Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
doremon2009

D'amour ~ A Home With Peace,love ,happiness And Good Blessing.

Kitchen top, Solid Surface

1)solid surface, it's better to get light colours so that the scratches cannot be easily seen 'cos solid surface scratches easily.

2) maybe can try to scratch it,if the ID allows it... to see how obvious the black against the white.. some did that for selection of the solid top.. scratch all to see how much difference it look and took the least obvious one..

light

4) never let your ID bring u buy light. they get fees for it and it comes from the higher price you pay

m'sia lights are bettar, but a bit more expensive than china/taiwan lights. got for a good reasonable price and is cheaper than those in Geylang lights.

Not sure where is this shop in m'sia though.. wonder who can share..

5) Per lighting point is about 35

checking in checking in! :)

ref. kitchen solid surface top, i haven't gone to that extent of test-scratching the samples.

do the ID/contractor really allow u to do that ah..?

what if everyone went to scratch abit, then there won't be much left of a sample ya? :D

and for the lights, our ID recommended that we buy our lights from 3 shops.

he did tell us that the price might not be as competitive, but the up-side is, if we get any of our lights from these 3 shops, he would take care of everything. e.g. if stuff are delivered broken, etc., quality and delivery issues.

if we bought from elsewhere, then we'd have to nego/liaise for the returns and deliveries of the replacements with the shops by ourselves.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
After cooling down... I ask myself what can I do now in the weekend where no office are in operation :-

I need to get the full grasp of the Renovation cycle/process, hope that can help to expedite the process..

How much further can it be streamline?

After HDB rectification, my reno must complete within 3weeks.. maximum 4 weeks without anymore delay.

Which can do in parallel and which can only do sequential, which to do first, which to do next, which to do last?

In the background in parallel has to start the procress of packing from old house already,

1) hacking

2) laying tiles

hopefully can do within 1st week

3) laying aircon gas and water pipe,

3a) can do wiring in parallel at this time ?

4) laminate flooring installation

hopefully can do within 2nd week

5) do custom built in cabinet, mirror, installation of accessories, what else?

6) installation of aircon, light

7) plastering then painting of walls

8) chemical clean by reno

9) cleaning whole house by me

10) mover to move in

hopefully can do within 3rd week

Handover house to buyer.

Care to advise anything I miss out? or have to take note ? Any detail I miss out?

Super time tight..

Just need a baseline to be a guideline to discuss with reno ; )

As I only have maximum 4 weeks timeframe to do reno, thus time for completion is crucial..

Any helpful feedback and advise is highly appreciated : )

Thanks!

Doremon

trufaole@gmail.com

Good Morning Doremon,

I just read that you only got 3 weeks to do up the reno. Are you able to negotiate the Handover date with your buyer? I think 3 weeks are really tight, esp. since you still got wetworks to do.

Have you engaged your renovator already? Do put through to him that you only have 3weeks for him to complete the list of renovation items.

For us, the laying of aircon gas pipe was done together with the installation of the aircons. And wiring need to be done before the aircon installation so that the aircon can be tested after the installation. My electrician fixed up the 15amp socket for the aircon first so that we can test our aircon.

Im not sure if you are doing conceal electrical points. For us, our plastering come before rewiring so that all the walls are smooth out before the casing/trunking are nailed on the walls.

Cant remember our exact reno schedule, it should be something like this:

1. Hacking

2. Tiling (for toilets & kitchen: wall tiles first, followed by waterproofing, then they will lay those big water pipes, then floor tiles)

3. Constructing of hollow block walls

4. Plastering

5. Plumbering (installation of basins, w.c., shower set etc)

6. Painting

7. Rewiring

8. Aircon installation

9. Carpentry

10. Installation of granite top

11. Plumbering for the kitchen sink

12. Installation of lights

13. Painting touchup

14. Retification works

Hi Thanks, Pinklady ; )

Wonder if in the end if I chose Parquet whether such also applicable or not..

By the way, do you have the stages or rather plan that you can share or PM me? which is sequential, which can be on parallel, and when to pay the reno?

eg. 1) hacking 2) laying tiles 3) laying aircon gas and water pipe 4) laminate flooring installation 5) Do up cabinet etc..

Thanks!

Doremon

doremon, okay for parquet, more extra care should be given, compared to laminates. althou laminates also a bit mafan (troublesome). Emm, actually when u sign on the dotted line for payment, its stated clearly there. like before beginning of reno, u have to pay a certain percentage to cover costs for buying of tiles etc etc. As far as i remember, its confirmed Step 1, hacking begins, for about 3 days, that's as far as the HDB permit allows. Then plastering, then electrical works. after that laying of my kitchen tiles up to the wall including toilet floor and wall tiles too. after that, fabrication of my kitchen cabinet. calling the PUB to check on the gas pipes and HDB to check on the waste pipes etc etc.

I remember the last part is the laminate flooring. very fast, 1 day and its done.

Gosh! Am really at STRESS.. time is so pressing.. and yet HDB 'mang mang lai 慢吞吞"..

Here's the update..

1) Once got the key, we quickly go to the unit and check the new house, within 3 days we submit to HDB for the process of rectify the house.

2) HDB does call up within 3 days after I submit the form. But shared that need time to coordinate.

3) I pester them to have a joint inspection thinking of cutting short of their so call checking, coordinate or processing time..

4) 1 week later got the joint inspection date.. scheduling the following week.

5) After joint inspection, shared that they need 4 weeks to finish the rectification work.. almost fainted..

I pester the officer sharing we really need to do it asap any earlier date to complete.. he shared it's 10yrs house so much to rectify.. want to do the job properly does need so much of work effort n duration.. for rush work may not provide quality delivery..

Then next I ask when can start work? Was told worker on leave wait for next week..

I ask can do my reno in parallel? HDB officer said 'No, better not.Anything wrong, no guarantee..'

6) manage to talk to worker on following week Tue, was told need 3 to 4 days to hack the wall and floor tiles.. and also give me an impression that they start work on Wed ..

On Fri, then I realised worker havent even start work!!

Time is clicking loud..

What am I suppose to do ?!??? :bangwall:

Wah, when u bought your house is it through agent? my agent helped me to do everything. After inspection of the house, you should immediately tell the agent and the sellers agent for any defects. anyway, how can the defects needs 4 wks????? and the HDB officer, you should also pester him or her, and let them be fed up, so that he/she can call and scold the seller. You ask the seller, if u need so much time to do, then i need to stay at 'hotel' i send the bill to you okie? since i got no place to stay!!!!!

Use this method!

Wah, when u bought your house is it through agent? my agent helped me to do everything. After inspection of the house, you should immediately tell the agent and the sellers agent for any defects. anyway, how can the defects needs 4 wks????? and the HDB officer, you should also pester him or her, and let them be fed up, so that he/she can call and scold the seller. You ask the seller, if u need so much time to do, then i need to stay at 'hotel' i send the bill to you okie? since i got no place to stay!!!!!

Use this method!

Hi Pinklady,

If I am not wrong, Doremon bought her house from HDB direct. Her seller = HDB. Hence, she's waiting for HDB to retify those defects.

checking in checking in! :)

ref. kitchen solid surface top, i haven't gone to that extent of test-scratching the samples.

do the ID/contractor really allow u to do that ah..?

what if everyone went to scratch abit, then there won't be much left of a sample ya? :D

and for the lights, our ID recommended that we buy our lights from 3 shops.

he did tell us that the price might not be as competitive, but the up-side is, if we get any of our lights from these 3 shops, he would take care of everything. e.g. if stuff are delivered broken, etc., quality and delivery issues.

if we bought from elsewhere, then we'd have to nego/liaise for the returns and deliveries of the replacements with the shops by ourselves.

Hi firehorse,

I also not sure if the ID/contractor allows that or not.. the pointers I put there is for my reference as it's to consolidate and summarise some pointers after reading tons others Renotalk Tblog.

By the way, Renotalk is really having the wealth of info, .. really times need to dig n read alot inorder to digest,gather the relevant info..sometimes the info also quite conflicting.. so fearing that I may forget or confuse or lost after reading so many, I think I should put up here as pointers summary form to remind myself or for others. To have place to read to get the pointers a quick.. but it's very subjective to whether if circumstances allow and relevance to the specific requirement .. : )

It's also a platform to facilitate bouncing/exchange of ideas, discussion and sharings ; )

Regards.

Doremon2009

Edited by doremon2009

Good Morning Doremon,

I just read that you only got 3 weeks to do up the reno. Are you able to negotiate the Handover date with your buyer? I think 3 weeks are really tight, esp. since you still got wetworks to do.

Have you engaged your renovator already? Do put through to him that you only have 3weeks for him to complete the list of renovation items.

For us, the laying of aircon gas pipe was done together with the installation of the aircons. And wiring need to be done before the aircon installation so that the aircon can be tested after the installation. My electrician fixed up the 15amp socket for the aircon first so that we can test our aircon.

Im not sure if you are doing conceal electrical points. For us, our plastering come before rewiring so that all the walls are smooth out before the casing/trunking are nailed on the walls.

Cant remember our exact reno schedule, it should be something like this:

1. Hacking

2. Tiling (for toilets & kitchen: wall tiles first, followed by waterproofing, then they will lay those big water pipes, then floor tiles)

3. Constructing of hollow block walls

4. Plastering

5. Plumbering (installation of basins, w.c., shower set etc)

6. Painting

7. Rewiring

8. Aircon installation

9. Carpentry

10. Installation of granite top

11. Plumbering for the kitchen sink

12. Installation of lights

13. Painting touchup

14. Retification works

Dear Rasp,

Thanks for your sharings ; )

Seems long list to do and take note..

Negotiate??

Original plan suppose to have enough time to do reno properly and nicely..even have it to cater for after reno rectification.

Haiz! What to do when bump into irresponsible/crafty ppl where at first impression is good but then discover that it's just fake at the later stage when it's too late to turn back?

Don't wish to talk about it as still quite mad about the whole saga.. quite drama like the HK series.. that's is very tiring and frustrating to fight about it..rather prefer to channel the energy to do constructive things now.

Know it's abit mission impossible but will do my best first to achieve and make the impossible to possible..

If really really still cannot then think I will take the option to go to court to settle the matter and let the judge decide.

For the reno matters, may need to ping you for more advise in time of need ; )

Regards,

Doremon2009

doremon, okay for parquet, more extra care should be given, compared to laminates. althou laminates also a bit mafan (troublesome). Emm, actually when u sign on the dotted line for payment, its stated clearly there. like before beginning of reno, u have to pay a certain percentage to cover costs for buying of tiles etc etc. As far as i remember, its confirmed Step 1, hacking begins, for about 3 days, that's as far as the HDB permit allows. Then plastering, then electrical works. after that laying of my kitchen tiles up to the wall including toilet floor and wall tiles too. after that, fabrication of my kitchen cabinet. calling the PUB to check on the gas pipes and HDB to check on the waste pipes etc etc.

I remember the last part is the laminate flooring. very fast, 1 day and its done.

Hi,

I receive conflicting information and really need advises here..

If I chose to have homogenous tiles for dining/living flooring and wooden flooring(be it laminate or parquet) for the bedrooms:-

The renovator told me that

1) Cement screed can only do after all the homogenous tiles and chemical wash are done.

2) Cement screed then can level to near certain height of homogenous tiles flooring and it takes long time to dry up.

3) After Cement screed dry up then can lay the wooden flooring to level the height of homogenous tiles .

The renovator emphasis that HDB will not allow the Cement screed to carry out if homogenous tiles have not done.(hmm sound strange for this line)

4) Even if cement screed done before homogenous tiles also no use, renovator has to hack it and redo as it'll not match the height and do level for the rest of homogenous tiles flooring..

So the renovator cautious me that I need to wait very long to queue for HDB Cement screed.So impossible to finish in time to meet my dateline.

Thus, I may need to do the whole house homogenous tiles to rush for dateline. Or I pay renovator to do the Cement Screed.

Today I went to HDB officer and check, the reply is

1) I just need to inform HDB which area to do Cement screed.

2) HDB don't need to wait till my other part of house for all the homogenous tiles and chemical wash are done.

3) HDB shared renovator can only come in after HDB rectification and Cement Screed done up..otherwise anything wrong on the work done by HDB worker will not be warrant/guarantee..ie HDB will not rectify further if the rectification is not to the satisfactory.

So kind of confuse which is correct way/sequence leh? Seems to me HDB sound more correct.

Can share and advise ?

Edited by doremon2009

Use this method!

Hi Pinklady,

I don't have enough $ to buy resale..it's purchase direct from HDB via balloting mode.

This house I bought was built >10yrs ago and unsold, then release to market to us.

So HDB needs to rectify those defects in the unit.

Therefore, not sure what method to use to chase HDB to pace up..

Edited by doremon2009

Hi Pinklady,

If I am not wrong, Doremon bought her house from HDB direct. Her seller = HDB. Hence, she's waiting for HDB to retify those defects.

Wow! Rasp very sharp leh. ; ) Impress : )

Dear Rasp,

Thanks for your sharings ; )

Seems long list to do and take note..

Negotiate??

Original plan suppose to have enough time to do reno properly and nicely..even have it to cater for after reno rectification.

Haiz! What to do when bump into irresponsible/crafty ppl where at first impression is good but then discover that it's just fake at the later stage when it's too late to turn back?

Don't wish to talk about it as still quite mad about the whole saga.. quite drama like the HK series.. that's is very tiring and frustrating to fight about it..rather prefer to channel the energy to do constructive things now.

Know it's abit mission impossible but will do my best first to achieve and make the impossible to possible..

If really really still cannot then think I will take the option to go to court to settle the matter and let the judge decide.

For the reno matters, may need to ping you for more advise in time of need ; )

Regards,

Doremon2009

Hi Doremon2009,

Er... seems like some sage you have with your renovator. If they are still ok to work with, maybe try to focus on moving forward. Otherwise, you might want to cut the losses and look for another one. You are right, there's alot of info at RT but need alot of digging and reading. Hee..

By the way, I didnt do any homogenous / wooden flooring for living/bedrms, cant help you on it. Hope someone can share their experience with you. :)

Hi Doremon2009,

Er... seems like some sage you have with your renovator. If they are still ok to work with, maybe try to focus on moving forward. Otherwise, you might want to cut the losses and look for another one. You are right, there's alot of info at RT but need alot of digging and reading. Hee..

By the way, I didnt do any homogenous / wooden flooring for living/bedrms, cant help you on it. Hope someone can share their experience with you. :)

Hi Rasp,

Oops u've mistaken! It's the saga with agent n buyer of our old house..

Thus need to get the new house done asap so that we can release the old house.

Renovation of new house have not start yet..

Edited by doremon2009

Hi,

I receive conflicting information and really need advises here..

If I chose to have homogenous tiles for dining/living flooring and wooden flooring(be it laminate or parquet) for the bedrooms:-

The renovator told me that

1) Cement screed can only do after all the homogenous tiles and chemical wash are done.

2) Cement screed then can level to near certain height of homogenous tiles flooring and it takes long time to dry up.

3) After Cement screed dry up then can lay the wooden flooring to level the height of homogenous tiles .

The renovator emphasis that HDB will not allow the Cement screed to carry out if homogenous tiles have not done.(hmm sound strange for this line)

4) Even if cement screed done before homogenous tiles also no use, renovator has to hack it and redo as it'll not match the height and do level for the rest of homogenous tiles flooring..

So the renovator cautious me that I need to wait very long to queue for HDB Cement screed.So impossible to finish in time to meet my dateline.

Thus, I may need to do the whole house homogenous tiles to rush for dateline. Or I pay renovator to do the Cement Screed.

Today I went to HDB officer and check, the reply is

1) I just need to inform HDB which area to do Cement screed.

2) HDB don't need to wait till my other part of house for all the homogenous tiles and chemical wash are done.

3) HDB shared renovator can only come in after HDB rectification and Cement Screed done up..otherwise anything wrong on the work done by HDB worker will not be warrant/guarantee..ie HDB will not rectify further if the rectification is not to the satisfactory.

So kind of confuse which is correct way/sequence leh? Seems to me HDB sound more correct.

Can share and advise ?

HDB is definitely right especially on point 3. HDB engage external contractors to do cement screed and the list of rectification u requested. And yes, renovator should not come in until all rectification is done to your satisfaction. Which mean... perhaps, you should tell your contractor or ID he/she will be liable if any damage is done to the cement screed and rectification which was done by HDB?

Your renovator is right on the long waiting list.. But really depends...perhaps, u can check with HDB on that and get a date/time? Hmm..can't advise u on part 1 and 2...

-> This is based on my own asumption, the levelling will only be a issue if you are overlaying tiles? If you are hacking and then laying the tiles...hmm..doesn't seems to be a problem.

HDB is definitely right especially on point 3. HDB engage external contractors to do cement screed and the list of rectification u requested. And yes, renovator should not come in until all rectification is done to your satisfaction. Which mean... perhaps, you should tell your contractor or ID he/she will be liable if any damage is done to the cement screed and rectification which was done by HDB?

Your renovator is right on the long waiting list.. But really depends...perhaps, u can check with HDB on that and get a date/time? Hmm..can't advise u on part 1 and 2...

-> This is based on my own asumption, the levelling will only be a issue if you are overlaying tiles? If you are hacking and then laying the tiles...hmm..doesn't seems to be a problem.

Hi red_devil,

My new house flooring are 'raw' meaning it's not done at all..except the service balcony, common toilet and master toilet. That means there will be no overlaying of tiles. : )

So does that means that levelling should not be an issue if cement screed done first?

This is the Balcony Overview.

New unit direct from HDB. Built >10yrs ago. Whole block seems like there are still units unsold.

Not sure if HDB also release those in the market for balloting..

Note that the flooring is 'raw'.

There are 2 pics of others how they do the balcony ie window, grill, iron wrought..

I find the iron wrought open concept seems better.

Any other options?? hmm.. ideas and advise are welcome ; )

newhsebalconyoverall.jpg

Edited by doremon2009