Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gantan88

My 3ng - Starting My Life Anew

I have another question. How much is it to install the piped gas from government? Current the previous owner is using "tank" style. I feel that it is very dangerous leh, easily explode.....

Kitchen-StoveBasin.jpg

Edited by gantan88

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I have another question. How much is it to install the piped gas from government? Current the previous owner is using "tank" style. I feel that it is very dangerous leh, easily explode.....

Kitchen-StoveBasin.jpg

you'll need to check with citygas if ur block have piped gas available. if not u can only settle with LPG or induction cooker.. :o

u can reach citygas @ 1800 555 1661 to check with them.. hope it helps.. =)

mine is old Tampines 3rm with no piped gas available.. no choice have to settle with LPG. now still in midst of reno.

As Natgw said, first thing is to check with Citygas if there's piped gas running for your block. Some blocks in certain estates do not have piped gas, even though others may have.

The Citigas prices are roughly $60 for setting up gas pipe and running the tube to the cooking area. Another $120 is chargeable if you need to change the piping.

So does that mean using LPG is cheaper? cos no setup cost...

But the tank is so big, waste cabinet space for the tank....

How much is it for one tank of LPG?

LPG is more expensive than piped gas over the long term.

Piped gas means you need to run it into your house, which some people are worried about leaks.

Personally, I will be using induction so no worries :)

Hi Gantan88,

For us, we didnt have the option of government piped gas cause our block doesn't have it. If given a choice, we will definitely go for piped gas because of the below reasons:

1) I am worried about gas leakage due to improper connection/handling of the LPG,

2) Run the risk of no gas during cooking,

3) Need to ring up the LPG supplier regularly to change if the LPG run low/out of gas,

4) LPG takes up cabinet spaces.

Do check with citigas first. :)

[ossify] My mum will be doing most of the cooking, tradditionally there is a need to adjust the fire big/small during cooking, and i dunno how an induction cooker is going to do that. But an induction cooker looks really cool hehe.. anyway i have just called up citygas, and yes! my block has the piped gas supply, and it cost $220 to run the pipe in :-S

[rasp] yr reasons below is valid, the worst that can happen is no gas when you are cooking halfway. I enjoyed the convenience of piped gas for past 2 houses. But during the early years when i am still very young, we are also using LPG before citygas comes about. Still can remember the uncle carrying the tank on his shoulder and come to our place...

Hello everyone,

As the width of my living room is rather small (according to layout about 3200mm), i find that after putting the sofa, coffee table and with the Tv console protruding out from the wall (about 500mm), there isn't much walking space left.

So i thought of putting the TV console to one corner of the room (maybe integrate with shoe rack) while i wall-mount my Tv.

But by doing so i need to pre-lay certain cables (video and audios, HDMI etc) which i am not familiar with.

Can anyone advise what are the necessary cables that i need to pre-lay?

Hello everyone,

As the width of my living room is rather small (according to layout about 3200mm), i find that after putting the sofa, coffee table and with the Tv console protruding out from the wall (about 500mm), there isn't much walking space left.

So i thought of putting the TV console to one corner of the room (maybe integrate with shoe rack) while i wall-mount my Tv.

But by doing so i need to pre-lay certain cables (video and audios, HDMI etc) which i am not familiar with.

Are you putting yr hi fi equipments directly below the Tv? If yes, no need to prelay the cables, just let yr carpenter knows that you intend to conceal the cabling. If no, then you need to plan what sort of hi fi equipements that you have in mind to do the setup, before we can advise you.

Hello everyone,

Usually no need to lay video and HDMI cables cos' they can still be concealed within the cabinet after fitting the equipment. But if you're running a surround audio system with multiple speakers and/or a non-wireless woofer, you'd need to pre-plan the speaker positions and run the wires inside the false ceiling beforehand if you want a clean look.

Other cables you may wanna consider beforehand to minimise trunking are things like phone and LAN points and Mio/SCV points.

why not redo the whole wiring?i think regarding the width maybe u can see guy77 t-blog.

its true that its a bit too near to watch tv this way.

Glance thru guy77 t-blog this morning before i hurry off for work. Too many pages. Need time to briefly go thru it again, his also 3rm yah?

I think i can only go for a 32 inch LCD Tv. But i really want a bigger size LCD Tv leh... :-(

Are you putting yr hi fi equipments directly below the Tv? If yes, no need to prelay the cables, just let yr carpenter knows that you intend to conceal the cabling. If no, then you need to plan what sort of hi fi equipements that you have in mind to do the setup, before we can advise you.

Actually i am not really a hi-fi person. At most what i will get are those that we commonly find in Harvey Norman or Best Denki, where we have the DVD player, DVD recorder, and whatever woofer or amplifer that comes with it, and some brands got 2 floor standing speakers (left and right) -- all in a set.

a. If this is the case, what cables we possibly will need?

b. Also, will there be a problem next time if any of the cables spoil and we need to activate the contractor down again (pay $$) to lay new cables because now the cables are running above ceilings and L-box?

c. Maybe i need to purchase own cables because the distance run from the TV console to the wall-mount Tv is too long? (default cable not long enough). My contractor told me cable like HDMI not easy to buy if i need a long one.

Usually no need to lay video and HDMI cables cos' they can still be concealed within the cabinet after fitting the equipment. But if you're running a surround audio system with multiple speakers and/or a non-wireless woofer, you'd need to pre-plan the speaker positions and run the wires inside the false ceiling beforehand if you want a clean look.

Other cables you may wanna consider beforehand to minimise trunking are things like phone and LAN points and Mio/SCV points.

Hi Adrian,

What i mean over here is that the Tv console will be away from the Tv, most likely at one corner of the living room. so need to get the contractors to pre-lay the cables right? Cos the cables will be running above false ceiling or L-Box. That include audio and video cable?

Yes, i am considering LAN point as well, but the surface run (the points where you drop down from the L-box) trunking is ugly...

Still got mio and scv cables, all this i not familiar leh... :-S

Hi Adrian,

What i mean over here is that the Tv console will be away from the Tv, most likely at one corner of the living room. so need to get the contractors to pre-lay the cables right? Cos the cables will be running above false ceiling or L-Box. That include audio and video cable?

Yes, i am considering LAN point as well, but the surface run (the points where you drop down from the L-box) trunking is ugly...

Still got mio and scv cables, all this i not familiar leh... :-S

Gantan: Sorry, didn't really quite understand what you meant by TV console being away from TV. Did you mean TV console away from current TV point location? If that's the case, you can get the electrician to do some re-wiring to suit the layout you've planned. That way, all the required points (e.g. TV/SCV/Mio/Phone) will be closer or exactly where you place the console. In some cases, you can even use the console to mask the trunking and have the points inside the console as well. The audio and video cable connected to the TV should then be able to run through some holes in the console.

I know what you mean about the drop down trunking. Even in a house with concealed wiring, we also could not avoid some instances of these due to shifting of TV and power point locations. Only way is to minimise and run along recessed beams or along floor skirtings.

The 2nd layout provided by Rondy looks quite good. :)

Elevation plan.

pp-4.jpg

pp-3.jpg

pp-2.jpg

hey Rondy,

Your drawings look very nice. You still do elevation plan. :good:

Hi Gantan88,

For the drop down of the casing from L-box/ ceiling, what we did was.. all the 'drop-down' are behind the doors/ at the corner of the room (not very visible) and the casing will run above the skirting to the 'right' location. In our opinions, the casing/ trunking are not really visible in our rooms (meaning we don't see the casing when we step into the room, esp. after the furnitures are placed). :)