Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

Hi found this while reading up old threads. thought of bumping it up for "newbies" like myself who are on first reno journey! And for anyone with more to add to the list ..

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

oh dear, we were thinking of getting the following from ikea...

Trones Shoe rack

Besta TV Console

Lamp

Small plastic table & chairs

Plastic Cutlery

Dustbin

Hanger/Pegs

Swivel chairs

any feedback on the Besta TV console?? worried after reading fair bit of negative feedback here :(

But it didn't stop the guy at the returns counter from bitching and insulting before taking it back. I was almost tempted to launch "www.ikea-refunds.com". It will contain a full list of substandard items which should never have been sold. I will accept international submissions and complaints from all over the world. That guy at the returns counter should check my site often before he passes unnecessary remarks like, "This is the first complain." Unless it's his first day at work, else it shan't be any other excuse. 8|

How on earth could those rusty stainless steel items be an isolated issue? More likely people are wasting their money at ikea in exchange for low grade junk down their rubbish bin not knowing their return options. If not, it's not worth their while to drive all the way down to return a $15 item either. :bangwall:

I suppose this happens to Singapore IKEA only.... as Singaporeans love to complain and *****. I have been to IKEA all over the world and they are true to their no questions asked return policy. Maybe you are unlucky

this is a good read ..

i suppose i should avoid sink with a dustbin compartment !

For the kitchen, let the user, ie whoever uses the kitchen most (probably the lady of the house) decide what to have here, or there.. .etc.

They are the ones who will be doing the cooking, etc... so , they should go thru a motion study of the whole place... what should be on the left, on the right... where should be sink me... free area on the left or right... single/double bowl, etc.... it depends on personal preference.

One good reference is IKEA's kitchen layout guide (or many on the internet).... BLUM is another source. You cannot run away from the sequence... take things from the fridege, put on table, chop/etc... wash... cook.... All this depends on the layout of your kitchen... straight, U-shaped, L-shared, island.

I have seen so many Singaporean design their kitchen for SHOW ONLY.... branded... for show off and can only cook maggi mee. One must be realistic... reference to those nice magazines is good, but most of the time, not suitable for pigeon holes. I have a friend who is proud of his SGD1,500 tap in his kitchen but rarely use it..... got to clean like ****.... so far ok for them as no kids yet (probably no intention to have - spoil their lifestyle).... always eat out. Everything in their nest has a brand and designer story to tell....

I bought a few ikea billy bookcases in 1999, it was still ok in 2008 and i was still able to sell them off for $20 each! Think it's the luck of the draw or maybe the materials 11 years ago were much better than what they are using now...

This thread is very useful.

Looks like WMF pots & pans are good. Will avoid ikea cooking utensils.

But we are considering their plates & bowls. Can't go wrong, rite?

Why do you need to avoid IKEA utensils? It is not the material.... it's HOW you use them.

Some overheat them..... of course they will turn colour... even those super ex ones will turn colour too if you use them in the wrong manner.

WMF good? I have a 9-piece set of WMF... same... will turn yellow.... but a good wash with the RIGHT detergent will rid them.

I am not a spokesperson for IKEA but... I have been using their products since they were in the market.... no issue

Nobody mention bathtub yet? I seriously considered it but was advised against it cos it's supposedly one of those "nice in concept, not nice in usage" things.

Nobody mention bathtub yet? I seriously considered it but was advised against it cos it's supposedly one of those "nice in concept, not nice in usage" things.

You got that right super.... ditch the bathtub!

i'm ditching the bath tub too. just too much trouble maintaining a tub when most of the time we bathe standing in the tub. furthermore, must be very careful when getting in and out of the tub.

we are using WMF pots.. and also ikea plates/bowls/mugs/glasses/bins/baskets/stools.. i guess for small items, ikea is good.. never have any problem :)

i'm a fan of ikea, though not all their items la. Been using their utensils for 8 years, no rust at all, still in great condition!.. Billy bookcase CMI.. some of the wardrobes also CMI la, frying pan also not good.. but the shelvings very lasting.. mattress quite comfy also... i would say 80% of what i bought in ikea can last me for years.

and for my old place, the following are the things that I really regret doing:

1) bird nest chandelier.. it was way too bright! and so difficult to clean...

2) night curtains for my hall, cos for 8 years, i probably use it only 4 times... i go for practical rather than asthetics... don't like to keep things i don't need.

3) design of the carpentery for my dining area.. colour don't match. design ugly.

4) using another room to create WIW. nice to have, but don't have also nvm... rather keep the room for other uses.

Open concept walk in wardrobe, this can be a nightmare for maintenance. I didn't do this, but some of my friends did, it was right outside their toilet, moisture attack, dust attack. I had my close door walk in wardrobe outside my toilet also. Some of my things turn mouldy. One tub of hungry hippo once a week is not economical.