Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
doremon2009

D'amour ~ A Home With Peace,love ,happiness And Good Blessing.

Stages/Process in selecting the renovator

Hi all,

Possible to share what is the stages or usually how many time one need to meet up the shortlisted renovator before sign up the package from them? PS: renovator could mean ID, contractor etc

So far mine the stages I have gone through is described as below :-

1) 1st meeting

To share the floorplan with key requirements,theme, expectation etc

Have some discussion with the renovator.

2) 2nd meeting

The 1st round short listed from (1) come to my new house for site visit to measure, take pictures, do recording and recap the requirements, with minor changes after exchange of views.

3) 3rd meeting

1st round shortlisted renovators submit their 1st quotation.

Unfortunately, most are very brief and some doesnt meet or address what was discussed during 1st & 2nd meetings earlier. Those far fetch was out. Communication already not pass.

Inform 2nd round shortlisted renovators on those missing, mismatch area and ask them to requote.

4) 4th meeting

Some do show me the drawing, some don't.

None give me the drawings.

However, still have missing, mismatch areas.

Ended up I spent days to try to draw my concept on my floorplan ( but not savvy enough to draw to scale but just the concept, layout etc to bring across) and explain to them.

5) 3rd round shortlisted renovators suppose to revise the quote.

Out of these shortlisted,only 3 offer to show me 1 unit they have done up.

Among these 3, 1 is out after seeing the poor workmanship on how tiles is being layed.

So far I have not travelled with them to the shops they recommend to view and select the materials.

6) Now it's the stage where they got the requirements near 100% right but it is not not clear in their description.

Mainly I not sure as it's quite vague so I started to share on this thread to seek for advises.

Meanwhile am also compiling the queries to check with those shortlisted renovators.

7) Among these shortlisted renovators, there are some aggressive ones whom want me to place deposit asap.

I am not ready to do so as personally, I find it's still too immature stage and rather deter the push/such pressure.

To me 八字还没一撇, when it's not even reach the stage where I feel comfortable or confident about.

Somehow just find something is still amist. Thankfully many in this forum shared that indeed the listed quotation is not clear and may have many loop holes..

To tackle these, what I gathered from Reno talk buddies here is :-

1) quote need to itemised and breakdown to detail level and with clear description of materials, dimension etc.

2) must reach the/feel confident from the renovator

3) ask for more site visit to houses they'd done up to check quality of work

4) to tackle my inexperience or ingnorance as at times I am able to judge. May need help to know how to ask the right questions or rather what to ask and check.

Any steps I miss out here?

Advises please ! ; ) :help:

Nevertheless, able to communicate is the key and comfortable with the person but the assurance to delivery has highest priority. However, feel /first few impression can be decieving.

So far never bump into one whom have such perfect attributes and chemistry.

Like someone has shared it's such a tough process like finding the right GF or BF haha..

Guess some of the very good ones are too busy and have too many projects on hand, thus has shared that not able to take up my case since it is so time critical on the delivery.

So it's for me to discover/realised the potential renovator. So till I see the quality delivered, I will post it in my thread to share ; )

Thanks!

Edited by doremon2009

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hey man,

don't bother going shopping with an ID or contractor you haven't decided to engage yet.

I got 5 different quotes and settled on the ID we felt most comfortable with (unfortunately she was the most expensive ;-) )

But she wasn't too far off the rest and we really clicked with her.

Anyway, check out this page:

http://www.homestudiodesignassociates.com/...les/Page739.htm

I didn't get them to do my reno, but it's just interesting that there packaged out there where they "kau tiem" (am only half chinese so selling should be wrong) everything and even give you a mitsubishi system 3.

Have a look at this quote.

It seems pretty comprehensive. Just add on what else you need, send it off to the IDs you feel comfortable with and aren't sharks.

Demolition work

-Hacking of existing kitchen & both toilet floor tiles

-Hacking of existing kitchen & both toilet wall tiles

-Provide sand ,haulage services & debris removal.

-Provide dismantle existing kitchen cabinet &sink

Support.

-Provide dismantle of existing w.c.& wash basin

-Provide dismantle of existing both toilet door & frame.

-Hacking of existing living,dining ,bedroom & storeroom flooring

Masonry work

-Supply/lay homogeneous flooring tiles c/w skirting for

Living /dining.

-Supply /lay homogeneous floor tiles c/w skirting for 3 bedroom.

-Construct cabinet base with tiles skirting

-Construct wash machine base with tiles finish

-Construct fridge base with tiles

-Supply /lay water proofing membrance for kitchen & both toilet floor

-Supply/lay designer ceramic wall tiles for kitchen (full height).

-Supply/lay designer ceramic wall tiles for master toilet. (full height)

-Supply /lay designer ceramic wall tiles for common toilet (full height)

-Supply/lay homogeneous floor tiles for kitchen

-Supply/lay homogeneous floor tiles for master toilet.

-supply/lay homogeneous floor tiles for common toilet.

Ceiling work

-Supply/install design cornice for living/dining

-Supply/install design cornice for 3 bedroom

-Supply /construct false ceiling at bedroom foyer.

Plumbing work

-Replace stainless steel piping for whole unit.

-Install imported w.c suite at m/toilet.

-Install imported w.c suite at c/toilet.

-Install wash basin at m/toilet

-Install wash basin at c/toilet.

-install instant heater for 2 toilet

-To lay inlet/outlet pipe for sink and wash

Machine

-Provide labour for installing bathroom

Accessories for both toilet.

Painting work

-Ici paint for all internal wall & ceiling

-Ici paint for doors, door frame ,main gate, pipeline.

Toilets bifold door

-Supply/install aluminium bifold door for both toilet.

Carpentry work

-To design and fabricate 20ft kitchen cabinet c/w dish drainer ,handles,drawer,abs trimming and laminate finish.

Aiyo.....I do the reno for you la... :D

jaskel, i need your help :D

i need someone to help me hack my whole house, hack only, nothing else :D

Yo Doraemon,

Sorry, been too busy - got something very important coming up next week so haven't been logging in as often as I'd would have liked.

Your list seems quite extensive - can't see where the prices are going but if its bundle pricing, I'd advise you to weigh the pros-cons of the paints provided + the price differences for the contractors. Either way, you can see where your comparisons vs the market rate is reasonable.

For the cement screed, my place was just like yours, a new unit left vacant for 6 years due to oversupply but the main balcony already had cement screeding done before, so it is better to confirm if your balcony has been cement screeded before - you save the money for the cement screeding.

HDB sent their contractor to do the cement screeding for my place(whole unit except the toilets/balcony) first. Then my external contractor (Ho Bee) did the kitchen flooring after the cement screeding was done.

You can however omit several unimportant items from your list if you're on a budget. E.g; I did away with the fridge and washing machine base - simply because the fridge has 'legs' + my family home does not even have bases for both fridge/washing machine & there was no major issue for not having any base after that.

Yo Doraemon,

Sorry, been too busy - got something very important coming up next week so haven't been logging in as often as I'd would have liked.

Your list seems quite extensive - can't see where the prices are going but if its bundle pricing, I'd advise you to weigh the pros-cons of the paints provided + the price differences for the contractors. Either way, you can see where your comparisons vs the market rate is reasonable.

For the cement screed, my place was just like yours, a new unit left vacant for 6 years due to oversupply but the main balcony already had cement screeding done before, so it is better to confirm if your balcony has been cement screeded before - you save the money for the cement screeding.

HDB sent their contractor to do the cement screeding for my place(whole unit except the toilets/balcony) first. Then my external contractor (Ho Bee) did the kitchen flooring after the cement screeding was done.

You can however omit several unimportant items from your list if you're on a budget. E.g; I did away with the fridge and washing machine base - simply because the fridge has 'legs' + my family home does not even have bases for both fridge/washing machine & there was no major issue for not having any base after that.

Hi Bun,

Well shared! ; )

Come to think of it what's the purpose of having cement base for fridge & washing machine etc..??

haha!! Jaskel I don't mind provided it's FOC ;) Supervising and managing the contractors also can : D

Hey man,

don't bother going shopping with an ID or contractor you haven't decided to engage yet.

I got 5 different quotes and settled on the ID we felt most comfortable with (unfortunately she was the most expensive ;-) )

But she wasn't too far off the rest and we really clicked with her.

Anyway, check out this page:

http://www.homestudiodesignassociates.com/...les/Page739.htm

I didn't get them to do my reno, but it's just interesting that there packaged out there where they "kau tiem" (am only half chinese so selling should be wrong) everything and even give you a mitsubishi system 3.

Have a look at this quote.

It seems pretty comprehensive. Just add on what else you need, send it off to the IDs you feel comfortable with and aren't sharks.

Demolition work

-Hacking of existing kitchen & both toilet floor tiles

-Hacking of existing kitchen & both toilet wall tiles

-Provide sand ,haulage services & debris removal.

-Provide dismantle existing kitchen cabinet &sink

Support.

-Provide dismantle of existing w.c.& wash basin

-Provide dismantle of existing both toilet door & frame.

-Hacking of existing living,dining ,bedroom & storeroom flooring

Masonry work

-Supply/lay homogeneous flooring tiles c/w skirting for

Living /dining.

-Supply /lay homogeneous floor tiles c/w skirting for 3 bedroom.

-Construct cabinet base with tiles skirting

-Construct wash machine base with tiles finish

-Construct fridge base with tiles

-Supply /lay water proofing membrance for kitchen & both toilet floor

-Supply/lay designer ceramic wall tiles for kitchen (full height).

-Supply/lay designer ceramic wall tiles for master toilet. (full height)

-Supply /lay designer ceramic wall tiles for common toilet (full height)

-Supply/lay homogeneous floor tiles for kitchen

-Supply/lay homogeneous floor tiles for master toilet.

-supply/lay homogeneous floor tiles for common toilet.

Ceiling work

-Supply/install design cornice for living/dining

-Supply/install design cornice for 3 bedroom

-Supply /construct false ceiling at bedroom foyer.

Plumbing work

-Replace stainless steel piping for whole unit.

-Install imported w.c suite at m/toilet.

-Install imported w.c suite at c/toilet.

-Install wash basin at m/toilet

-Install wash basin at c/toilet.

-install instant heater for 2 toilet

-To lay inlet/outlet pipe for sink and wash

Machine

-Provide labour for installing bathroom

Accessories for both toilet.

Painting work

-Ici paint for all internal wall & ceiling

-Ici paint for doors, door frame ,main gate, pipeline.

Toilets bifold door

-Supply/install aluminium bifold door for both toilet.

Carpentry work

-To design and fabricate 20ft kitchen cabinet c/w dish drainer ,handles,drawer,abs trimming and laminate finish.

Thanks !

So u get Plush to do for you?

Their pricing reasonable and quality ok?

Hmm I think just read the reviews on them...sometimes you just have to trust them. for example when I selected my contractor I did so because I felt comfortable with him and because basically he just gave me and my husband a good feeling. I also have no experience prior to renovating this house of mine...

For paint, I used Dulux and Nippon...most of my walls are painted using Pentalite and so far it looks great...though in kitchen and bathroom better to use those anti-mould paint...

Thanks Angel, will take note on that ; )

Oops! click the wrong one earlier..

4mm seem too thin for me .... I only heard got 7/8/10 mmm etc etc ... not lower then 4mm ....

Thanks for pointing that out.

Prego is reputable so it must be safe.

By now I more or less will chose Prego for Laminate and Hau Hau for Parquet if their quote not too expensive.

Hi All,

Really thanks for the helpful and the kind sharing ! : ) :yamseng:

I really need as many feedback asap.

Need to start reno very soon. Thus, has to work triple pace on my side.

Unfortunately all the renovators that I have contacted quotes send to me are varied and with as little description..

As an unseason customer, I find it quite tough ..

Think to speed up the process wonder if it's better that I come out the list, after consolidate all and let them fill in the blanks?

:help:

By the some renovators tell me they carry many brands and type of materials keep asking me to join and go with them to the different shops they recommend. However, I wish to check with you all.. if I have not decided/sign up is it ok that I do such? 1st, I really don't know what material is the good one and what's not. 2nd, is it ok to go with them to shops if I have not sign up with them? Actually some asked me to put deposit first before bring me to the diff shops..or provide further services except provide me the quote.

:help:

btw renotalk email box cleared already.. is it limited to only 10 emails??

Alternative, can also email me to trufaole@gmail.com

Ideally if can send me the quotation you have so I can understand how detail it should be.

!!THANKS!!

hi doremon,

pls. do not put any deposit if u have not confirmed that u want to engage any of them yet.

they r trying to "trap" u - very unscrupulous imo.

1. must get itemised quote from every ID/contractor that u approach.

2. my personal opinion - drop those who keep advertising like ****

and/or

try to siam from giving u itemised quote

and/or

include freebies (like cooker hood/hob, aircon, etc.) - the $ still has to come from somewhere (definitely not their pocket!)

3. must NEVER pay any $ at all - unless u have confirmed that u want to engage that particular ID/contractor.

(paying a "deposit" will make you "heart-pain" later if u decide not to proceed with that particular ID/contractor.)

in short, pls. get ur itemised quotes first.

then u can see/add up the items that you want in your reno, therefroe you can fit your own budget.

(do prepare for about 10% additional variation cost on top of your budget.

e.g. you pick and choose the items that you want, within your budget of $20k, so u prepare to set aside about $22k.

this is because, when choosing materials, chances are you might end up choosing 'better' materials for some stuff (e.g. higher-end laminates or kitchen top, etc.).

(or you can work backwards, reno budget 18k, set aside 20k, i.e. 2k buffer for additionals/upgrades of materials).

juz pls. do remember that - you should NOT pay anything before you confirm that you want to engage any one of them.

on the other hand, i would speculate that they r trying to psycho u to put a deposit now becos:

1. 'lock' u in - once u pay this, this should count as part of your payment for your reno IF u decide to engage them for ur reno.

2. bringing u to see the products, etc. take up their time - so they want some $ for that.

(and there are MANY MANY types of materials for every single **** thing... e.g. for the floor u can have homogeneous tiles or laminate, etc. etc.)

i don't think they will want to spend so much time with u without a "assurance" (hint: $) that u will engage them for ur reno.

for materials...

hope this helps & gd luck! :)

Edited by firehorse

Ok no problem at all...what u want to hack and doremon can supervise FOC ;)

Edited by jaskel