Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
doremon2009

D'amour ~ A Home With Peace,love ,happiness And Good Blessing.

Hi,

Getting my new house soon..

Excitement and with mix of uncertainty of how and what to do next..but will always tell myself be steady, go step by step and don't rush into it without getting myself fully research about how to go about doing it.. and here's I come to this special renotalk that become my frequent website whenever I can afford the time..

After all it's my first time to do renovation better be deligent rather than be sorry.

Hope I can find some kakis here ; )

If you are also interested, may be we can go together, if happen that we are buying the same thing, can further bargain for good price and at the same time, can may have better quality of installation, service etc.

And we can share tips, exchange info or lobang.

Most importantly for those who are another level higher than us, ie those who already have done up their house are most welcome to share your views, advises, experiences and recommendations too : )

Just sharing :-

Get to know that there is some exhibition that may be relevant for those who wants to do up the house. For I will drop by, may be can find good deal in laminate flooring, iron wrought, aircon,water heater etc..

Singapore Expo

-------------------

03 Oct 2009 - 11 Oct 2009

Singapore Home & Design 2009

Admission: Public - Free Admission

Venue: Hall 6A

24 Oct 2009 - 01 Nov 2009

Gracious Living 2009

Admission: Public - Free Admission

Venue: Hall 6A

Edited by doremon2009

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Congrats and welcome, doremon2009! :)

It is good to start planning early. You are at the right place to find out more about home renovations! Many people share their experiences here with details of their renovations progress coupled with photos. There are quite some good blogs here but you'll need to take time to read them through. Do also read up more of those home interior magazines to get ideas, and search around the internet for more ideas.

Our personal experience started in April was to start meeting up with various IDs to get their ideas and quotations. Visited those home interior fairs at Expo as well but just be careful with some of the exhibitors there. They can be very persistent and even irritating. Many of those folks there are simply sales people.

We requested for quotations from some 10 IDs and managed to meet up about 6 of them, but eventually decided on engaging a recommended contractor to do our renovations instead as by that time, my wife and myself already has ideas and knows what we wanted. It is also to cut costs as we are on a tight budget due to various commitments.

Our renovations started end-July and were completed by mid-Sep. Have finally moved in last weekend.

So enjoy the process and start checking out the various IDs! :D

Hi Doremon, welcome to RT. you've got your floorplan oredi, what about any pics, gotten your keys? but then normally i wouldn't recommend u to go to those Home Fairs, becos quite a lot of RT forummers have complained about bad svc & bad attitude......

Hi 小丁当

Welcome welcome

Me will be gg down to home and decor too but not sourcing for anything but just wanna play with the BLUM system hahahahaha

Anyway it will be gd if you can upload your floorplan so that the bros and sis here and assist to give you some ideas and advice ;)

Hi,

Thanks blackcar, tuababy and Pinklady : )

Yeah, sure a new challenge to me haha though it's a happy path to 'chiong' for.

Indeed, RT is the sea of knowledge, however, there don't seem to have good search feature for one to zoom down to exact detail one wish to find.. really need hours and hours of filtering.. my eyes really pain and red.. haha.

How to filter and absorb the info also another skill to acquire. ; )

Now busy.. later got chance will upload loads of pictures once taken them.

By the way, anyone have done laminate flooring? Which brand is the best and economical?

Prego,Power Decor, etc..??Any other brand to recommend.

Really no clue how and what to chose..

Any advise, sharing, website or thread to recommend ?

Thought of laminate my 3 bedrooms and the study room.

And all rooms will have it's own unique theme, feel and world.

Not sure if it's common where each room has it's own color of wall and flooring.

Just happen to come across the website and request for quote though :

http://www.flooroption.com/collection.htm

The cheapest range seems it's the Prego Family.

If ask about color, I may chose :

PF4628,Beech Plank

PF4502,Light Cherry

PF4627,Pearl Ash

PF4500,Wooden Chocolade

respectively.

The quote comes out to SGD 2 ,500 some more it's on promotion rate. Kind of expensive right?

Wonder will the expo or thru reno company offer much lesser price?

Anyone can share and advise?

Will chat again : )

Oops! Forgot to put in the diagram.. hmm.. trying to figure out how..

Here's the floorplan

newhseflrplan.jpg

Use photobuket.com for uploading of pics. Nice layout and space planning shldnt be difficult. Do you intend to have walk in wardrobe (WIW)? If yr master bedroom space are insufficient, you can build yr WIW at bedroom 2, abt 3 meters wide and 1 meter depth.

For laminate wood, my personal preference will be pergo instead of Power Dekor. Dont go for Ace Flooring, lousy material. You can try Supreme, many of them using this brand.

http://www.supremefloor.com.sg/LaminateFlooring.html

Use photobuket.com for uploading of pics. Nice layout and space planning shldnt be difficult. Do you intend to have walk in wardrobe (WIW)? If yr master bedroom space are insufficient, you can build yr WIW at bedroom 2, abt 3 meters wide and 1 meter depth.

For laminate wood, my personal preference will be pergo instead of Power Dekor. Dont go for Ace Flooring, lousy material. You can try Supreme, many of them using this brand.

http://www.supremefloor.com.sg/LaminateFlooring.html

Hi Blackcar,

Thanks for your sharing : )

Today just come to know that there are even tiles that looks like wood materials and can even feel the surface like wood.. just that it's harder and most importantly easier to maintain. Price it's around SGD3.50 to SGD4 range. hmm..

Seems like there's so much discovery for the forthcoming findings and searches..

Hi Coffee O,

So you already start reno already ? ; )

In any case, our floor plan seems similiar ?

Eh ? yours an EM too ?

Btw your new place at which location ah ?

Ya I do notice that our balcony looks quite similar hahahaha

Anyway find that your layout kinda unique leh so how big is your place ?

Btw I will be starting my reno in Nov :)

Edited by coffee_o

Eh ? yours an EM too ?

Btw your new place at which location ah ?

Ya I do notice that our balcony looks quite similar hahahaha

Anyway find that your layout kinda unique leh so how big is your place ?

Btw I will be starting my reno in Nov :)

Where is your location?

Which ID or renovator you are enaging?

Mine is 123sq m : )

Where is your location?

Which ID or renovator you are enaging?

Mine is 123sq m : )

Mine is an EM in Tampines.

Engaged Jason to do up my house le

So your's a 5 rm i presume ?

Been away for awhile, now coming back to Renotalk ..

Here's some updates from my side..

1) Realised the house comes with very few and little windows. Not enough natural light and wind.

2)The kitchen too small, not sure how to fully maximise the the space. As family needs lots of kitchen cabinet storage.

The entrance of kitchen and the common toilet entrance layout not so good.. ended up waste of space and can't do anything.

Cannot place anything there as it'll block the passage.

Anyone have similiar layout or can share some ideas?

2) A very old unit where nobody has stayed there for 10 years ie we are the first house owner.

It's the leftover unit like many those units where the government is finally releasing those units for sale to the ballot crowd..

3) Many defects that need rectification, is it true that when no one has maintain the house before, the materials detoriates even more and faster?

4) Just discovered that the outer wall even got water seeps in and resulting the patches of concrete and paint falling off..

HDB officier shared that it's Town Council matter..

5) There are list of defects within the unit which has been submitted ..has arranged for joint inspection,that HDB officer shared that will help to rectify.

Till now I have not heard any news when they can start the work.

Was told workers all go back to M'sia for Mid Autumn Festival leave..ask me to wait till next week for repy..

The keys given got at least 3 cannot work, was told will need to go back to HDB branch to collect the master keys..but since all lock and door knob tarnished, losen, so all such will need to be replaced.

Anything to sign inorder for HDB to commence the work?

Need to select tiles?

As one of the rectification is to replace all wall tiles (kitchen, common toilet and master room toilets) and floor tiles (service balcony, common toilet and master room toilets)

Till now no sound, no news..

6) Wonder if I can do my own reno in parallel with HDB rectification?

Or I have to wait till HDB finish the rectification work? which todate is unknown.

Huh? Wonder what can I do? Also not sure how long the rectification work need to take.. HDB shared need to ask the worker for timeline when they call me..

Anyone can help to share experience and advise?

Edited by doremon2009