Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lihsin

Our Home At Tampines

hi SGK

as promised, tried to take some pics to show u my glossy white laminates.. but its a bit hard to see.. but like i said - dun see any unevenness as yet.. :D

with camera flash..

P1070044.jpg

can see from reflections, its quite smooth.. :P

P1070041.jpg

P1070039.jpg

hope this helps put ur fears aside.. :yamseng:

Hi butterfingerzz, thanks a lot! Your kitchen looks very very good. I always thought that light monochrome laminates will look boring and so I told my ID to design my kitchen cabinets similar to those of Supersimon's. But after seeing the pics at your T-blog, I was like 'wow, so nice, I like it!' Maybe for my next house I will use your kitchen as the reference :).

By the way, I read from fftw's t-blog that their ID is using 1.8mm laminates for their cabinets to minimise the wavy effects. Can I check if you use the 1mm type or the 1.8mm type?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi butterfingerzz, thanks a lot! Your kitchen looks very very good. I always thought that light monochrome laminates will look boring and so I told my ID to design my kitchen cabinets similar to those of Supersimon's. But after seeing the pics at your T-blog, I was like 'wow, so nice, I like it!' Maybe for my next house I will use your kitchen as the reference :).

By the way, I read from fftw's t-blog that their ID is using 1.8mm laminates for their cabinets to minimise the wavy effects. Can I check if you use the 1mm type or the 1.8mm type?

heh.. thanks.. er, not sure how thick the laminates are but it is either from lamitak or edl.. :P was choosing from so many tt i cant remember.. also ID didnt caution me abt the wavy effects so i guess she was pretty confident abt the brands.. :D

second appt coming up soon hor.. bet u cant wait.. :P

Edited by butterfingerzz

heh.. thanks.. er, not sure how thick the laminates are but it is either from lamitak or edl.. :P was choosing from so many tt i cant remember.. also ID didnt caution me abt the wavy effects so i guess she was pretty confident abt the brands.. :D

second appt coming up soon hor.. bet u cant wait.. :P

We are patiently waiting for the reno to start in about 3 weeks time :). So far, the reno budget keeps increasing :(, the latest being changing of the all windows. Initially, we did not want to change the windows because they are old but still working. But the owners messaged us to advise us to change them since they are as old as the flat - 16 years. So tonight we are going to the house again with our window contractor to take measurements. Another $3000+ i think :(.

We are patiently waiting for the reno to start in about 3 weeks time :). So far, the reno budget keeps increasing :(, the latest being changing of the all windows. Initially, we did not want to change the windows because they are old but still working. But the owners messaged us to advise us to change them since they are as old as the flat - 16 years. So tonight we are going to the house again with our window contractor to take measurements. Another $3000+ i think :(.

my windows also as old as ur flat leh.. abt 15yrs, we also didnt chg cos of budget.. :P

the windows jz has a lot of stains (dunno wat previous owner did) jz need to give them another good clean.. (soon) prob diy painting on the metal parts.. but so far its hiding behind our curtains n blinds so still ok.. :P our ID jz chg the glass part of the windows for the toilets n the balcony area cos she say too dirty to clean..lol

Edited by butterfingerzz

Hi butterfingerzz, thanks a lot! Your kitchen looks very very good. I always thought that light monochrome laminates will look boring and so I told my ID to design my kitchen cabinets similar to those of Supersimon's. But after seeing the pics at your T-blog, I was like 'wow, so nice, I like it!' Maybe for my next house I will use your kitchen as the reference :) .

actually, i think the wavyness from the laminates is only very visible if ure using 0.8mm and a very big piece of laminate.... like 8ft by 4ft...

if its 1mm on cabinet drawers/doors, shldnt be very obvious... cus the skill comes in when u have to stick evenly on a larger piece of area.... ;)

my windows also as old as ur flat leh.. abt 15yrs, we also didnt chg cos of budget.. :P

the windows jz has a lot of stains (dunno wat previous owner did) jz need to give them another good clean.. (soon) prob diy painting on the metal parts.. but so far its hiding behind our curtains n blinds so still ok.. :P our ID jz chg the glass part of the windows for the toilets n the balcony area cos she say too dirty to clean..lol

We just went to the house with the window contractor to take measurement. I think many windows are still in good condition. so we will only change the dining room and kitchen windows and install grilles. I think the top up should be about $1500 :).

actually, i think the wavyness from the laminates is only very visible if ure using 0.8mm and a very big piece of laminate.... like 8ft by 4ft...

if its 1mm on cabinet drawers/doors, shldnt be very obvious... cus the skill comes in when u have to stick evenly on a larger piece of area.... ;)

My ID says he has done glossy white laminates before and he says the result is quite acceptable to him. So I think I will still go for it :) .

This morning we saw on the newspaper advertisement of Gain City Expo show and decided to go down to look for cheaper electrical goods. We reached there at 5+ and headed straight toward the air-cons section. Why? Because when we bought our LG system 4 from their IMM branch 3 weeks ago, we have to pay $399 for the 5-year extended warranty. But now the advertisment says it is free. So we want to fight for our rights. Coincidentally, we saw the salesperson Benjamin who served us at IMM right away. I told him that we did not know that there will be an expo show and he told me he did not know of it 3 weeks ago too. But when he saw my slightly blackened face, he quickly retrieved my invoice from his file and told me that he will waive the $399. So our first mission is accomplished in less than 15 min :D.

We next went to shop for electrical goods. After 3.5 hours of shopping, we bought the following:

Ariston ARF105 Washing Machine:

ariston_arf_105.jpg

LG 42" 42LF20 LCD TV:

LG42lf20LCDTV.jpg

LG GRB207WVQ Refridgerator:

lg-refrigerator-GR-B207WVQ.png

So the big items are all bought :).

Edited by SGK

Nice fridge!!

I didn't change the windows for my place too, even though I would love to have all in white and clear glass but window prices seem exorbitant. Just changed the grilles instead.

This morning we saw on the newspaper advertisement of Gain City Expo show and decided to go down to look for cheaper electrical goods. We reached there at 5+ and headed straight toward the air-cons section. Why? Because when we bought our LG system 4 from their IMM branch 3 weeks ago, we have to pay $399 for the 5-year extended warranty. But now the advertisment says it is free. So we want to fight for our rights. Coincidentally, we saw the salesperson Benjamin who served us at IMM right away. I told him that we did not know that there will be an expo show and he told me he did not know of it 3 weeks ago too. But when he saw my slightly blackened face, he quickly retrieved my invoice from his file and told me that he will waive the $399. So our first mission is accomplished in less than 15 min :D.

We next went to shop for electrical goods. After 3.5 hours of shopping, we bought the following:

Ariston ARF105 Washing Machine:

ariston_arf_105.jpg

LG 42" 42LF20 LCD TV:

LG42lf20LCDTV.jpg

LG GRB207WVQ Refridgerator:

lg-refrigerator-GR-B207WVQ.png

So the big items are all bought :).

how much you bought the fridge and washing machine?

Nice fridge!!

I didn't change the windows for my place too, even though I would love to have all in white and clear glass but window prices seem exorbitant. Just changed the grilles instead.

Actually I am not sure if we have made the correct choice on fridge because initially we were looking for one with a capacity of about 300 to 400 litres since we are not likely to cook very much. But this fridge is much bigger. It has a capacity of more than 500 litres which means the power consumption is significantly higher. The reason why we bought it is because Gain City is selling it at a discounted price of $888 when the usual price for such a large fridge is more than $1000. So being typical Singaporeans, my wife and I cannot resist the seemingly good deal and decided to buy it. Now I am thinking whether we have made the correct choice :dunno: .

For windows, we get our own contractor (highly recommended in this forum) rather than our ID to do it because our ID's quote is very high, I think close to $6000 for installing the grilles and changing all the windows. The window contractor whom I engage is only charging $4225. Even my ID admitted that this price is very good. But I must also thank my ID for taking the initiative to remove the balcony windows and grilles that we have asked him to include in the renovation contract so that all the windows can now be done by the new contractor.

how much you bought the fridge and washing machine?

Washing Machine: $739

TV: $888

Fridge: $888 + 5 years extended warranty: $91

Actually I am not sure if we have made the correct choice on fridge because initially we were looking for one with a capacity of about 300 to 400 litres since we are not likely to cook very much. But this fridge is much bigger. It has a capacity of more than 500 litres which means the power consumption is significantly higher. The reason why we bought it is because Gain City is selling it at a discounted price of $888 when the usual price for such a large fridge is more than $1000. So being typical Singaporeans, my wife and I cannot resist the seemingly good deal and decided to buy it. Now I am thinking whether we have made the correct choice :dunno: .

Heh, I know. I'm also the kiasu type. We got an LG also at a discounted price but the smaller silver-ish model. But yours really look very nice.

For windows, we get our own contractor (highly recommended in this forum) rather than our ID to do it because our ID's quote is very high, I think close to $6000 for installing the grilles and changing all the windows. The window contractor whom I engage is only charging $4225. Even my ID admitted that this price is very good. But I must also thank my ID for taking the initiative to remove the balcony windows and grilles that we have asked him to include in the renovation contract so that all the windows can now be done by the new contractor.

Good price. Our contractor also quoted near $6k. We decided to change all grilles instead at $1000++

Today, we went to shop for our lights. Our first destination was Lightings.com.sg because it has very good reputation in this forum. Over there, we were served by a lady Noel. Frnakly speaking, I find her quite rude. First, she bluntly commented that the dining light that I wanted to buy is not nice when my wife showed preference for a more expensive one. Then when we were looking at the bathroom lights, she kept pushing us to buy some lights which I personally think don't look nice at all. When we asked her the power consumption of the energy saving lights we were looking at, she said that it will be higher than the normal ones because they are brighter. To me, this is illogical. If the light has to consume more power to give more light then it is not energy saving! Another disappointing thing about the shop is that they don't really have many designs. Most of the lights are the same as what we saw in our previous visit two months ago. Anyway we still bought most of our lights from the shop becasue of its supposedly honest pricing and good aftersales service. So here are the lights we bought:

Dining Room Light. Initially, I was looking at the cylindrical pendant light with bubbles. Then my wife spotted this one and I gave in to her:IMG_2075.jpg

Unfortunately, the photo cannot quite show the brilliant scattering of light by the surrounding glass rods

Our Balcony Light:

IMG_2076.jpg

A closed-up view of the Balcony Light:

IMG_2077.jpg

Bedroom 2 and 3 Lights:

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

They look similar except for the pattern at the edges.