Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
simlim

Conceal Of Electrical Wirings After Hack

Hi All,

Heard from a ID ( I will not say which company), that if I want to hack my walls and do a electrical wiring all over again, i am NOT allowed to conceal the wires... I have to live with the " Ugly pipes" that carries cables.. for power to my washin machine etc.

Is that TRUE?

Or a gimmick for us to do Overlay?

I am not sure!

I need some experts to verify... i feel that.. nowadays.. it's normal to conceal wirings yah?

BR,

Simlim.. ( distorted.. and upset...at the thought of it.. :()

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yes, it's true. Nanny HDB rule #183794920 says that u cannot do concealed wiring yourself. New flats does comes with conceal wiring, but if u wanna add, redo, shift or split etc etc, that portion still requires u to do exposed trunking.

Hi There,

Thanks!. looks like myself& beau will be disappointed due to Nanny HDB Rule# "watever"

Hai yoh! so dreaming of doing up the place with out truckings...trunkings just look spoiler to the walls...

:(

Any ideas to over come?

Yes, it's true. Nanny HDB rule #183794920 says that u cannot do concealed wiring yourself. New flats does comes with conceal wiring, but if u wanna add, redo, shift or split etc etc, that portion still requires u to do exposed trunking.

Hi There,

Thanks!. looks like myself& beau will be disappointed due to Nanny HDB Rule# "watever"

Hai yoh! so dreaming of doing up the place with out truckings...trunkings just look spoiler to the walls...

:(

Any ideas to over come?

Hi simlim,

We are also thinking of not concealing out electrical trunking or casing. Because the resale that we bought came with pretty cornices and the wire casing are hiding inside. Electricians that came over, told us that we cant do re-wiring of the flat, unless we break and take down everything. Same thing for my parents' place, they previously also conceal their wires casing inside the cornices and recently there is some problem with the singtel telephone line where they are unable to check the line condition due to it being conceal inside the cornices.

So i guess there is more pros than cons to not conceal the casing. Anyway, I thought the casing look ok if they are properly planned. However, I am not sure if doing up a false ceiling will also post a such problem anot.

Hi Lubbi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts..

I think we should be able to live with the trunking..otherwise we will opt for false ceiling or cornices.

Thanks for sharing...

when i get to the bridge ( the point where i have to decide) i think every thing willwork out fine.

Also another bizarre thought from my hubbytobe,he wants to WIRE somelan cables such that the rooms have LINE to internet.. rather than wireless..

Any one think this is a good idea?

:)

cheers

sim"lim"

Hi simlim,

We are also thinking of not concealing out electrical trunking or casing. Because the resale that we bought came with pretty cornices and the wire casing are hiding inside. Electricians that came over, told us that we cant do re-wiring of the flat, unless we break and take down everything. Same thing for my parents' place, they previously also conceal their wires casing inside the cornices and recently there is some problem with the singtel telephone line where they are unable to check the line condition due to it being conceal inside the cornices.

So i guess there is more pros than cons to not conceal the casing. Anyway, I thought the casing look ok if they are properly planned. However, I am not sure if doing up a false ceiling will also post a such problem anot.

We are also thinking of not concealing out electrical trunking or casing. Because the resale that we bought came with pretty cornices

doing cornie are pretty cheap, doing false ceiling is not. For electrical wire, it is more eye pleasing to hide everything inside cornie. Signal cable e.g tel wire, are not supposed to bunch together with electrical wire. Therefore what most pple do is cornie to hide electrical wiring, and tel wire runs above the skirting using ultra thin trunking. Some laminate skirting even have space inside for running tel wire, then it's totally hidden.

Also another bizarre thought from my hubbytobe,he wants to WIRE somelan cables such that the rooms have LINE to internet.. rather than wireless..

Any one think this is a good idea?

wired internet is always faster than wireless internet.

U can actually drill holes through the walls the pass wires through. but all these u will need to plan before hand.

Requires careful planning.

The previous owner of my unit put phone points in all the rooms, living area & kitchen, and cable points in 2 bedrooms, living and dining. So we are v well wired for broadband and cable TV. But suay, he didn't put cable point in study, and my broadband subscription is w Starhub. So cannot access cable broadband in the study, so ironic.

U can actually drill holes through the walls the pass wires through. but all these u will need to plan before hand.

Haha, that's what my dad did, drill holes everywhere....

My ID told me for old resale flat the NEW HDB ruling is that we are allowed to conceal the electrical

wiring. However the main problem is that if the wiring is conceal, HDB will not test or certified the wiring

and so we will not buy fire insurance for the house due to wiring.

In summary, the HDB allows us to conceal the wiring, however as we are not able to buy fire insurance

for the place for cause of fire due to electrical wiring issue.

So if there is any fire due to wiring short circuit, the insurance company will not pay for the damage.

Is the above correct ?

Thks in advance.h

i am also intending to wire up my place for whole house LAN. more stability in the long run as wireless internet tend to have blind spots. of course, you can always get a wireless router to supplement in case u have laptops that needs to be moved around

I also hack the wall to conceal the electrical wirings on almost 80% of my power socket / swtiches point. No ugly casing hanging from false ceiling down to a surface mount plastic box!

Another way is to run the casing from the floor skirting, it will not look too noticeable.

Haha, that's what my dad did, drill holes everywhere....

Hi Render,

I saw your a lots of type of door in your blog...what is the price range for nyatoh solid door ? thx

I just bought a unit which is 20 yo and was surprised that the previous owner did concealed wiring. But this is giving me big headache as some of swithces are not working and this means that I have to hack some of the walls to troubleshoot to find the wiring and replace the plaster subsequently. :o

I personally prefer to run trunking along the skirting as it is easy to identify the final circuit as well as to trouble shoot the LAN points if internet does not work. Besides, it is much easier to add/delete power points or ethernet port using exposed trunking method as and when u like.

So it is aesthetics versus ease of maintenance of repair/replacement, the choice is all yours! ;)

Cheers

Wd88

My contractor told me that my concealed wiring is covered by a trunking pipe inside the wall. This means that if the powerpoint fails, all I have to do is to pull out the wires from the false ceiling and then push in new wire. If this is true, then there is no need to worry about "ugly trunking" which I personally feel is okay.

hmmmm... HDB rules stated very clearly that concealed wiring is not allowed:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/...al?OpenDocument

Embedding of wiring (house in metal/high impact PVC conduit) in RC slab, beam, column, wall and in wall plaster or other finishes is not allowed.

Only HDB can do for new flat, home owner cannot do by themselves...