Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oogachaga

Impress21 Design And Build - My Home Makeover

DAY 9 cont

Another problem encoutered with the common toilet WC installation, the supplier sent an 8 inch one with a 2 inch offset pan collar...turned out that the hole is 11 inch , and the master toilet is 12 inches! Which means that if installed, the WCs would not be against the wall.... :bangwall:

So had to called up the supplier, to replace the WCs... at no extra charge :)

In any case, the electricians and the plumbers need to return to complete their work after the kitchen cabinet is installed.

Next, the discussion with chief carpenter, Tek, who had done his measurements of the bare kitchen.

At this point, one must already know what you want for your kitchen ....

Having gone through a lot of planning, the original U shaped design is still the best option without incurring unnecessary costs. So armed with my edited 3D drawing, I went through my requirements of my new kitchen with dimensions given:

1. Dishwasher cavity 852mm ht by 605mm width

------this is future planning as I can replace with a freestanding dishwasher, std dimension is 850mm by 600mm, in case of replacement

2. Height of lower cabinet including counter top to be 90cm...but carpenter says may have to be 91 cm due to dishwasher cavity....ok, but can try try to be 90cm hor

------Searched on the internet : optimal height has been recommended to be at 36 inch or about 91cm by non asian standards; locally, it ranges from 85cm to 90cm( eg IKEA ). But it all up to user...test it out at IKEA kitchen. I found 90cm to be ideal for me.

3. Top cabinets to go all the way up to false ceiling

4. Gaps between doors to be as small as allowable

5. Height between countertop and hood to be 65 cm

-----Again searched the internet, and found: "in terms of height cooker hoods are usually installed at a minimum height of 650 mm above the hob or stove. A further 100 mm should be added for installations over gas burning hobs." Again, subject to user's preference and manufacturer's recommendation

6. Hood installation to flush with the top cabinet base, and under lighting considerations..changed my mind and decided to do LED lighting

7. Adjustable shelvings for top cabinets...2 per compartment equal to 3 shelves.

8. Blum system installation...recommended by carpenter over the Hettich system which I was considering, so had to listen to the expert mah...

9. Drawers....1 for cutlery and 2 deep for crockeries. As I was unsure how much depth I could get, the carpenter suggested small, medium and large...er, OK.

10. Clean lines and modern look

11. Choice of handles...the handles that I want requires a top up of $150 due to higher costs and labour, according to Tek. The designer handles provided in my quotation are those that are screwed on to the door ie 2 holes 8| ...Ok lor,

Here are the other 2 handle design I was contemplating...

Tried out at a friend's place...require a bit of strength to pull esp if anti slam runners are installed in the drawers, more difficult with wet fingers because of the bevel; but OK for hinged doors

Handle1.jpg

This one...too plain, as I am doing an all white kitchen, needed some accents

handle2.jpg

hence, chose this one, understated and sleek design, and better grip and easier to pull out drawers

P1020609.jpg

13. Choice of laminates...chose an all white glossy laminate, no waviness hor ( it seems many carpenters will tell you glossy laminates will not render a smooth flat finish, but a wavy one)

OK, TAK or EDL? Hmmm...many forumers here used Lamitak. So I had to visit both at Sungei Kadut, to collect samples and heres what I found out from their rep:

a. TAK: "made in India...yellowing - not sure"

A wide variety, can view the bigger pieces of laminates all displayed nicely at the back of warehouse. Also have 1mm thick laminates with matching 1mm ABS trimming.

b. EDL: "A better product than our competitor who uses urea compounds in their manufacture...unlike ours -made in Korea, better quality with premium gloss finish, and materials and also uses phenolic resins whichwill not yellow", " waviness is dependent on workmanship"

1 mm thick available as well, and 1 mm thick matching ABS trimming which also "will not yellow"

Ok...sold on EDL.

14. Position of oven and hobs....will determine where your gas pipe ends. Mine require to be cut shorter and raise higher.

15. 2 "magic corners" L and R....pie cut racks not space efficient, I feel...and others

(ok...am I meticulous or what? :) Better to tell them what you want than to leave it to them to decide for you....you might end up with a cabinet you dont like )

My kitchen appliances: Bosch HBN331EJ @$640, Cuizino single domino gas hob @$200, EFCH 9401 telescopic hood @ $195, Teka 2rings induction hob @ $1013

Kitchenappliances-CuizinoboschTekaE.jpg

Bought from Paisilk except Teka ( had sale at TEKA )..offered the lowest price of all.

Heres my top 3 contenders:

a. Parisilk..lowest price and can match, COD, no GST

b. Goh Ah Bee...low price but unwilling to lower to match, COD,

c. Mustaffa...price even more competitive than Mega and other big dept stores, can use their prices as benchmarks, delivery charge applies, wont reveal prices over phone

Now will wait for the fabrication of the kitchen cabinets takes about 2 weeks......

we have the same basins and toliet bowl! :yamseng: from elbano?

by the way, what is a spirit leveller ar?

thks!!

Hi, bought from Eestilo..during their sale. One costs $299 with the bigger basin, the other $285 with smaller basin..No GST

Sorry.. its a spirit level...an instrument to check whether a surface is level, available for a few dollars, looks something like this

Spiritlevel.jpg

Edited by oogachaga

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

DAY 12

Works:

--Plastering kitchen

Kitchen entrance

Kitchenentrance.jpg

Top of doorway - can see the metal beading underneath, which will be painted over

Kitchenentrancetop.jpg

Kitchen- fridge area

Kitchenwall.jpg

Kitchen - sink area

Kitchenentrance4.jpg

Kitchen - future sliding glass door area

Kitchenentrancewall.jpg

DAY 16

Works:

-- Citygas appointment

The carpenter has previously marked out where the gas pipe should be...so the pipe needed to be cut and move higher to prevent obstruction

Pipe cut and extended upwards

P1020405.jpg

Drilling in the support for connecting the gas tubing

P1020406.jpg

Testing for leaks

P1020409.jpg

Gas piping done

P1020410.jpg

Will need to make another appointment for them to connect the gas hob ---total cost $100, billed to your SP account

Sorry.. its a spirit level...an instrument to check whether a surface is level, available for a few dollars, looks something like this

Spiritlevel.jpg

Hi, can tell me where you bought the spirit level from? Thanks

Hi mmycheng,

You can buy at most hardware shop....they come in many sizes, shapes and materials. I bought the plastic version at $2.80 :)

Looking forward to see ur done up place as my place's also recently done up by Henry :)

Hi sporty,

Btw, any photos to share? :yamseng:

Stay tuned for the big reveal soon :)

DAY 21 Kitchen Cabinets Ready

Works:

--- Installation of Kitchen Cabinets

Finally, after almost 2 weeks, the kitchen cabinets are ready :) Couldnt wait for the painter, and had to diy and spray painted the green window frame white first

The carpenter, Ah Bee, has been assigned to do my cabinets.

Looks good and nice fit..notice the white frame

P1020431.jpg

Drawer cabinets

P1020432.jpg

Cabinet doors all wrapped up

P1020434.jpg

The wood used

P1020430.jpg

Blum runners installed

P1020435.jpg

Hi mmycheng,

You can buy at most hardware shop....they come in many sizes, shapes and materials. I bought the plastic version at $2.80 :)

Hi sporty,

Btw, any photos to share? :yamseng:

Stay tuned for the big reveal soon :)

you can visit my reno T blog for the pics :)

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...=16708&st=0

Edited by sporty

DAY 22

Works:

-- Installing the lower kitchen cabinets

Ah Bee finished installation of the lower cabinets including the sink area, but not the doors yet.

Next, I had to check the dishwasher cavity .... took out my measuring tape, ALAMAAK! Salah!!.... bigger by about 1 cm from my specifications :bangwall::bangwall: ,

then checked the height ...OMG...92.5cm! ( will be almost 94 cm when solid surface installed!) TOO HIGH!

Apparently Ah Bee went to add further allowance on top of my specs thinking its the dimension of the dishwasher ( usually they are given the dimensions of the appliances ).

Eventually Henry called to inform that the cabinets will need to be taken back to factory and redone :D

Ok, so got to wait for another few days.....

---to be cont---

OK, thanks :)

Now..to continue my "diary"....

Hi oogachaga,

May I know how much you pay for those "Blum" systems?

Thinking to getting the same systems for my future home wardrobes and cabinets...

and from where?

Thanks,

mjk

Hi oogachaga,

May I know how much you pay for those "Blum" systems?

Thinking to getting the same systems for my future home wardrobes and cabinets...

and from where?

Thanks,

mjk

Hi mjk,

I got my Blum from Shanghai Tong Lee...in fact, I got most of my other hardware there as well :) The service there is excellent, and Hoe who attended to me, has the patience and time to answer my many queries.

As for prices, I cannot remember off hand, will check and post it ihere in this blog later.

Its worth the money if you are looking for anti slam system...fyi, Blum gives lifetime warranty.

DAY 25

Works:

--Installation of cabinets

--Waterproofing and tiling the sink and dishwasher cabinet area

--Installation of sliding glass door

--LG solid surface measurement

--Stainless Steel backing measurement

The cabinets arrived late yesterday, and installation has already begun. The carpenters have managed to salvaged the cabinets by trimming down the height, and getting rid of that piece of laminated wood ribbing just above the dishwasher to achieve the desired height.

Correct height :thumbs up: about 88.7 cm

P1020459.jpg

Lower cabinets installed

P1020470.jpg

P1020471.jpg

P1020473.jpg

DAY 25 cont

Dishwasher cavity dimensions satisfactory..bigger by about 3mm form my specs, but its good enough :good:

The ribbing below is taken out from the dishwasher cavity

P1020470.jpg

Sink cabinet - initially wanted to build a base, but because I want the dishwasher cavity side walls straight to the floor, the carpenter suggested this, which will be siliconed and waterproofed before tiling. He assured me it will be waterproof and there wont be any water seepage into the base :good:

Closeup view of the base

P1020476.jpg

P1020477.jpg

Sink cut out requested to move as to the front as possible

P1020482.jpg

Hobs cut out- separated by 10cm space, and move to the front as possible

P1020489.jpg

DAY 25 cont

Tiling of the skirting around the dishwasher and sink cabinet - the cavity will be a rectangular box.

P1020499.jpg

Close up of skirting - Laminated wall flushed with skirting

P1020496.jpg

P1020498.jpg

The sliding glass door was installed yesterday...I decided to use a 12mm tempered glass instead of 10mm..feels sturdier as its quite a big piece of glass, needed to top up $120

Henry is way too efficient ;) ...I would have preferred it installed later to avoid any accidents

P1020486.jpg

P1020488.jpg

With the lower cabinet and cut outs prepared, Henry has made an appointment for the LG guy to come. We would have waited in vain had not the tiler, Ong, told us that LG guy had come, measured and left half an hour earlier. 8| We were punctual, LG was early for the appointment.

How strange...hmmm....does he know exactly what I want for my top? Or is it that they just do as they think fit..or perhaps clients just accept what they make with no specific requests?

Henry called the LG guy, conveyed my requirements to him - zero reveal for my sink, 1. 5 inch drop flat front, 2.5 inch backsplash with curvature 6mm. He agreed to come another day to take measurements and discuss with me, after hearing that they will have to redo if its not to my specs.

Stainless steel man came and made measurements.