Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Is it worth buying 40 yrs old unit. Built in 1970.

What are the chances of en-block?

Depends on many factors, but location is primarily the factor. Flats in the central region have been en bloc-ed like Redhill Queenstown and Toa Payoh. But there's old flats of the same generation that didn't get en-bloc-ed. For example, several blocks in Holland Drive have been en-bloc-ed but for some reason two old point blocks have been left standing among the recently completed new blocks.

Buy old unit, you also unsure whether to do it up nicely or not. Otherwise your $50k renovation lasts 2-5 years only, before it gets razed to the ground.

Another 10 years or so down the road, many singaporeans/PRs will ask this same question. Last yr just bought a 32-yr old pt block unit in Bedok North, near MRT. Before buying, my main concern was the one of the cpf rule that no cpf money usage for flat > 60year old. Look like I have to pass the TD to my children, instead of selling away before approaching 60 years - limited pool of buyers!

I asked HDB about the "possiblility" of en-block, reply was "no" at this moment. Stupid answer to stupid question indeed.

If you "MUST" buy this 40 yr old, be prepared to "pass it down" to yr next generation instead of selling it away. Don't think abt en-bloc, do a avg reno will do, even if you have cash, in my opinion.

If is is location than is worth buying...but if u think of en bloc den is big risk. i bought 3 room 35 yrs old flat 2 yrs ago with no lift or major upgrading done. was full of en loc potential till last yr hip and lup announced. luckily manged to sell away this year as i solely bought on sers hope. however still bought 28yrs 5 room flat coz of location again :) however downgraded from central area to west side. SIZE MATTERS.

Location wise I don't think very good... It's in the west far away from Lakeside Station Unit is renovated...move-in condition...

En-bloc or not my concern is re-selling. Plus with the current MOP of 3 years for resale flats.. I am concerned whether is it worth giving a thought.

if u think of about reselling definetly not worth buying for such a location u mentioned. most people buy old flats coz of good location (eg : Mrt,schools and amenities) therefore compromising the age of the flat. old plus ulu location is definetly not a selling point..cheers.

sorry juz curious based on yr description i guess its either boon lay place or taman jurong ( ho ching or yuan ching). if it is the latter is a good buy coz its very near to the lakeside developements( jurong lake distrcit) . very promising

Last year I bought a 3 rm 1969 flat in commonwealth. Factors impt (In this order) of to me are

1. Close to wife's sis - Who'll help us take care of baby as we're planning to have a kid.

2. Affordability - Would like to get a 4rm, but 4 rms in that area are simply too expensive.

3. MRT is 5-10 mins away

4. Amenities nearby

5. En-bloc potential

6. Rental Yield is good if ever I want to rent it out.

Note that enbloc is never certain even though the flat is old. If have, it'll be a bonus to me. If not, then will just carry onstaying there. Furhtermore, my block (and others) were upgraded about 10 yrs ago - added utility rm + lift. Some say those upgraded ones will not get enbloc.

So you have to ask yourself what your buying-factors are.

Agreed with wroomwroom- we just bought a close to 40 year old flat and EVERYTHING had to be hacked off and replaced. We are planning on staying long term. Most important for me is that the location cannot be beat for most older flats and whether or not en-bloc would be announced was not a factor in my purchasing decision :)

whats the project name? easier to advise

How about a 30 years flat walking distance less than 10mins in tampine ?

walking distance to? how about giving the distance in metres too cos different people walk at different speeds lol