Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Amy Choon

Fans Of Afc (asian Food Channel)

is there any difference with the 2 men standing and 1 man standing? I saw Isetan's newsletter. Henckels 1man brand - Active Grip 6pc Knife Block, UP: $298, now $88. (sale this friday). So i dunno the difference lehhh..

i thinking of joining cooking classes and baking classes too. heard robinsons got class too. will check them out after all these reno mayhem is over.

Don't get the knife block bah ... to many unused knives. Not useful.

If you're keen, you can go to sunrise academy. I have a friend who enrolled to such class.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

If you're keen, you can go to sunrise academy. I have a friend who enrolled to such class.

hmm interesting site.. wonder if they have classes for domestic helpers?

edit: yikes!!! leisure course is 2.4k!!

Edited by patsy_sg

the one man is the subline of 2 men lor... one man is JA Henckels Int'l and made in China, which is the value for money range and the 2 man one is Zwilling JA Henckels AG, which is the branded one... hehe.. did a search and found this info so share with you all.

i think the robinsons ones are all demo... i prefer hands-on classes lor.. if it's demo only, i rather save the money and watch cooking shows.

hm.. I cannot remember mine is 1 man or 2 men, but i GOT a feeling it is 2 men, as we got it pretty cheap for these type of knife. :P

I got 3 knives, the deboning knife, veg knife and meat knife (those look like shashimi knife type.). It is more than sufficient for all my meals. I do enjoy cooking so i tend to cook 3 to 4 days of the 7 days. The rest days are when my hubby goes for lessons and our agreed upon makan outside meals.

I dun mind demos if i got food to take back and eat. LOL! super yao kwei! :D

i agree! and it takes up space..

hm.. I cannot remember mine is 1 man or 2 men, but i GOT a feeling it is 2 men, as we got it pretty cheap for these type of knife. :P

I got 3 knives, the deboning knife, veg knife and meat knife (those look like shashimi knife type.). It is more than sufficient for all my meals. I do enjoy cooking so i tend to cook 3 to 4 days of the 7 days. The rest days are when my hubby goes for lessons and our agreed upon makan outside meals.

I dun mind demos if i got food to take back and eat. LOL! super yao kwei! :D

the cheap one should be 1 man leh.... but then again, maybe you bought your 2 men at a good sale?

you cook 3 - 4 days a week?? wow! kow tow to you lor.. are you working FT? if yes, then more kow tows to you.. !

hmmz, if you pay $40 for the demo, i rather you use the money to go for a good meal.. $40 can eat a good meal liao wor.... i even attended a demo cooking class, and it bores me to death....

i agree! and it takes up space..

the cheap one should be 1 man leh.... but then again, maybe you bought your 2 men at a good sale?

you cook 3 - 4 days a week?? wow! kow tow to you lor.. are you working FT? if yes, then more kow tows to you.. !

hmmz, if you pay $40 for the demo, i rather you use the money to go for a good meal.. $40 can eat a good meal liao wor.... i even attended a demo cooking class, and it bores me to death....

I know i bought my knives during robinson's sale, i go home and check bah.. skali also different brand, den i really pai seh. :P I remember going through the 1 man 2 men knives.

I am working full time yeah and usually reach home at 8pm and eat at around 8:30 to 9pm loh.. It is not too difficult to cook if u plan before hand. You just need to plan what to cook and prepare/marinate the items during weekends and separate them into different containers or plastic bags. I will take the frozen meats down to fridge section to defrost before going to work, so that when I reached home it is all nice and thawed. If my hubby comes home earlier than me he call me to see what I am planning to make. He will help me to boil the pork bones for soup or help to wash and cut the veg. When I am home I will continue from there.

Okie, i have not gone for any paid cooking demo. I only go for free ones LOL! :P

wow, i can't do it lor... tired to deal with the washing after that... i tried it once before, and was so dead by the end of the day, i told hubby it won't happen again.

wahaha, my hubby still waiting to see if i can carry out wat i said i want to do. japanese bento lunches for him! i'm, planning to buy this bento recipe book from amazon that teaches u how to provide well-portioned nutritious food which can fit into a bento box. :) he betting i cannot wake up early enough to prepare. we'll see!

wahaha, my hubby still waiting to see if i can carry out wat i said i want to do. japanese bento lunches for him! i'm, planning to buy this bento recipe book from amazon that teaches u how to provide well-portioned nutritious food which can fit into a bento box. :) he betting i cannot wake up early enough to prepare. we'll see!

hahaha...i did some bentos for hubby and did simple one for son's snack in school. am planning to do more for son next year when he goes Pri 1. Canteen food still cannot make it lah, there is tendency to get junk food.

I already bought some bento-making stuff from Daiso and is excited to do it though not often and definitely not now cos MIL place is too packed and I dun wan to add to it. :D

no need recipe book for bentos lah, do some simple nutritious food and top with fruits and cutie decor and u r ready to go.

u can check out some bento-making mamas who blog abt their bento and "steal" some of their ideas. I saw theirs and was inspired to do the same.

www.babieslz.blogspot.com

www.kinigu.blogspot.com

they are very nice ppl and open to sharing ideas. I am in contact with one of them though not very familiar.

I think i will only get 3 knives, 1 for fruits, 1 for meat and 1 for veg. My gal is the handicraft type, she likes to make things. Cos can see changes from original form to something new and diff.

Sam jie, i agree some canteen food are not so nutritious or they just buy the same food everyday. Like my gal, she buy coco krunch with milk at least 3 days a week. :D

Hw abt pots and pans? Do u all use non stick? That Chef @ Home said that those steel type (like WMF) is better than non stick.

I think i will only get 3 knives, 1 for fruits, 1 for meat and 1 for veg. My gal is the handicraft type, she likes to make things. Cos can see changes from original form to something new and diff.

Sam jie, i agree some canteen food are not so nutritious or they just buy the same food everyday. Like my gal, she buy coco krunch with milk at least 3 days a week. :D

Hw abt pots and pans? Do u all use non stick? That Chef @ Home said that those steel type (like WMF) is better than non stick.

Give some poison, can check the good range of knives from http://www.razorsharp.com.sg/Knife_Index.htm

For pots and pans, initially I used teflon but moved away from that since it might release unhealthy molecules.

Now, i'm using greenpan, the other variety of non-stick. I also have a stainlees steel plan.

For all to be non-stick, the key is the heat. You need to get the pan to the "correct" heat then you put the oil. By then, your pan would be non-stick.

How to get to correct heat? Get a water droplet dancing on ur pan. The water won't even evaporate. If it's not hot enough, the water won't be come like a "ball" or droplet shape. If it's too hot, the water would immediately evaporate. There's some URL abt this on the net (I can't find it anymore).

By saying so much, my favourite pan is still my cast iron pan :D

The best of the class and can pass it on to the next generations (that's how good the pan is)

ya lah, agree. if give my son a choice he will be eating hotdogs and eggs every single school day! :angry:

I got a set of 6 pcs WMF pots from my dear sis as a house warming gift.

Edited by samgalz

hey pinktini/samgalz,

bento food consist of rice and some dishes? won't it be too cold by the time they eat?

hi ngunadi,

you ah you.... always putting poison wherever you go leh... those Jap knives really look so swee lor.... *whistle*

actually what are the essential pots and pans? i'm thinking of getting a big stock pot, medium and small pot (maggi mee), big and medium non stick frying pan, frying wok (very important la, for chinese cooking) and a cast iron pot for casseroles... is it too many? kekeke.

did anyone watched ****'s kitchen on AFC last night?

hi ngunadi,

you ah you.... always putting poison wherever you go leh... those Jap knives really look so swee lor.... *whistle*

actually what are the essential pots and pans? i'm thinking of getting a big stock pot, medium and small pot (maggi mee), big and medium non stick frying pan, frying wok (very important la, for chinese cooking) and a cast iron pot for casseroles... is it too many? kekeke.

did anyone watched ****'s kitchen on AFC last night?

Hehe ... I am the chef of the house, so I usually keep myself updated :P

Which one is cast iron pot for casseroles? Is it the dutch oven?

For me, the essential pots and pans are similar to you lor. I like to go for minimalist kitchen so I make sure my utilities are versatile.

- Big stock pot (yet to buy cuz never have plan to have big party)

- Medium stock pot, got it for ard $50 from cold storage promo. It's 6L and can cook for 6-8 ppl portion?

- Small pot, for maggie mee, small portion. Got it for ard $30 from cold storage promo also.

- Chinese alumunium wok

- 1 stainless steel pan

- 1 green pan (actually 1 pan is enough)

- 1 cast iron

So, same as you and they are not many bah :D

Wishlist (Another poison):

- 1 cast-iron dutch oven. Thinking to get this one instead of claypot. My wife is craving to have mushcroom claypot rice which I think dutch oven also can do the job. But it's very expensive ... $200++ :(

L2SP3.jpg

- 1 Japanese Gyuto knife (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIVG-10.html)

Img125.jpg

- 1 good chopping board (preferably john boos one)

Can refer to this link for basic kitchen equipment

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/kitchen...f-basics-082461

Wow ... enough poison for the day

Anyone knows where to get good and cheap sashimi knife that don't "rust"

No knife that will not rust. That even includes stainless steel knife. You need to maintain the knife. Few rules for my knife:

- Always immediately wash it after use

- After wash it, immediately dry it.

- Never ever leave the knife in the sink, dish dryer, or water

If you want an affordable knife, u can go to chinatown, kitchen supplies (like sia huat).

Otherwise, go razorsharp.com.sg for a much better (and pricier) knife. or order online.