Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DavFong

Item Missing During Renovation

Hi All

I am new to this forum, hope to get some advises on an issue happened to my renovation project.

I engaged an ID to renovate my new 4-room HDB flat. Almost to the end of the renovation, a new LED TV of value $3k and other items were missing from the house. We (the ID and I) made a police report and since the house was still under the responsibility of the ID, I want him to compensate the monetary valve of missing items. The ID reluctantly agreed but said will only compensate after knowing the out-come of police investigation.

A few months have passed and the investigation is still pending (means ended without any result...). I contacted the ID for compensation. He was very irresponsible to ask me to claim my house insurance, avoiding me and even claim I may be the suspect of the case. I have tried log complains to CASE and even Hbay (the ID is one of Hbay’s preferred designer companies) but of not much help.

Any advice what else can I do to claim my lost?

On members' request to release irresponsible ID detail --> http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=550501

Regards

David

Edited by DavFong

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi All

I am new to this forum, hope to get some advises on an issue happened to my renovation project.

I engaged an ID to renovate my new 4-room HDB flat. Almost to the end of the renovation, a new LED TV of value $3k and other items were missing from the house. We (the ID and I) made a police report and since the house was still under the responsibility of the ID, I want him to compensate the monetary valve of missing items. The ID reluctantly agreed but said will only compensate after knowing the out-come of police investigation.

A few months have passed and the investigation is still pending (means ended without any result...). I contacted the ID for compensation. He was very irresponsible to ask me to claim my house insurance, avoiding me and even claim I may be the suspect of the case. I have tried log complains to CASE and even Hbay (the ID is one of Hbay's preferred designer companies) but of not much help.

Any advice what else can I do to claim my lost?

Regards

David

Sorry to hear this. Basically and unexpressly who has access to the key/s must be held responsible for the theft of items. And search/enquiry action has to be quick enough to be conducted within a day or two. If not, lost items got "legs" and get disappeared in the air and left no trace. Police/CASE wont help.

- Still holding any retaining sum payable to ID? Hold that amount & agree with ID the amount of compensation, draft that down, sign by both parties......

- Investigation by police will end at nowhere and will be treated as "suspended" for closing. ID is using time delay tactic, ask him pay now!

- To me, this is very likely a "gone case", buy toto/4d/shares, pray hard and hope to recover back the loss. - Sorry, i'm a layman, can only "think" of these. Frankly speaking, don't buy 4d/toto, otherwise, you'll lose more. Stocks still got >50% hope, if you do the homework properly.

Edited by bepgof

Sorry to hear this. Basically and unexpressly who has access to the key/s must be held responsible for the theft of items. And search/enquiry action has to be quick enough to be conducted within a day or two. If not, lost items got "legs" and get disappeared in the air and left no trace. Police/CASE wont help.

- Still holding any retaining sum payable to ID? Hold that amount & agree with ID the amount of compensation, draft that down, sign by both parties......

- Investigation by police will end at nowhere and will be treated as "suspended" for closing. ID is using time delay tactic, ask him pay now!

- To me, this is very likely a "gone case", buy toto/4d/shares, pray hard and hope to recover back the loss. - Sorry, i'm a layman, can only "think" of these. Frankly speaking, don't buy 4d/toto, otherwise, you'll lose more. Stocks still got >50% hope, if you do the homework properly.

wah ... jialact ah .... i think ID has got to be responsible .... cos it happened during the renovation period ... all those people that enter your premises is under the ID .... somemore ID most probably use number lock whereby his workers know the lock number as well ....

But if ID and CASE siam u..... then really 'LIAO'

In yours is a corridoor unit. Anything can happen. Forget to lock windows?

Bear in mind that both you and ID had access to the hse with keys.

Even, if its ID padlock, owner had access to the hse too.

My take is not to put expensive, portable stuff in the hse.

in this case, how you think we should manage delivery of items that is before completion of reno work?

If possible, get your ID to complete work for one bed room. This bed room will be used to store all your stuffs, make sure that u keep it locked.

As for me, i will choose to delay the delivery until work completion. Cos even with stuffs locked in a room, it can be broken and getting police to investigate takes a long time and even if able to catch the thieves u still lose parting your stuffs forever.

Edited by chronograph

Unfortunately the balance cannot cover the lost. Although I had access to the house but I was holding him accountable because of 3 reasons:

1) The project was not delivered on time. 1.5 months delay, main reason I cannot hold on to the installation further

2) I have requested ID to change the lock, this is not done.

3) I have told ID he must supervise the work because there were expensive items in the house.

I was really disappointed during the police report; the ID allowed 3 contractors access to my house and never supervises the work. Basically he did not know when and what happened until I check the house and found out the items was missing.

If possible, get your ID to complete work for one bed room. This bed room will be used to store all your stuffs, make sure that u keep it locked.

As for me, i will choose to delay the delivery until work completion. Cos even with stuffs locked in a room, it can be broken and getting police to investigate takes a long time and even if able to catch the thieves u still lose parting your stuffs forever.

I have actually locked some stuff in another room and keep the key to myself only. If not more valuable items will be missing.

I highly suspect this is insider job because there is no break in.

wah ... jialact ah .... i think ID has got to be responsible .... cos it happened during the renovation period ... all those people that enter your premises is under the ID .... somemore ID most probably use number lock whereby his workers know the lock number as well ....

But if ID and CASE siam u..... then really 'LIAO'

There is no question the ID should be 101% responsible. In actual fact, the $$ is not my main concerns. My fury was the ID’s double standard behavior and attitude. He was semi-professional and very responsive before the incident. This is the reason I have trusted him to my house because I always travel for business. After the incident, his attitude turns 360 degree and he was so irresponsible….

I am thinking to shame him in forums and also raise awareness in the public. Hopefully his potential customer will come across the thread and be more careful when using him.

There is no question the ID should be 101% responsible. In actual fact, the $$ is not my main concerns. My fury was the ID’s double standard behavior and attitude. He was semi-professional and very responsive before the incident. This is the reason I have trusted him to my house because I always travel for business. After the incident, his attitude turns 360 degree and he was so irresponsible….

I am thinking to shame him in forums and also raise awareness in the public. Hopefully his potential customer will come across the thread and be more careful when using him.

ya ...... would you mind to let us know who he is or where he is from ? curious la ...

in this case, how you think we should manage delivery of items that is before completion of reno work?

The answer to this question is not so straight-forward: use what the management calls "contingency approach" = it depends.

Depend on extend & progress of reno:

- Don't move any in, if possible. It depends...

- What need to be installed then install, eg, build-in oven, hod/hood, lighting,aircon,..

- Those you can install on you own -don't move in

- Spot checks...

Edited by bepgof

frankly u have to take responsibility for your own stuff.

Be there when there are works, especially when you have expensive stuff there.

ID is NOT 100% accountable. You also do not have any proof that he took it or any sub cons took it.

Everyone just simply deny, so what can u do? Check for eye witness to see if anyone was seen leaving with a TV? i doubt police man would even bother....

getting ID to pay 100% is ridiculous in my opinion. Its best not to shame him and see if he can give some goodwill discount. Shame him confirm get back $0, maybe he even give u lawyer letter!

(must also depend on how you "shame"...haha)

DavFong,

Have you tried lodging this case with the Small Claims Tribunal?

For claims up to $10k, you can get the small claims court to enforce the payout from the ID.

If it's the police that's not doing the job then having a notice from Small Claims will probably speed up the investigation.

Don't let the ID get away with this although I have to agree with others here that you're a little careless.

All the best!

Edited by istel