Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
born_again

The Baking Clubby

no worries.. everyone got his/her first time for everything. Just learn from experience slowly. :)

Haha, first time do cheesecake leh..... Everything must try then know whether it works anot mah. :P hehehhehe, going to do the same one again this wkend. Hopefully it'll will jiggle for me bah. :P

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Cute cookies by BunBun again:

chipndalecookiesjustbef.jpg

chipndalecookiesbeingco.jpg

Butter Cookie recipe

Ingredients:

(makes about 36 pieces)

100g butter, softened at room temperature

80g caster sugar

1 egg yolk

180g cake flour

20g corn flour

Method:

1. Sift cake flour and corn flour together and set aside. Line baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.

2. With an electric mixer, add in sugar to the butter in 2 ~3 additions and cream till the mixture turns pale and fluffy.

3. Add in egg yolk and mix well.

4. Add sifted flour mixture in 2 ~ 3 additions, stir with a spatula to form a soft dough.

5. Place dough in a plastic bag and flatten with rolling pin.

6. Refrigerate the dough for about half an hour.

7. Remove dough from fridge. Roll out dough on slightly floured work surface and cut out with slightly floured cookie cutters. If the dough appears to be a little to hard and breaks into pieces while rolling, leave it at room temperature for a few minutes. The dough will soften up and can be rolled easily.

8. Bake at pre-heated oven at 175 degC for 15 ~ 20mins.

9. Let cool and store in air-tight container.

Hello Bun Bun,

check with you ar. I tried using your cookie recipe last weekend, but the dough doesn't seem quite right leh cos it breaks easily. I've also tried leaving it at room temperature for a few minutes but it still remains the same.

Any idea why? Is it because I didn't leave it in the fridge long enough?

If you've followed the steps properly, the dough will be as it is, not bendable like plastique. It does break easily, need to handle with care if you're cutting out shapes. If it breaks, roll it up again till it fuses with the other pieces of the dough just like making dough balls and flatten it out.

You should sprinkle some flour on the worktop before putting the dough on it. (This will ensure the dough will not stick to the worktable) But if you don't like the idea of a very oily worktop as a result, you can try an alternative. Place 2 sheets of parchment paper on the worktop then sprinkle some flour on the parchment paper before putting the dough & flattening it with a roll pin. This is easier as you can 'peel' the parchment paper away from the cookie after cutting out the shape. Again, remember to flour your cutter lightly before cutting. Don't cut too hard as well & try not to flatten the dough too thin or it will be difficult for you to remove the shape without breaking it. :)

When I first tried this, it took me over an hour to get the dough flattened & cut properly without breaking at all. Practice makes perfect. :)

Below is a picture of the actual dough being flattened & the cut out shapes on parchment paper.

dough2009.jpg

Hope this helps.

Hello Bun Bun,

check with you ar. I tried using your cookie recipe last weekend, but the dough doesn't seem quite right leh cos it breaks easily. I've also tried leaving it at room temperature for a few minutes but it still remains the same.

Any idea why? Is it because I didn't leave it in the fridge long enough?

Edited by BunBun

If you've followed the steps properly, the dough will be as it is, not bendable like plastique. It does break easily, need to handle with care if you're cutting out shapes. If it breaks, roll it up again till it fuses with the other pieces of the dough just like making dough balls and flatten it out.

You should sprinkle some flour on the worktop before putting the dough on it. (This will ensure the dough will not stick to the worktable) But if you don't like the idea of a very oily worktop as a result, you can try an alternative. Place 2 sheets of parchment paper on the worktop then sprinkle some flour on the parchment paper before putting the dough & flattening it with a roll pin. This is easier as you can 'peel' the parchment paper away from the cookie after cutting out the shape. Again, remember to flour your cutter lightly before cutting. Don't cut too hard as well & try not to flatten the dough too thin or it will be difficult for you to remove the shape without breaking it. :)

When I first tried this, it took me over an hour to get the dough flattened & cut properly without breaking at all. Practice makes perfect. :)

Below is a picture of the actual dough being flattened & the cut out shapes on parchment paper.

dough2009.jpg

Hope this helps.

I see.. Understood. Thought I did something wrongly cos its my first time baking cookies.

Thanks for your clarification! :D

You're welcome. :) Happy Baking!

I see.. Understood. Thought I did something wrongly cos its my first time baking cookies.

Thanks for your clarification! :D

As request, this is the cupcakes recipe for those that I made for PPP:

Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

DSC00844.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

Cupcake

- 225g unsalted butter, softened

- 100g caster sugar

- 225g plain flour

- 1.5 tsp baking powder

- 4 eggs

- 1 tsp vanilla essence

- 1.5 tsp fresh lemon juice

- zest of 1 orange and 2 lemons

Preheat the oven to 175deg.

Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk (by hand or electric whisk) until smooth and pale. Spoon the mixture into muffin cases. Bake for about 20mins.

Remove the muffin cases from the oven and cool for 5mins. Then remove the cupcakes and cool on a rack. While cooling, make the cream cheese frosting.

Frosting

- 250g softened cream cheese

- 50g softened butter

- 80g sifted icing sugar

- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence

In a medium bowl, cream the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla essence, then gradually stir in the sugar. Store in the fridge after use.

When the cupcakes are cool, either spread or pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and decorate if desire. :)

Edited by Angel81

Darling! ur cupcakes really v v nice lei!! too bad i only ate 3 cos no more le :(

but hor, the cream is still too sweet for me.

halve the amount can le. u can save on the cream for others :D

when u wan make for me huh?

Darling! ur cupcakes really v v nice lei!! too bad i only ate 3 cos no more le :(

but hor, the cream is still too sweet for me.

halve the amount can le. u can save on the cream for others :D

when u wan make for me huh?

Hehe thanks thanks! Haha, really still too sweet ah? Haha, I oleli use only 1/2 amt of the sugar in the original recipe leh. hehehe, okiez. Next time wen I make more for u, I use even lesser amt. Heheheh.. Btw heng I make cream cheese frosting instead of those regular icing frosting. If not, confirm will be much too sweet for u. heheh

I THINK i ate minimum 10 :P

one mouth one cake!

Hahaha! No wonder new new no more to eat lah! heheh, I made 30 in total. :P Hee, that's why I like mini cupcakes, eat more also nvm. Eat only one will b able to taste and have room for other stuff. hhehehehe

Hello :D Add myself here.. cause I also do baking.

Was wondering at first I saw this t-blog but when I want to find it went missing.

Me doing baking for cupcakes & cookies nia.

welcome....after the PPP, all too bz to bake liao....

post some pictures of what you bake and also recipes.... :dribble:

yoz...been shy to post my bakes actually...

will try to make some homemade bread this weekend and hoping it'll turn out well with my breadmaker ;)