Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adrian_john

Our 2nd Home In Bishan

mmm will the overhead compartment be a mini hazard? I'm thinking of clumsy me again but then I guess you guys aren't as clumsy as me. :P

I like the slanted compartments in the show cabinet but will you be able to fit many shoes in it?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
@hello88

Thanks for the compliments. For my drawings, I roughly sketch them out in pencil, then refine it using a fine-tip drawing pen. After which, it's scanned into 300dpi resolution PDF, converted to a JPEG image file. From the image file, I use Photoshop to place in layers of images (e.g. superimposed pictures), shading (for a more 3D look) and text.

Thanks to this reno process, I've actually kinda revived my rusty old school mode of sketching. I'm trying to improve by learning to go full digital (eg. 3D). Am gonna purchase a drawing tablet next week and see if that can help improve my traditional to digital transition. :)

wow, this is what i call true design talents and not merely relying on designing software. Were u in the Arts stream? A drawing tablet would definitely make u excel further in your designs. Would wait eagerly for those designs done up with your drawing tablet.

@Pet

Yes Pet, thanks for pointing it out! I thought it'd be abit funny initially when sketching it and now that I look at it, I think the overhead compartment will be a hazard indeed - Bump head everytime you get up. I think reworking it without it would be better. If I don't use that section for a seating settee, I guess I could use it as spare space to put umbrellas and prams. :)

@Hello88

Thanks again for your comments. You really flatter me. Erm, honestly, my art used to suck in Sec school. My teacher used to hold up my work with another's work and say 'beauty and the beast'; of which mine was the latter. :P Only gradually 'improved' from Sec 4 and beyond. I see sketching more of a leisurely pursuit in my own time or for visualisation at work these days.

Edited by adrian_john

ehhh your teacher is so mean!! how can criticise student like that.... but now u are doing really well

@Pet

Yes Pet, thanks for pointing it out! I thought it'd be abit funny initially when sketching it and now that I look at it, I think the overhead compartment will be a hazard indeed - Bump head everytime you get up. I think reworking it without it would be better. If I don't use that section for a seating settee, I guess I could use it as spare space to put umbrellas and prams. :)

:) Thanks to my clumsy nature, I learn to look out for mini hazards. :)

I like your new picture.. you know that compartment which you put muji boxes at the moment? You can have a rod there for hanging umbrellas and have doors for the area... :) The drawers are a good idea.. for socks. hehe.

A Visualisation of the Foyer Area with the shoe cabinet and suspended cabinet on the opposite end. Actually, I think perhaps it may be wiser to move the suspended drawers to the other end closer to the door cos' I guess functionally speaking, we'd take our shoes first then sit down near the entrance to wear them, and then easily take our cards/keys/etc. before moving out of the house.

draftsketchfoyercloseup.jpg

Edited by adrian_john

:) Thanks to my clumsy nature, I learn to look out for mini hazards. :)

I like your new picture.. you know that compartment which you put muji boxes at the moment? You can have a rod there for hanging umbrellas and have doors for the area... :) The drawers are a good idea.. for socks. hehe.

Clumsy..Ahahaha..Welcome to the Club. I'm an ultra clutz (or what my wife sometimes like to say 'ter ter') too! :P

The idea for hanging umbrellas is really very good. I did up a sketch where I tried to reconfigure the shoe shelves in a different way so that one side can be set aside for kids' shoes and shoes in boxes and factored a small section to hang the brollies within the cabinet itself so that they're hidden. Unfortunately I made some error with the perspective lines so it looks abit off. But here's the raw sketch to show how it looks.

shoecabinetpart2b.jpg

ehhh your teacher is so mean!! how can criticise student like that.... but now u are doing really well

Hahaha, that wasn't the worst thing she said lah. She always seemed to have something against the art I churned out then because I couldn't meet up to her high expectations I guess. :rolleyes: But seriously, I think my art really sucked big time so I don't blame her.

Edited by adrian_john

I like the suspended drawers and cabinets. This gives it a more airy and spacious feel. Not so cluttered.

From wendy

Thanks Wendy. Yeah, that's what I felt as well, cos' we thought having too much up-to-the-ceiling cupboards would really make the whole house too 'boarded up' so thought perhaps some free space would be a welcome breather.

Have been reading your blog about the stress from the handover, wallpaper and stains. Really sorry to hear about it but glad to see you guys are taking it positively. :) I'm dreading this sorta rush I'm gonna have to face at the end of my reno; because I have a very short window for renovation and moving in, especially if the current owner decides to drag the 2nd appointment further. So delays will really mess up everything.

Anyways, waiting for Uncle's quote still .... called him today and he said he'll look for me tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that he does but yet, mentally prepared to accumulate some Uncle 'Air Miles' :)

Edited by adrian_john

I like this layout.. nice and neat. I think it'll be aesthetically pleasing too.

I actually designed something like this for my own house. We have a full height shoe cabinet attached to a half-height one.. My mom came up with a "better" idea... She put the bar for the umbrellas at the upper portion. Her logic was that it's not easy to put shoes so high up... but it's easy to hold the bottom of the umbrella and hook it on a high bar... which is pretty true I guess.

But I think having it at the bottom looks neater. haha :P

wah liao. ur teacher is so mean. if urs is a "beast", then i think my drawing can be like ET?!?!? :bangwall:

Yeah i agree... maybe u can start doing part-time.. hahaha

earn some monies for sketching 3d for us!

Your teacher is really mean, i think she will just drop dead when she bump into me..

I cant even draw an apple.

I like the idea of the shoe cupboard and the umbrella section.

Pretty neat

Wow, realised I haven't actually been on the forum regularly, interacted with anyone or posted anything for 1 week now! I really miss it! Been hit with a heavy work schedule with lots of brain cracking and writing, so couldn't really spare the time to log on and browse the forum. But now that most of the big stuff's out of the way (for tomorrow at least since I'm on leave), I can finally get back to this forum! :)

@Guy77 and Charemme

Well, like I said earlier, my teacher was right lah, my art did suck back then. Until I went for a part-time art and basic graphic design course in Sec 4, which really helped me alot. I think it was better back then .. art was pretty hands-on, not so digitised as it is now. Erm, I don't think my sketches can help make me money lah... at most if I help people draw, maybe just treat me to a Ribena will do lah :P

Some updates: As expected, I have accumulated quite a number of Ah Soon Air Miles after 1 week of flying on Ah Soon Airlines. :) But no worries lah. I'll just wait and see if he's able to get back to me hopefully by next Friday (First Appointment Day - Yay!). By then, should have an indication of completion date and the mad rush I'll hopefully not need to have for moving in to the new place and out of the old!

During the past week, I also managed to meet up with Mr Yeak. He's also a very nice and sincere man and he reverted to me with a quotation pretty fast as well. Plus point about him is that he's very fluent in English, so communication is easier for me. His quotation was also pretty reasonable and worth considering. Just wondering if perhaps any of his clients would care to share with me some objective feedback on his good/bad points, workmanship etc. If details need to be discreet, then do drop me a PM. All feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

OK, time for me to get back to surfing the forum... better enjoy free time while it lasts ...