Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

Yup I agree with u of not having it for fridge and washer.

But I'm also m thinking of not having it for cabinets too to standardize for all. Cos' no need to really hard-wash the floor like u mentioned and just do many times of mopping.

Good idea or a bad one?

i also dun have fridge base, but i feel it's good to have cabinet base... feels more "sturdy"... :P

besides, the cabinet base is slightly smaller than the cabinet by ~ 1-inch, it's more comfortable when you work at the kitchen - if you dun have the base, your feet will keep kicking at the bottom part of the cabinet... hope you get what i mean.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
i also dun have fridge base, but i feel it's good to have cabinet base... feels more "sturdy"... :P

besides, the cabinet base is slightly smaller than the cabinet by ~ 1-inch, it's more comfortable when you work at the kitchen - if you dun have the base, your feet will keep kicking at the bottom part of the cabinet... hope you get what i mean.

Thanks marshmallow for ur inputs.

And yes, I get what u mean hehee. Ok, then I will need to consider real hard, hmp!

My sis's kitchen has no cabinet base. And her cabinets are suspended. Good for cleaning and no kicking of your toes.

But she also doens't know how her contractor did it.

Bad thing is that no guarantee if you put heavy items like pots and pans.

I chose not to have base for fridge and washing machine after being brainwashed by my mum. She says I'll have more options in the future if the fridge or washing machine needs to be replaced (touchwood).

floating design is nice, provides a great nest for cobwebs, lizards and roaches... but it is really a storage for air...

Edited by neubie

boxer: ur mom has a v valid point - when upgrade to a bigger fridge and washer in future. I fancy the modern look of suspended cabinets (esp those in wet areas like bathroom). Too bad cannot have that, no govt gas pipe and still need an extra storage for LPG cylinder :bangwall: which equates to one lesser storage.

neubie: oh yea, didnt thought of that.. But nice design factor.. pros and cons. maybe if the gap bewtn floor and cabinet is 1feet apart.

I only allowed my TV console to be 'floating' so that there's less dirt collected under the narrow seam btw console & floor.

It's easier to vacuum/mop the floor too.

My kitchen & toilet floor tiles are dark-coloured. So easy to maintain, no obvious footprints or food stains that'll cause eye sore or panic attack for me to start mopping the floor again!

Chose shower curtain over shower screen/glass cos 1 lesser item to clean.

No suspended kitchen cabinets cos it's not practical for me - lesser storage, nest for pests, inconvenient to retrieve food items (e.g., onion, garlic) if they roll under the cabinets.

No suspended kitchen cabinets cos it's not practical for me - lesser storage, nest for pests, inconvenient to retrieve food items (e.g., onion, garlic) if they roll under the cabinets.

this point is very valid... never thought of that :P

Avoid glass panels, good to see but maintenance is high esp in bathroom, kitchen.

Cleaning glass stain with oils/grease in kitchen is a nightmare!!

are you refering to the glass backsplash or glass sliding doors in kitchen? cos pple always say glass backsplash is installed for easy cleaning... :o

I have 12 ft of black tempered glass backsplash and never regretted it. It's easy to clean and I cook almost everyday. It also makes my kitchen look sleek. My kitchen walls are cement screeded.

Avoid glass panels, good to see but maintenance is high esp in bathroom, kitchen.

Cleaning glass stain with oils/grease in kitchen is a nightmare!!

hw often do you clean?

if u clean only after a long long time, den yes, oil and grease buildup on glass is difficult to clean off.

but if u clean regularly, like once a week or even once a fortnight if u dun cook daily, den glass is super easy to clean. easier than a lot of other surfaces tt also gives tt expensive, upmarket look, eg. stainless steel. Stainless steel is difficult to clean in that it is easily scratch by a lot of cleaning products.

For glass, u just need to spray some cleaning solution tt breaks down built-up oil/grease, leave it on for a short while, den wipe it off with paper towel. rinse off the cleaning solution using a damp paper towel. if u clean off any oil/dirt immediately, it's even easier as u only need water and paper towel.

I have 12 ft of black tempered glass backsplash and never regretted it. It's easy to clean and I cook almost everyday. It also makes my kitchen look sleek. My kitchen walls are cement screeded.

[/quote

mmmh, i maybe wrong then, cos my friend told me he installed those clear glasses in kitchen...the grease/stain marks are so dirty..

maybe he washes them once every few mths... :unsure:

Glass shower screens are not to hard to maintain if you use a car windscreen scraper (like a T shape with a strip of rubber at the end).

We decided not to install a glass wall in the kitchen due to cleaning issues.

My big regret was not getting the electricians to put my read surround speaker wires in the trunking or under the floor. Have had to trail ugly speaker wires around the room.

Don't put too many lights in your ceiling light box. We have 10 and even though they are eco bulbs we still see the electricity bill go up noticeably if we use them regularly.

Be careful choosing a dining table light. We got a long one and although it looks good, it generates quite a lot of heat and being long, there is only one position you can put the table in.

Don't skimp on bathroom accessories. Most of the accessories packs contain cheap chrome coated plastic. They look cheap and feel cheap. Spend a bit of money and get stainless steel or the like to help give the feeling of quality.

If you get a big wall mirror for the bathroom, try and make sure it is hung with brackets rather than just being stuck to the wall. We had one that started to develop 'patches' 6 months after installation. We removed it and bought a mirror with brackets which has had no issues at all.

Listen to your aircon installer about placement of the fan coils. We had one installed in the master bedroom over the bathroom door. Looks great but is in a corner and cannot cool the room properly. The previous owner had theirs halfway along a wall facing the bed. Didn't look so good but I am sure it worked a lot better.

If you upgrade your fan coils to a higher capacity, make sure the compressor can also cope with the higher load. If it cannot with all fan coils on at the same time then you will get reduced cooling.

Minimize built in carpentry. It will save large amounts on the reno. If you buy separate units, you can rearrange their position as you needs change, if they get spoilt it is easy to replace, when you move to a new apartment you can take them with you.

RB

Listen to your aircon installer about placement of the fan coils. We had one installed in the master bedroom over the bathroom door. Looks great but is in a corner and cannot cool the room properly. The previous owner had theirs halfway along a wall facing the bed. Didn't look so good but I am sure it worked a lot better.

very true about the aircon FCU placement. is most efficient to put the FCU facing the bed, not at any corners, as the louvres may not direct the chilled air towards the bedroom. there're different school of thoughts though, some say direct air blowing is too cold, but can always turn down the cooling power, which translates to savings in power...

very true about the aircon FCU placement. is most efficient to put the FCU facing the bed, not at any corners, as the louvres may not direct the chilled air towards the bedroom. there're different school of thoughts though, some say direct air blowing is too cold, but can always turn down the cooling power, which translates to savings in power...

Our air-con installer suggested to place the aircon beside the bed instead of facing the bed

cos he said it's not good for the air con to blow into our nose...

quite true actually esp for us cos all of us have nose allergy