Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
born_again

The Baking Clubby

yup,its the recipe from the blog,just that i add a bit more flour to make the dough a bit more "dry"

so that it can be easily pressed thats all.

No i don have doreamon cookie cutter lei,U mean this one?

SAM_0323.jpg

This is the Cutest kueh balu I ever seen. Makes me really want to try baking at my new home. Hehe....

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

LOL! I see nothing , I hear nothing, I speak nothing. Kekeke

About the mixers, its a matter of preference. Of course I feel that beginners start with the cheap mixers - that is if they are not sure whether they will enjoy baking or not and besides if they do not use the mixer often, it will be less of an heartache since it is cheap.

For the mid-high range priced mixers, quality says alot if you are going to be constantly baking. Point is, you do not want to have a mixer break down on you everytime during a bake. Mine is consider mid-range priced since I got my current mixer from malaysia and I still have the cornell mixer minus the stand - the stand that held the mixer head, spoiled within a few months after I got it as a housewarming gift back then. Fortunately the mixer head is detachable and usable.

This is just my personal view point only.

ahhhhh... this scene must be censored... not suitable for young kids hahahahaha :lol:

was hoping to make some cookies and bring home for my parents... but not sure if i have the time or not :(

i was looking at mixers the other day. there are some really ex ones (> $1k) and some really cheap ones with plastic bowl - cheapest i saw only $39 with the usual stuff all included. does it really matter to buy a very very good one? :dunno:

Edited by BunBun

LOL! I see nothing , I hear nothing, I speak nothing. Kekeke

About the mixers, its a matter of preference. Of course I feel that beginners start with the cheap mixers - that is if they are not sure whether they will enjoy baking or not and besides if they do not use the mixer often, it will be less of an heartache since it is cheap.

For the mid-high range priced mixers, quality says alot if you are going to be constantly baking. Point is, you do not want to have a mixer break down on you everytime during a bake. Mine is consider mid-range priced since I got my current mixer from malaysia and I still have the cornell mixer minus the stand - the stand that held the mixer head, spoiled within a few months after I got it as a housewarming gift back then. Fortunately the mixer head is detachable and usable.

This is just my personal view point only.

that is exactly my concern... i dun think i will dislike baking, but more of what if i have no time to bake? so wanna make smaller investment... but dunno if the small investment makes sense if it's not going to be good.

you mean those cheap mixers spoil so easily??? :o

how about hand mixer...? good?

if u make small quantity it would be very fast..while u are baking the cookies,around 15minutes time,u can

do the washing at the same time,total x spent less than 1 hr.

For 1 tray of cookies,it can fill up a smaller box of the chinese new year container as i shown earlier. ;)

that's becos you are season baker mah.... i spent 3 hours in total to make that 2 small trays of cookies :( ... 3 hrs from beginning to the end (washing)

maybe i can save some time by having a mixer....... :P *drafting budget request*

If you don't bake often, you can consider getting a cheap one first.

But if its a long term investment for baking, i feel it is better to get a good quality one that will last you well. Cheap mixers, some do last long but the wear and tear will be more obvious than those with better quality.

Eg; my cornell mixer can only be used for 5 min because anything beyond 5 min, it will overheat. But my other mixer can last beyond 5 min. So it's not too bad. You need to figure out what you need for your investment, do some research on the models you're looking at and decide from there.

Hand mixer is almost the same as stand mixers but you will feel tired holding it for so long keke

that is exactly my concern... i dun think i will dislike baking, but more of what if i have no time to bake? so wanna make smaller investment... but dunno if the small investment makes sense if it's not going to be good.

you mean those cheap mixers spoil so easily??? :o

how about hand mixer...? good?

Edited by BunBun

If you don't bake often, you can consider getting a cheap one first.

But if its a long term investment for baking, i feel it is better to get a good quality one that will last you well. Cheap mixers, some do last long but the wear and tear will be more obvious than those with better quality.

Eg; my cornell mixer can only be used for 5 min because anything beyond 5 min, it will overheat. But my other mixer can last beyond 5 min. So it's not too bad. You need to figure out what you need for your investment, do some research on the models you're looking at and decide from there.

Hand mixer is almost the same as stand mixers but you will feel tired holding it for so long keke

i see... thanks for the advice :) i may start with a cheapo mixer or a hand mixer... shall shop around since there is a lot of CNY sales now. ;)

yesterday when i saw at Courts, next to a $900++ K-mix is a Iona mixer $39 only. all the mixing parts look the same... i was like :jawdrop:

i saw that normally mixers come with 2 "mixer heads" (is this the correct term?), one looks like a few loops put together, the other is spiral one... are these all we need? :unsure:

The mixer heads you are referring to are beaters and the ones you described are the dough beaters used for kneading dough for bread, buns etc

Usually, mixers come with the 4 blade beater which comes in a pair and is commonly seen in hand & stand mixers, and the dough beaters as an added/bonus or extra in a mixer set for kneading dough for bread, buns etc. See below pic :)

beaters.jpg

The only mixers that don't use 4 blade beaters are the kenwood and kitchenaid mixers as they use the wire whip beaters similar to a hand whisk head. Both wire whip and 4 blade beaters are used to beat egg/flour mixtures for cakes. Hope that helps.

i see... thanks for the advice :) i may start with a cheapo mixer or a hand mixer... shall shop around since there is a lot of CNY sales now. ;)

yesterday when i saw at Courts, next to a $900++ K-mix is a Iona mixer $39 only. all the mixing parts look the same... i was like :jawdrop:

i saw that normally mixers come with 2 "mixer heads" (is this the correct term?), one looks like a few loops put together, the other is spiral one... are these all we need? :unsure:

Edited by BunBun

Not chim leh, when you mix ingredients for bread, you have to knead by hand no? The same as kneading dough for making noodles. :P

Kneading is quite tiring cos need to continue kneading until not sticky anymore and the countertop is super messy by the time you're done with kneading. Tha's what the dough beaters are there for, you use it to knead the dough inside the mixing bowl. It's a convenient process actually but I have never used the dough beaters before since the only time I made bread was only one time and by hand somemore.

Chim!

i don always bake,and use only the hand help beater attached with the 4-blade beater!

it good enough! :P

When i do muffins (small quantity) I don even need to use it,just use spoon will do.Less washing.

The stand mixers are useful if you have a large volume of stuff to mix and you need to mix for a long time. I do occasional baking only (no bread making) and the hand-held cheap hand mixer is OK for me. I use it to cream butter and sugar together and also for whisking egg whites. Most of the other baking steps can be done by hand.

The mixer heads you are referring to are beaters and the ones you described are the dough beaters used for kneading dough for bread, buns etc

Usually, mixers come with the 4 blade beater which comes in a pair and is commonly seen in hand & stand mixers, and the dough beaters as an added/bonus or extra in a mixer set for kneading dough for bread, buns etc. See below pic :)

beaters.jpg

The only mixers that don't use 4 blade beaters are the kenwood and kitchenaid mixers as they use the wire whip beaters similar to a hand whisk head. Both wire whip and 4 blade beaters are used to beat egg/flour mixtures for cakes. Hope that helps.

ya not say very chim but took a while to understand! hahahahah really a lot of 学问 for baking ;)

actually i have an electric hand held whisker at home, but i never used cos dunno if can be used on dough...? :unsure:

Chim!

i don always bake,and use only the hand help beater attached with the 4-blade beater!

it good enough! :P

When i do muffins (small quantity) I don even need to use it,just use spoon will do.Less washing.

you have strong arms mah! :P

actually i have been using spatula to mix for these 2 times of baking... my arm really sores after that... hahahaha

The stand mixers are useful if you have a large volume of stuff to mix and you need to mix for a long time. I do occasional baking only (no bread making) and the hand-held cheap hand mixer is OK for me. I use it to cream butter and sugar together and also for whisking egg whites. Most of the other baking steps can be done by hand.

ya i'm thinking no need to invest in a very good one since i dun bake often, but hubby also says that better not get one that is too lousy... hahaha :P

ya i'm thinking no need to invest in a very good one since i dun bake often, but hubby also says that better not get one that is too lousy... hahaha :P

I agree with your hubby. Better not to get too cheap so u will use it more often then can share with the rest of us on rt??

Marshmallow: I simplify it then.

Dough hook Beater used to mix and knead dough.

Wire Whip Beater used to mix, emulsify or beat many different ingredients or to incorporate air into a mixture.

Spiral beater Beater used primarily to mix and knead light dough.

Four blade beater All-purpose beater used to mix, beat or whisk various ingredients

Four Blade & Wire Whip Beaters usually for creaming sugar, butter, whisking eggs and flour mixtures for cakes, cookies, cupcakes.

Dough Beaters (Eg; Dough Hook & Spiral Beaters) for Kneading dough for bread, buns, croissants etc.

Certain cake types do not need electric mixers as it involves manual whisking to incorporate air into the mixture.

So if your electric hand held mixer came with the dough beaters, eg the dough hook and spiral beaters in addition to the 4-Blade beaters, then you can use the dough beaters in your hand held mixer to use on dough. Find a suitable stand mixer that suits your purpose, budget. You can always upgrade to a better one next time in future if you want. ;)

ya not say very chim but took a while to understand! hahahahah really a lot of 学问 for baking ;)

actually i have an electric hand held whisker at home, but i never used cos dunno if can be used on dough...? :unsure:

you have strong arms mah! :P

actually i have been using spatula to mix for these 2 times of baking... my arm really sores after that... hahahaha

Edited by BunBun

What kind? The glutinous flour dumplings in rainbow colour?

Knead!Knead!Knead!Ya,i am going Knead the flour to make dumplings soon..