Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Misc100

What Can You Do If Your House Has Got Afternoon Sun?

my house does, i put blinds yet it's still hot. just bear with it lor.

My parents' unit got afternoon sun, I understand the "effects". Bite one, I never buy an unit subject to afternoon sun.

- The brick wall is so hot, take few hours to cool down, even at mid-night, the wall still hot. Hall & room kena the sunlight radiation.

- Only solution is to "isolate" the suhlight from reaching the brick wall (clading or wall-plant to cover the whole wall) HDB is studying this.

- Another "compromised" to have "isolation layer" in between the outside & inside wall, but ... reduced strength.

- Reduced "brick wall" as much as possible, replaced with glass, especially those "sound-proof" glass.

- btw, after talking so much, the most practical way is to put curtain & adapt to the heat.....

Edited by bepgof

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Switch on air conditioner and use the fan. This would cool the house substantially. In addition, you might want to use double glazed window and SKK paint to reduce and reflect the heat. If yours is a landed house, you can install sun shade and problem would be mostly solved.

I think what is more important is to buy a house you like and within your budget. The rest of the issues like sun heat can be mitigated to some extend. Cheers!

perhap can install the solar film in the window to block the sun. meanwhile sun light useful for drying clothes faster. Sometime it better to have more light then no light. I saw some hse that is so dark and it make the whole hse gloomy and depress.

solution is to move out.

Window u can apply super-reflective solar film, but it's the brick wall that is tricky. It absorbs the heat and at night radiate out... can die.

i will avoid at all costs the following :

1) afternoon sun

2) top floor ( besides sun, u get plenty of modern dinosaurs : lizards) water off the tap is forever hot.

3) unit with small openings ( small windows : poor ventilation )

this will affect health : mind and body. u wil get frustrated easily. u perspire after showering..

currently, i am temporary staying at my in-laws house, while my own is renovating.

the unit is horrible, it has all the prerequisistes listed above...worst still my wife is afraid of lizards and thus windows are usually shut! the air-con should be thrown away 5 yrs ago type, thus not cold...

i am almost living in ****..

it is affecting my mind and body...i cannot function optimally...

hope my reno gets done soon....

my new place is so much cooler compare to this...

positive note: after suffering for almost 2 months here....i think i will use less air-con in new place, cos i will feel that its cooler no matter what!

never buy a unit with the above points...

where never buy a west sun? how to check north east south west? compass point toward where?

view the house twice in morning and second time in the afternoon. u should be able to observe that...

take time to feel the environment, see whether it is well ventilated...

if it feels stuffy, forget about the house.. look for another one...

once u committed, u cant get rid of it easily..becos it is a big investment.

Ah.. my new house got morning and afternoon sun! :D

But nevermind cos I like it that way. Why?

1. I find the house a bit dark. So sunlight is gd.

2. Morning sun **** room, study room and my children's room. Good for them. Cannot sleep late. :P

3. Afternoon sun at kitchen. Also gd cos can dry clothes.

i will avoid at all costs the following :

1) afternoon sun

2) top floor ( besides sun, u get plenty of modern dinosaurs : lizards) water off the tap is forever hot.

3) unit with small openings ( small windows : poor ventilation )

this will affect health : mind and body. u wil get frustrated easily. u perspire after showering..

never buy a unit with the above points...

Great men think alike! I also kena "bite" before !

- Must know Singapore's climate, 1 deg N latitude - wind flow at different seasons:

-Sept-Dec -N wind, slowly change to N-E till Feb

- In Dec, earth the most nearest to Sun, cos Earth tilts at 23.5 deg, Southern Semisphere the "most" hot. South pole 24hr "day".

-In March~Apr, Equator has "balanced" length of "day" & "night" - Some NE winds, and "E" wind. Equator the "most" hotest in a year.

-May -Jul, earth the most further away from sun, cos the 23.5 deg tilt, northpole 24hr "day", Singapore has longer "day", shorter "night". S wind starts.

- Aug-Oct, balanced length of "day" & "night". S wind, started to change NW winds.

In view of the above characteristics of the earth & sun relationship. Wise choices of the openings(doors & windors): N-S openings(as big as possible), W-E openings (Can be doors vs windows).

- Avoid walls facing direct W with sunlight, esp those 2-6pm sunlight. External wall absorbes heat from sunlight & "release" heat into room/hall/kitchen when ambience cool down.

- Morning sunlight to wall is acceptable, 8-11am not that "hot", will also bring "brightness" to home. Wise choice of home to have morning sunlight.

- No blockage at surrounding, meaning, house as high as possible (but not the top), wind flows naturally.

- View is another issue, to each his own.

Hope above explanation give u some "light" as to how to choose yr dream home.

Edited by bepgof

Build a wardrobe on those walls. Your clothes will be forever kept dry. And also, less heat is transmitted into the house.

This is one great idea! When buying flats, view the outside not only the inside. Windows with overhang are WEST facing.

When viewing flats, bring compass. No compass? an iPhone will be very useful. Observe surroundings too as you wont be confined in your flat all the time.

One way to treat walls are to put drywalls with insulation over the existing blockwall. It may be a costly (but not a bomb!) :good:

West facing units are not domed though treatment can be pricey. In every problem there is a solution. :D

One cannot have all the tick-boxes TICKED when buying house... (complain......)

My elder son's room is whacked by afternoon sun (not direct, but at an angle)... solution... thick curtain.... and leave the door open so the warm air can escape the room. This will reduce the radiation heat from the walls and by the time of his sleep time @ 9am... it's back to normal.

I also solar filmed my entire house... using the highest % solar reflection (not cheap) but clear (as I want the light to come into the house - but not the heat radiation)

The kitchen is also affected my evening sun... all the way to sunset. When you cook, the heat and glare is terrible. I installed blinds along the wash area to block off the heat/ray.

It is so easy to say... not to buy house facing a certain direction.... don't want this don't want that.... but try to understand, there's always solution to every problem.

One cannot have all the tick-boxes TICKED when buying house... (complain......)

My elder son's room is whacked by afternoon sun (not direct, but at an angle)... solution... thick curtain.... and leave the door open so the warm air can escape the room. This will reduce the radiation heat from the walls and by the time of his sleep time @ 9am... it's back to normal.

I also solar filmed my entire house... using the highest % solar reflection (not cheap) but clear (as I want the light to come into the house - but not the heat radiation)

The kitchen is also affected my evening sun... all the way to sunset. When you cook, the heat and glare is terrible. I installed blinds along the wash area to block off the heat/ray.

It is so easy to say... not to buy house facing a certain direction.... don't want this don't want that.... but try to understand, there's always solution to every problem.

I like yr attitudes/mentality, will find life more enjoyable.

Edited by bepgof

I rejected many (very good) flats before I settled on a north-south aligned one because of the blasted sun in my old flat that used to roast the living and dining rooms after lunch time.This is one great idea! When buying flats, view the outside not only the inside. Windows with overhang are WEST facing.

When viewing flats.