Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yuene

Haus Of Yuene

I've been hanging around here for quite a while, just observing and trying to gather info for my renovation in April. Thank you to all who have responded to my PMs asking for contacts (such as Rondy, pinklady, JupiterHome and others). At any rate, I'm starting my T-blog, but it won't be very active at this point, because I'm still saving up for the renovation, and as such, the only thing I can do right now is plan! Even that is more or less done, and I have a pretty good idea of what my home is going to look like once it's done.

Just a little bit of a background:

My husband and I bought our home back in end-2006 (in fact, this month marks the 3rd year of our ownership of the flat), just a little before the HDB resale market went bonkers. It's a 3.5 room in Clementi, and when we bought it, it was in a liveable condition except the toilets. We did a quick renovation of that (overlaid the tiles, replaced the sanitaryware)--not a pleasant experience, really, partially because we were naive and new to the reno process, and perhaps our expectations were a little high; and partially because the contractor was a rip-off (something we found out too late from the forums). Whatever it is, we moved in and have been living there for the past 2.5 years or so. For a while we had a tenant, but she's moved out now.

The current house layout isn't very ideal for our usage, which is what prompted me to start thinking about doing a proper renovation. So 1 year of planning, reading up and drawing (and re-drawing!) later, I've come up with a final draft of my home!

First, my current house floor plan:

floorplan2.jpg

And what I intend to have it look like after the renovation:

3room.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

woah. i'm envious you did not have to buy at current crazy prices.

when will you be starting your renovation?

floorplan2.jpg

Hihi!yuene,

welcome to renotalk,

i love ur home layout.

ur 3rm look very big size leh!

how many sqm?

any be4 photos to show?^^

Edited by jesslyntan

woah. i'm envious you did not have to buy at current crazy prices.

when will you be starting your renovation?

Yup, I'm quite glad for that as well. Back then I didn't understand why my husband kept saying we had to buy a house asap (especially as I was still studying) but now on hindsight, he was right.

My reno starts in April 2010.

Wishing you a smooth and pleasant reno experience this time round! Show us pics of ur place bah. :D

Thanks! Pics of my place will come at a slightly later date!

Hihi!yuene,

welcome to renotalk,

i love ur home layout.

ur 3rm look very big size leh!

how many sqm?

any be4 photos to show?^^

Hi jesslyn, it's 81 sqm.

Yup, I'm quite glad for that as well. Back then I didn't understand why my husband kept saying we had to buy a house asap (especially as I was still studying) but now on hindsight, he was right.

My reno starts in April 2010.

Thanks! Pics of my place will come at a slightly later date!

Hi jesslyn, it's 81 sqm.

Welcome to renotalk .

Wow 81 sqm is big (some 4 room having only 90ssm nowaday).

It's really a good deal to buy flat 3 yrs back . Dun think the price will come down so soon....

Welcome to RT!

Your home is similar to mine, maybe can share some tips. My reno will start in early Dec.

hi, my place is quite similar to yours.

is that space behind your wardrobe a storeroom? if yes, wun it be troublesome get your stuffs? have to walk a long way.

also where is your tv?

Welcome to renotalk .

Wow 81 sqm is big (some 4 room having only 90ssm nowaday).

It's really a good deal to buy flat 3 yrs back . Dun think the price will come down so soon....

Hi Yuene! a flat in Clementi nowadays will cost a bomb! congrats on buying it earlier so that you dun have to pay exhorbitant prices

Welcome to RT!

Your home is similar to mine, maybe can share some tips. My reno will start in early Dec.

Nice, love the way u design yr place. Cant wait to see the real thing.

hi, my place is quite similar to yours.

is that space behind your wardrobe a storeroom? if yes, wun it be troublesome get your stuffs? have to walk a long way.

also where is your tv?

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Simon: It's actually quite big on the inside, though every time I pass under my house on my way home, I just have to wonder how I manage to live in such a narrow space. Even with my tenant, it was still quite roomy, with my 2 cats (now 3). I'm not sure what's going to happen when I add in 2 kids though! My current plan is only good until they start to hit their teens. Ah well, I'll think about that when the time comes!

Pinklady: Ya! Gosh... my colleague stays in the same block and same floor (though different stairwells, so we don't see each other) and she bought hers for almost $20K more than mine... o_O I think the prices are INSANE these days, and HDB can't be bothered to regulate liao... I just received a letter from HDB about my loan repayment and I felt mildly depressed looking at how many more years I'm going to be paying it off.

Ossify: Sure! ^^

blackcar: Haha! Thanks. You should see the number of designs I'd gone through up till now. Draw, look at it, think think think, in the end find that it's not what I want/decided it's not practical and then throw away. :jawdrop: My hb also confused as to which is the right one now... AAHHAHAHAHAHHA :P

alamak: Your place also 3NG? 3NG layout is quite nice. With regards to the store room, I did consider locating the door either at the living room area, or the other room, but in the end decided against it, as it would mean 1) even more hacking than I'm already doing, 2) I'll have 3 doors facing my living and dining room, and 3) from my current usage of my store room (in the corner of my spare bedroom next to the window), I find that I often put things inside there, and hardly touch them later (like my Christmas tree...) Most of the stuff that I use are placed in the kitchen, so I'll be making use of full height cabinets to store the most commonly used big items there. Then the items that my hb wants to keep (like his toy model kit boxes...kns take up so much space :furious:) will be put inside there.

As for the TV... hee actually we don't watch TV. Often when I get home, it's 12am and I'd rather just conk out. Or I'd rather read. My hb plays computer games or does his model kits or reads, so yeah... my current TV screen is being used as a hugeass monitor for my PC! hee hee hee

I've been hanging around here for quite a while, just observing and trying to gather info for my renovation in April. Thank you to all who have responded to my PMs asking for contacts (such as Rondy, pinklady, JupiterHome and others). At any rate, I'm starting my T-blog, but it won't be very active at this point, because I'm still saving up for the renovation, and as such, the only thing I can do right now is plan! Even that is more or less done, and I have a pretty good idea of what my home is going to look like once it's done.

floorplan2.jpg

Hi Yuene,

Welcome!! Seems like you have done alot of planning already.

I noticed that there is no storeroom in your original floorplan. Did you remove it? I think for most 3room flat, there is a beam that cut across the centre of the house (usually inside one of the wall of the store). You might want to take note of that beam by planning it to be on top of a sliding door etc to hide it off. Im not sure if you're into fengshui, cause fs will try to avoid the beam above the bed, dining table, sofa etc. :)

Hi Yuene,

Welcome!! Seems like you have done alot of planning already.

I noticed that there is no storeroom in your original floorplan. Did you remove it? I think for most 3room flat, there is a beam that cut across the centre of the house (usually inside one of the wall of the store). You might want to take note of that beam by planning it to be on top of a sliding door etc to hide it off. Im not sure if you're into fengshui, cause fs will try to avoid the beam above the bed, dining table, sofa etc. :)

Hi Rasp,

Actually, there was a store room in the floor plan, but the previous owners removed it, so for my planning purposes, I also digitally removed it from the image file as well (art reflects life!) I don't have a beam running across my ceiling of my room, as far as I can tell. Then again, I'm not a believer in feng shui, so it doesn't matter to me except in terms of aesthetics, I guess. I will find out when the hacking starts, though!

Anyway, some pictures of my place:

My kitchen (ignore the mess please!):

IMG_7437.jpg

The master bedroom:

IMG_7443.jpg

My bathroom (with all the awful pipings running all over the place):

IMG_7449.jpg

More pipings:

IMG_7450.jpg

And, of course, the random 'artistic' shot:

IMG_7460.jpg

Hi Rasp,

Actually, there was a store room in the floor plan, but the previous owners removed it, so for my planning purposes, I also digitally removed it from the image file as well (art reflects life!) I don't have a beam running across my ceiling of my room, as far as I can tell. Then again, I'm not a believer in feng shui, so it doesn't matter to me except in terms of aesthetics, I guess. I will find out when the hacking starts, though!

Anyway, some pictures of my place:

My kitchen (ignore the mess please!):

IMG_7437.jpg

Hi Yuene,

I see i see. From your kitchen pic, I guess your house don't have any beam running across. :D

Your previous owner seems to have hacked alot of stuff, e.g. the wall between the kitchen and living. Hee.. can help you save abit of hacking cost and waiting time for permit approval. :)

Hi Yuene,

I see i see. From your kitchen pic, I guess your house don't have any beam running across. :D

Your previous owner seems to have hacked alot of stuff, e.g. the wall between the kitchen and living. Hee.. can help you save abit of hacking cost and waiting time for permit approval. :)

Ya, man, I also say! But still got a little bit more hacking to do... I sure hope they don't say "cannot hack this! cannot hack that!" because it'll be back to the drawing board again if that's the case...