (bluish white)

I don't know if this is something which we have to point out during the renovation

or it's a norm that bifold doors are installed that way

or it's a special request which we have to pay extra

or should it be common sense that the door frame be removed before installing the bifold door?

What's yours like?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi sinner, thanks for your input.

Apologies for not making myself clear in my first post.

What you have mentioned is a very possible scenario for those who only installed a Bifold door for their renovation, wall/floor tiles remained, hence the doorframe wasn't removed because hacking it would potentially disturb the existing tiles.

But unforturnately it's not applicable in my case here, I had an overhaul.

I've taken some photos, let the pictures speak for themselves.

Kitchen toilet - no existing doorframe, floor/wall tiles all removed and replaced.

Bifold door installed on plastered walls, sharp and clean lines.

picture061tl0.jpg

Bedroom toilet - old wall/floor tiles all removed and replaced.

Bifold door resting on existing doorframe?

picture064pd9.jpg

Photo taken outside toilet entrance, beige portion is the old doorframe, bluish white is the bifold door, tiles are new, insides and kerb.

picture067ir9.jpg

Photo taken from inside the toilet, wall/floor tiles were replaced.

Removing the doorframe in this case would only affect the wall finishing, which can be smoothen up by plastering, which I've opted for all walls in the entire house. The overlay laminates for the room would not be affected. The kerb made of new tiles would have to be extended, not an issue.

Is there any reason for the doorframe to be there?

I'm inclined to think that it's a case of "I can't be bothered sloppy job, so long I gave you a door and it can close can liao".

An ID/contractor who has done several renovations wouldn't have possibly missed out that redundant doorframe compared to a first timer renovatee like me. It's just sad that I noticed it now and not while the renovation is ongoing when it can still be rectified, I've salvaged several potential mistakes along the way, but it's too bad that I missed this glaring one.

I'm highlighting this issue for the benefit of those who has yet to renovate their house, this is something you might want to take note of in case your ID blatantly missed it. ;)

Edited by lawry

My existing resale house toilet has no door frame, coz my toilet was hacked and redo, probably they knew I'll be doing bi-fold (from quotation) and removed it during reno.

My new house, toilet is done by gahment, dunno how many years cannot hack, so the door frame is still there.

Therefore my deduction is that if your toilet was hacked and redo, then the door frame will most likely be removed too.

My existing resale house toilet has no door frame, coz my toilet was hacked and redo, probably they knew I'll be doing bi-fold (from quotation) and removed it during reno.

My new house, toilet is done by gahment, dunno how many years cannot hack, so the door frame is still there.

Therefore my deduction is that if your toilet was hacked and redo, then the door frame will most likely be removed too.

I would think so too, it's only logical that it's removed before adding in another door. :furious:

Can you imagine if I paid for a $800 frosted glass door as recommended and that stupid frame is still there? :jawdrop:

On that eyesore doorframe, it's decided that it will be a bifold since day 1, weren't any other changes along the way, so there's no excuse for that.

As for STOMP, it might be a bit too drastic. I'm holding back because my ID is basically quite an obliging and friendly lady, at least for most parts of it. She only got a bit anyhow towards the end when 95% of the payment is collected and 95% of the job is done. She still gets 80/100 for her efforts. I don't really want to get her into trouble.

But the workers and their appalling standards/attitude is something else altogether ...

Consumers should know what to expect and get what they are paying for, hence I do need to raise some issues here for knowledge sharing.

What I have mentioned in the threads (grouting, doorframe) is just the tip of the iceberg, there are quite a few areas which I'm not satisfied with. In fact, I've withheld the last 5% of the payment till now unless they want to rectify the many outstanding issues. I'd be glad to keep that remaining 5% since I think I've overpaid for some of the terribly lousy workmanship.

As for asking them to rectify ...

Gosh, I can't imagine having to handle those people again ...

I've tolerated nonsense like, just to name a few

~ asked to choose tiles even before I get to see any 3D graphics on color coordination in a room (tiles colors against wall colors and what goes for carpentry laminates).

(There wasn't even any computer generated graphic design to speak of ... basically I think only IDs of interior design firms are capable of doing that, contractors are not)

~ towel hooks, one higher than the other *speechless*

(Is there any excuse for that nonchalance??? I could have demanded to have that tile replaced and hole drilled again. Last 5%)

~ lousy paintjob all over my window frames

(don't they tape up the areas they don't want to paint on? Clean up that mess, last 5%)

~ white grouting on gray tiles, areas that are in contact frequently will turn gray (dirty) eventually, while some parts remain white..

(why can't they use gray grouting as I requested?)

~ some black, some white, some grey groutings on black tiles due to retouch,

(insisted that the packing says black when it's obviously white, redone, but it's still in a mess of white/gray/black)

~ cheapest parts used by default, no sense of aesthetics and class, I would be willing to pay if I knew my options.

(Like a metal drainage hair trap against black tiles instead of a cheapo PVC white?)

~ holes drilled wrongly in cabinets and disgustingly/messily patched up with some white paste which turned yellow.

~ carpentry dimensions extended for $300, but not proportionate, the whole design skewed because there were 2 colors used.

~ kitchen hood not in the centre (I've another question with the installation of this hood as well, will raise it in another thread)

I'll put up some photos to support my claims tomorrow, in fact I've been quite tempted to set up a tblog for a long time, but it's weird that I'm groaning about all the unsatisfactories in the blog...

Edited by lawry

picture069ez1.jpg

A preview of their nonchalance here.

I know, this should be in a tblog since this is not really relevant to the topic.

What I have here is 2 hooks, for hanging towels,

Don't ask me why it's one up and the other down, it should be aligned.

Edited by lawry

Very lousy workmanship, didn't bother to measure the position before they mount the hooks.

And I also think that your old door frame should be removed before installing the bi-fold door. Really not nice leh. What is the reason given by your ID for keeping it?

Before they install the hooks, I actually measured & marked spots on the wall with a pencil before they mount. But suay suay there were 2 extra hooks and I can't decide where to put, so he suggested this area where I have one hook for a face/hand towel. There wasn't a mark there since it's last minute decision, but never did I expect it to go so off like it.

About the hooks, I asked my ID about it but she just shrug it off like it's not a big deal. I have yet to confront her about keeping the door frame, sad to say, I only realised it 2 days ago after so long. :(

my contractor hack down the door frames from day 1 when bi-folds were to be installed leh..dun understand why urs doesnt.should really fight for ur rights, get them to re-install the bi-folds and the hooks again, and to replace the drilled tiles...should not pay for sloppy works!

Oh dear lawry, so sorry to read of the problems that you had with your renovation.

Do you happen to know the bi fold door installation company who did the doors at your apartment? Perhaps you can talk to them direct and see what they can suggest to rectify the problem.

It's unfortunate that you have only discover this eye sore recently.

If I'm in your shoes, I'd insist that they rebuilt the door. I don't think it's all that difficult to replace the black tiles in that area. What's their excuse? :furious:

I wonder if it helps if you write to your contractor formally and give them a time line to rectify the problems.

picture069ez1.jpg

A preview of their nonchalance here.

I know, this should be in a tblog since this is not really relevant to the topic.

What I have here is 2 hooks, for hanging towels,

Don't ask me why it's one up and the other down, it should be aligned.

This is exactly the reasons why we didn't want the contractors to mount these fittings for us. Tom's meticulous in this aspect and he'd rather do it himself. As for me, I'm always finding ways to 'control the mess'.

070618%20white%20board%20mount%207710.jp & 070618%20paper%20tray%207714.jpg

I have a suggestion:-

Buy another 2 or more hooks like the ones in your pix and mount them at different heights. :dancingqueen:

Tom consoled, "that would make the error seem intentional!" :notti:

my contractor hack down the door frames from day 1 when bi-folds were to be installed leh..dun understand why urs doesnt.should really fight for ur rights, get them to re-install the bi-folds and the hooks again, and to replace the drilled tiles...should not pay for sloppy works!

Oh dear lawry, so sorry to read of the problems that you had with your renovation.

Do you happen to know the bi fold door installation company who did the doors at your apartment? Perhaps you can talk to them direct and see what they can suggest to rectify the problem.

It's unfortunate that you have only discover this eye sore recently.

If I'm in your shoes, I'd insist that they rebuilt the door. I don't think it's all that difficult to replace the black tiles in that area. What's their excuse? :furious:

I wonder if it helps if you write to your contractor formally and give them a time line to rectify the problems.

Hi enz/kastleknonfusion.

The bifold door company can't do much, as the old frame would need to be removed. They only do installation, just like when people replace old toilet doors with bifold, they look for them. Perhaps they might help tear down the old frame, but like what sinner mentioned above, it will disturb the existing tiles. So it's more of a job of the contractor.

I did full renovation for whole house, it should be settled by the contractor. I will give them a call soon.

Edited by lawry

I've just contacted my ID on this issue.

(I was taking a while because I fly on and off often over the past few months, rarely at home for periods long enough to handle the issue.)

When I asked about the door frame, her answer was, "That is the usual way we do it for every house".

Add on "It's a metal door frame and it cannot be removed."

:bangwall:

Understood if I'm changing just the door, but I was renovating the entire house, removing an redundant door frame while full house renovation is ongoing is not an impossible issue. Why skip that?

Anyway, she's dropping by to take a look next week. Wish me luck. :)

She's like my only consolation out of the whole unpleasant renovation experience. At least I can still get her and she responses ..

While on the other hand, my mum's nagging, you already moved in, you want to go through the dusty hacking and renovating all over again??? 8|

Yeah, not a big deal cos she is not the person facing the hooks everyday!! 8|

yalor no big deal wat - tell her the same thing when she askes for the remaining payments.