Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yan

Dream House Vs. Pig Sty

Living room tile

IMGP0324.jpg

May i know where is your floor tile from? Yours look really white...I am trying hard to find a white homo tile which doesn't cost a bomb...appreciate your help! Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Oh.. Kitchen flooring can't be hacked? did your ID tell you why?

We won't have ceiling fan. But we would have some hanging lights/chandelier.. so.. ceiling too low is also a headache for us... :(

Ceiling fan has minimum height limit? by HDB?

We bought a resale unit which is of 2x3rooms type. We hacked off many of the walls and for the kitchen, we are actually using 3 quarters of the kitchen of the left unit and 1 quarter of the kitchen of the right unit. There is an overhead near the hobs and below that area, there's something which HDB officer had highlight NOT to hack off. Something to do with the similar overhead beam for the unit below ours.

080622reno_plan.jpg

So sian.

We bought a resale unit which is of 2x3rooms type. We hacked off many of the walls and for the kitchen, we are actually using 3 quarters of the kitchen of the left unit and 1 quarter of the kitchen of the right unit. There is an overhead near the hobs and below that area, there's something which HDB officer had highlight NOT to hack off. Something to do with the similar overhead beam for the unit below ours.

080622reno_plan.jpg

So sian.

Is your consider jumbo ? how much did you pay ? which area?

What is the height of your ceiling?

Our original height is about 2.6m.. now flooring takes away 3 inches.. plus another 6 inches for false ceiling.. hmm.. think will be slightly less than 2.4m...

the ex owner got 3 inches of floor plus 12 inches of false ceiling.. dun know how he passed HDB inspection... :dunno:

080622reno_plan.jpg

So sian.

hmm.. I can understand that the overhead cannot be hacked off.. but the flooring also got affected? even if hack off the flooring also won't affect the overhead beam downstairs bah.. unless u hack off something like 5 inches.. 10 inches.. no designer will do that bah...

Living room tile

IMGP0324.jpg

May i know where is your floor tile from? Yours look really white...I am trying hard to find a white homo tile which doesn't cost a bomb...appreciate your help! Thanks!

My floor tile is from Hafary tile shop at Balestier.. 2nd floor.. it is 800x800.. $4 per sqf..

It actually has some pattern on it but think now cannot really see without polishing it.. :P If u r interested I can find the model No. and PM u.. :)

hmm.. I can understand that the overhead cannot be hacked off.. but the flooring also got affected? even if hack off the flooring also won't affect the overhead beam downstairs bah.. unless u hack off something like 5 inches.. 10 inches.. no designer will do that bah...

Surprised us too. :jawdrop:

Here's 2 pixs of the hacking works done to our place.

080612%20-%200600%20kitchen.jpg

[Click here for bigger pix]

080612%20-%200577%20kitchen.jpg

[Click here for bigger pix]

The workers hacked until they got to the original flooring for other areas of the apartment but when they got the kitchen dividing wall, they were careful not to disturb that beam on the floor.

Odd, isn't it? :unsure: We didn't know until a day before the wall hacking exercise. :(

Edited by kastlekonfusion

can really see where exactly is the location of protruding beam

but aren't there any way of hiding it under carpentry instead of raising the entire kitchen floor? :dunno:

Edited by applefreak

Is your consider jumbo ? how much did you pay ? which area?

Apologies. Feel that it's kind of off topic to use yan's blog to answer your question. Perhaps you can click here to read the replies that I had posted on the blog about the flat and the price. :)

can really see where exactly is the location of protruding beam

but aren't there any way of hiding it under carpentry instead of raising the entire kitchen floor? :dunno:

If we raise just that corner of the kitchen flooring, then it's rather awkward to stand there to cook. We try to minimize any step so to make the apartment wheelchair friendly. :) Intend to stay there till we kick the bucket lah, so better take into consideration such things.

yeah.. it really pains me too to hack off the granite.. but.. comparing to turn on all the living room's light at 12 noon, I would rather hack it away.. no kidding.. 12 noon with light off in the living room.. i hv trouble walking around.. :bangwall: why din the ex owner chose another color for the granite~~~~ :bangwall:

$3088 including reinstalling the bracket.. we think it is expensive too.. Gain city quoted us for 2750 for the exact same model with bracket.. but we choose this contractor because he is the ID's contractor. Supposely easier to "work with to accormodate our design".. another thing is, his workmanship will be included in the 5-year's warranty of our reno.. anything goes wrong I can just pick up a phone to call my ID.. i just tell myself that i am paying 300+ extra for the additional 4 year warranty loh...

Feel your pain but looks like it needs to be one to brighten and liven up the place. Looks a big flat.

My floor tile is from Hafary tile shop at Balestier.. 2nd floor.. it is 800x800.. $4 per sqf..

It actually has some pattern on it but think now cannot really see without polishing it.. :P If u r interested I can find the model No. and PM u.. :)

that'll be great! Thanks!! I wanted a plain tile initially but seems that tiles with some lines on it will be whiter...guess i am leaning towards the this kinda tile now..shall look forward to your PM then!

If we raise just that corner of the kitchen flooring, then it's rather awkward to stand there to cook. We try to minimize any step so to make the apartment wheelchair friendly. :) Intend to stay there till we kick the bucket lah, so better take into consideration such things.

hehehe still can't figure out where exactly is that

thought it was directly under the stove or something :unsure:

Long time hvn't updated the blog.... was really really busy... and.. the reno also not progress much lah...

There was nothing being done for the reno last week till now.. :(:furious:

Here are some photos of the reno some time back..

Common toilet door connecting the service balcony has been sealed up

IMGP0339.jpg

Kitchen

IMGP0340.jpg

Afternoon sun come in.. at about 4-5pm

IMGP0364.jpg

IMGP0365.jpg

Full height window.. window grill has been sealed up with the floor tiles.. but.. I tot we need to remove the window grill and repaint it then install it back??

IMGP0395.jpg

A big big gap between the room and the passageway. The ID put a stainless steel line on the floor.. but it doesn't seem to help to cover the gap. ID said since we need to revanish the parquet, by then the gap will be covered up. Dun know true or not... :dunno:

IMGP0398.jpg

Hi Yan,

We have been looking high and low for bamboo pole holders like the one in your pix.

IMGP0339.jpg

Any idea where to get these white powder coated bamboo pole holders?

Btw, our painter did the grills and gates without dismantling them. You've got some nice floor tiles there. :) I suppose your painter would have to take extra precaution and use more masking tapes to ensure that there are no accidental spots on the floor and the surrounding area.

:) KK

Hi Yan,

We have been looking high and low for bamboo pole holders like the one in your pix.

Any idea where to get these white powder coated bamboo pole holders?

Btw, our painter did the grills and gates without dismantling them. You've got some nice floor tiles there. :) I suppose your painter would have to take extra precaution and use more masking tapes to ensure that there are no accidental spots on the floor and the surrounding area.

:) KK

hmm.. that holder was done by the ex owner.. I also dun know where to get it leh.. but we are planning to remove it and install those pull up pull down kind.. :P

Thanks for the reminder for the floor tile protection.. i must remind my ID about that.. ;p