Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I think the bottom line is.. go with your gut feel and your own level of acceptance. If you cannot accept that ID's working style (in ALL sense, not just how he designs your place but also collection of payment, level of comfort with him) to even begin with, then.. that ID's not for you. Simple as that.

There's no point questioning why his collection in 50-50.. why he needs the money etc etc. I mean, even if he justifies it himself, it may still be unreasonable to you at the end of the day.. . If you are not comfortable with it, and after talking to Dave about it and both parties are unable to come to an acceptable conclusion, then I think another ID would be a better choice.

Btw, I think Dave's also the boss. So when one pays Intradesign, it's sort of like paying him too isn't it? Hmm...

Fully agree! :good:

His working style and the outcome are stated clearly in the pages of conversation here. And all these good comments are not created overnight...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Zhiz

Actually i don't have to explain to you why. Anyway, it is just happened that my friend wanted to renovate her place and ask about my ID 's reputation that i refer her renotalk (to read for herself). And she told me about the payment incident.

Never take any pictures during my time, but if you want to visit my place, PM me.

Any pics to share? You register an account just to post good comments? SOrry a lot of phantom members nowadays so if there are pics, there is more authenticity about the comments. Thanks for sharing in advance

Edited by zhiz

I was a customer of Intradesign too and Dave was my ID. He has renovated my place 4 years ago and honestly speaking both my hubby and myself are still very happy with their workmanship and also their before / after sales service.

I would say he is a very efficient and "know what he is doing" kind of person. My whole renovation experience was a hassle free one. Even after so many years, he still help us to do some minor touch up here and there when we called him for advice.

When we 1st approached him for quotation, we already knew about his payment terms that is 50% during orientation and 50% upon confirmation of carpentry.

When we 1st searching for an ID, we consider few things: whether both parties able to communicate, do we feel comfortable with him or her, whether can he or she delivers the things we want, lastly of course reputation and after sales service.

We are glad that he meets our expectation. This is just my personal experience and thought that i should share. Nothing personal.

I think the bottom line is.. go with your gut feel and your own level of acceptance. If you cannot accept that ID's working style (in ALL sense, not just how he designs your place but also collection of payment, level of comfort with him) to even begin with, then.. that ID's not for you. Simple as that.

There's no point questioning why his collection in 50-50.. why he needs the money etc etc. I mean, even if he justifies it himself, it may still be unreasonable to you at the end of the day.. . If you are not comfortable with it, and after talking to Dave about it and both parties are unable to come to an acceptable conclusion, then I think another ID would be a better choice.

Btw, I think Dave's also the boss. So when one pays Intradesign, it's sort of like paying him too isn't it? Hmm...

Ya... I will not engage a reno firm that request 50 50 or in full amount.... this is protecting him and not us... to me, if he can do a good job, I have no reason to hold back the payment... why do I need to pay in full and then worry if he can deliver... if he can't, then start to worry what to do as already paid in full....

What is the rationale behind Dave's personal preference of 50-50? Seriously I can't find a solid reason to justify why it must be a 50-50. Progressive payment is still a safer bet. I thought we are paying Intradesign and not to Dave?

They are drawing pay/commission from Intradesign? Why is different staffs got different policy and standard?

Look at LS/Jason cases.

End of the day, there will still be people falling into this trap one lah.

I'm shortlisting intradesign as one of my ID to visit as well but if Dave has such policy, I'm sure to siam meeting him cause I know such policy is unacceptable for me.

Edited by Dr.Anarchy

my initial budget was $40k, but the final quotation was exceeded by another 16k. But I'm very confident that every penny spent would be worth it once my place is done. :)

your quote is very similiar to mine. :D as my unit requires an extensive overhaul, i know its not gonna be cheap. i've seen my younger bro's unit nicely done up by Dave, and that is enuff for me to decide on my choice. payment wise, i'm sure as **** that i wun be paying 1 lump sum. :D lets see hw it turns out on sat. i can hardly wait. :thumbs up:

Preddy im not trying to scare you. Always remember this. Even the most established companies can cock up. The financial crisis has taught me many things

At the end of the day, its all about risks and returns. Cheers

Hi all,

Dave was my ID for our new place just a few months ago. Experience has been positive and even till today he responses really quickly to touch ups and requests. :) he also never fails to update on Reno progress and keeps us assured.

His payment scheme is 50-50 and it's his practice of doing things. I think if one is not comfortable with that, you should just talk to him and see what he can do about it. His first 50% is during orientation and then the last 50% before carpentry goes up. To be honest, my Hubby and I trust him enough to pass him our cheque without asking for receipts. Yes of cos we have heard horror stories about even the most reputable IDs or contractors 'running' off after that or has change in attitude after collecting full payment but I guess it's quite obvious with Dave's past records in this thread that he has been a responsible and prompt ID.

Ultimately I think it all boils down to having good and clear communication with the ID and of course being comfortable with his working style. So in dave's case, his is such that his payment collection method is 50-50. If you are really keen on engaging Dave, it's good to discuss with him further. He's an easy person to talk to.. Though he can be loud. Hee..

He's a very open and straightforward person so u can just tell him honestly how u feel. Sounds like I'm 'promoting' our ID but just giving my two-cents worth on his working style and practice. If he's irresponsible or even untrustworthy, I wouldn't even want to waste my breath here.

will be meeeting Dave this weekend to discuss on what he designed for my unit. prelimary quote kinda high, hoping that it can be adjusted.... :deal:

my initial budget was $40k, but the final quotation was exceeded by another 16k. But I'm very confident that every penny spent would be worth it once my place is done. :)

just my 2 cents

nobody in the right is going to pay the full lump sum before the renovation starts. no matter how much you trust the company. just see what happened to the beauty salon incidents

my 2 cents as well. You aren't comparing apple to apple. How long has that beauty salon been in the business and how much good reviews were lavished on them? The people who got duped by that beauty salon probably did not check up on the salon before committing to its packages.

However, we are talking about a well-established Design/Reno Firm in Intradesign which has been in the business for 10 over years and their works would surely justify some of their business propositions of either asking for 1 lump sum payment or 50%-50% payment arrangements.

Please do not mistake me for working for IntraDesign, i'm merely but a customer of IntraDesign and Dave is my ID and i've seen his works with my eyes as he did my brother's place. I was very impressed with the workmanship and did not even bother to go shop for other IDs. No doubt their quotations are slightly more expensive, but i'd rather pay a premium to have a peace of mind, like what many of their customers would have agreed with me than to pay just a little bit lesser and face the possible prospect of having cock-ups or poor workmanship etc.

I'm very sure if one is uncomfortable with the 1-lump sum arrangement, he can always negotiate with IntraDesign and come up with a compromise.

I hope I do not antagonize anyone in this forum as it wasn't my intention to do so in the 1st place, if anyone felt offended, i hereby offer my apologies.

Edited by Preddy

just my 2 cents

nobody in the right is going to pay the full lump sum before the renovation starts. no matter how much you trust the company. just see what happened to the beauty salon incidents

Hi Goatsun,

Just for your reference...

Dave must have his way of doing things being in this line for so donkey years. I guess it's a matter of trust and judgement. Of course, you will not choose an ID based on our comments. Ultimately, it is still your say. Some ID may let you have your ways of payment, they dun care so long they are paid eventually. Most impt is the final outcome, the quality + workmanship and the chemistry btw u and ur ID.

Thanks again. will keep u all posted.