Sign in to follow this  
dexufto

We Live Love Laugh

retro black switch,

rewiring is a must, noticed there's even no trunking

IMG_2220.jpg

sink before the Shower;

Sink definiately to go.

Thought i could retain the slab of wall behind and continue with my extended dry area from

the shower, contractor shares that it's too thick; better to rebuild.

Hiaz more costs to add. :(

IMG_0026.jpg

Shower area;

notice the sewage pipe on left will pose an issue to the entrance to from the MBR :(

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

WC area;

IMG_0022.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
enough of talking, now for some visuals;

Mosaic Floor;

IMG_2221.jpg

I :wub: your mosaic tiles!!! So retro! Do you know that very few tilers can do the old fashioned mosaic flr now? It's too labour intensive.. My grandma still has these type of tiles in the toilet..

I :wub: your mosaic tiles!!! So retro! Do you know that very few tilers can do the old fashioned mosaic flr now? It's too labour intensive.. My grandma still has these type of tiles in the toilet..

it's not that few tilers can do it, it's just that few contractors want to do it :)

hey dexufto, finally get to see pics of the house!

you're lucky the pipes in the toilet don't need to be replaced, like curryqueen said. and those half-tiled walls in the kitchen and the lack of electrical trunking...reminds me of mine before reno lol. plus point = you got a sitting WC! save cost, no need to convert squat to sitting. and i like your gate! if fits into your theme, can save by not replacing it. just a fresh coat of paint will do.

your flooring - is there a drop at the kitchen entrance? cannot really see but looks to be one smooth plane.

just noticed the seller got so many cupboards in the living room... :o

Congras on your new home. TPY is very convenient and central. Look forward to see your reno.

Thanks leechaorui. But it would take a long while, ETC reno before 2011. heh

yes, yes, we were told that the very early tiles are more solid and durable. I have in the mind to preserve this mosaic for my kitchen to save money.

Probably to do a clean-up or eproxy paint job. However never did I realised that the spray paint will set me $900+ (from Faithcoat/ colourtrends paints) :(

Contractor advise me to over tiles (was told that 1 layer over the original tiles is acceptable) that would amount the same price..

Mosaic/ HT? :unsure:

Your toilet pipes are in better condition than mine! :D

Thanks curryqueen, we were blessed as the whole blk went through Main upgrade programe during feb 2000.

hence that somehow expains the condition of the pipes. I will retan the rear windows as well.

hey dexufto, finally get to see pics of the house!

you're lucky the pipes in the toilet don't need to be replaced, like curryqueen said. and those half-tiled walls in the kitchen and the lack of electrical trunking...reminds me of mine before reno lol. plus point = you got a sitting WC! save cost, no need to convert squat to sitting. and i like your gate! if fits into your theme, can save by not replacing it. just a fresh coat of paint will do.

your flooring - is there a drop at the kitchen entrance? cannot really see but looks to be one smooth plane.

just noticed the seller got so many cupboards in the living room... :o

yes yes. However I'm thinking of the modern/ minimal style of look. Hence the gate/ louvre window/ switch will be replaced.

Yes, there's a 76mm drop for the old school 'spalsh and wash' concept. Yes, I will make sure the owner removes his cupboards ;)

Best in Singapore and JB- the contractor story,

I started scouting for I/Ds and contractors in my early phase of shopping, this started some 2 months ago :D

Pior that I have some idea what kind of layout I was looking for. My inspiration came from those previous 50k COV homes whom

had done up their places like what the property ads called "A-decor", as well as our local mags, "Home&Decor &

Home-styles", various websites and not forgetting our Renotalk contributors.

With all this in mind, I managed to pieced up a conceptualised floorplan,

The major inclusion would be the combined WC/ shower room accessible via MBR with washbasin, a WIW in MBR, a concealed TV console

with HTS. An L-shaped kitchen cabinet with drawers systems, supporting basic cooking with baking requirements.

With the aid of www.floorplanner.com and our $5 floorplan purchased from HDB,I developed my 2-D drawing.

Eventually after 3 revision (mainly due to relocating our WIW in the already clamped bedroom, we ended with the (more or less) final

draft of the floorplan concept as shared.

With that, we proceeded to the different IDs and contractors for itemised quote, to get an apple-for-apple comparision. These included some

popular IDs that were recommended from the forumers;

1) Winston from NOVA tradehub

My very first encounter with contractor, don't have much expectation. He was honest to ask me look for my own plumber/ electrician as it will be

more costly to include into the list. Called for 2nd appointment after some changes in my floorplan (revision 2). Found that quotation were rather costly though.

2) Outlook Interior from IMM.

Was initially attracted by the blum system on display and the "promo package" that comes with free hob+hood+sink for the kitchen cabinet, I took

the bait. Shared my requirements and budget on the first meet, the ID shared that it is not possible to match but she can try. Eventually the quotation

overshot my budget by 40% where I waited an hour the the last minute work. Can tell that she wasn't very keen, probably thought that I was only fishing for

quote. Moved on.

3) Edmund from Adecordesign

A month passed w/o reply, despite subsequent email reminders. No response. Was about to moved on untill I decided to call again. Made an arrangement to

meet up the following day. Edmund was there on time and sincere, understooded our requirements and the followed up with a quote 3 days later as promised.

4) Henry from Impress21

He was responsive and quick to reply to the quotations I wanted.

5) Ronald from DesignerHouse

Also another responsive contractor, did mentioned about a weeks grace as he was busy at the moment. A week later he responded the following day with the

quote after one reminder. I'm impressed with this response and his quotation was close to our expectation. Certainly one of the cheapest contractor I've shortlisted.

6) Mr Yeak from basic Image

Like Edmund, there's no response in email after one month. Called several times but he shares that he's tight. Eventually he replied that he is unable to commit.

Moved on.

7) Henry from I.D Note

Another busy I.D, shared that He will be busy till end of the month to call back thereafter. I responded, eventually he pass my contact to his colleague Mr Goh.

Met up with Mr Goh in this office, eventually the infamous Henry also turn up with another client. Not very comfortable with Mr Goh (personal feel), He was nice though

quote turned up to be slightly costly (prehaps I had high expectation from some forumers). Moved on.

IMHO: As starters, do your homework and shortlist at least 3 contractors for quotation, preferrably with positive feedback. (do note that these feedback maybe

biasied though) Give them a chance; some contractors do not read their email (I saw my emails all unread from one of the IDs. Blah!),

Hence, a better option is to call them and meet up for quotation, tell them face to face your requirements/ budget. The experienced ones will tell you the face if

your idea is feasible and may recommend some suggestions.

My 2-cents worth. ;)

Edited by dexufto

Best in Singapore and JB- the contractor story,

I started scouting for I/Ds and contractors in my early phase of shopping, this started some 2 months ago :D

Pior that I have some idea what kind of layout I was looking for. My inspiration came from those previous 50k COV homes whom

had done up their places like what the property ads called "A-decor", as well as our local mags, "Home&Decor &

Home-styles", various websites and not forgetting our Renotalk contributors.

With all this in mind, I managed to pieced up a conceptualised floorplan,

The major inclusion would be the combined WC/ shower room accessible via MBR with washbasin, a WIW in MBR, a concealed TV console

with HTS. An L-shaped kitchen cabinet with drawers systems, supporting basic cooking with baking requirements.

With the aid of www.floorplanner.com and our $5 floorplan purchased from HDB,I developed my 2-D drawing.

Eventually after 3 revision (mainly due to relocating our WIW in the already clamped bedroom, we ended with the (more or less) final

draft of the floorplan concept as shared.

With that, we proceeded to the different IDs and contractors for itemised quote, to get an apple-for-apple comparision. These included some

popular IDs that were recommended from the forumers;

1) Winston from NOVA tradehub

My very first encounter with contractor, don't have much expectation. He was honest to ask me look for my own plumber/ electrician as it will be

more costly to include into the list. Called for 2nd appointment after some changes in my floorplan (revision 2). Found that quotation were rather costly though.

2) Outlook Interior from IMM.

Was initially attracted by the blum system on display and the "promo package" that comes with free hob+hood+sink for the kitchen cabinet, I took

the bait. Shared my requirements and budget on the first meet, the ID shared that it is not possible to match but she can try. Eventually the quotation

overshot my budget by 40% where I waited an hour the the last minute work. Can tell that she wasn't very keen, probably thought that I was only fishing for

quote. Moved on.

3) Edmund from Adecordesign

A month passed w/o reply, despite subsequent email reminders. No response. Was about to moved on untill I decided to call again. Made an arrangement to

meet up the following day. Edmund was there on time and sincere, understooded our requirements and the followed up with a quote 3 days later as promised.

4) Henry from Impress21

He was responsive and quick to reply to the quotations I wanted.

5) Ronald from DesignerHouse

Also another responsive contractor, did mentioned about a weeks grace as he was busy at the moment. A week later he responded the following day with the

quote after one reminder. I'm impressed with this response and his quotation was close to our expectation. Certainly one of the cheapest contractor I've shortlisted.

6) Mr Yeak from basic Image

Like Edmund, there's no response in email after one month. Called several times but he shares that he's tight. Eventually he replied that he is unable to commit.

Moved on.

7) Henry from I.D Note

Another busy I.D, shared that He will be busy till end of the month to call back thereafter. I responded, eventually he pass my contact to his colleague Mr Goh.

Met up with Mr Goh in this office, eventually the infamous Henry also turn up with another client. Not very comfortable with Mr Goh (personal feel), He was nice though

quote turned up to be slightly costly (prehaps I had high expectation from some forumers). Moved on.

IMHO: As starters, do your homework and shortlist at least 3 contractors for quotation, preferrably with positive feedback. (do note that these feedback maybe

biasied though) Give them a chance; some contractors do not read their email (I saw my emails all unread from one of the IDs. Blah!),

Hence, a better option is to call them and meet up for quotation, tell them face to face your requirements/ budget. The experienced ones will tell you the face if

your idea is feasible and may recommend some suggestions.

My 2-cents worth. ;)

Decided to visit yr blog after spotting yr reply in mine, and surprised to see Edmund is one of yr shortlisted. So what's the decision? Edmund said he had a job at TPY, happen to be yrs?

hope the id search is smooth for you eh.

seeing how this unit transform to a modern/ minimal look surely is exciting and somewhat i got a strong feeling is gonna be really nice.

hope my welcome msg ain't too late but hey, better late than never.

welcome to rt and yes, I can really relate well to a wedding and reno back to back. ha

Hello froggy & neo0mesis,

Nice of you to drop-by. It's been quite a while since I added any entry into this blog..

Yes, Edmund is handling bulk of my renovation projects, left the grills, laminates and wardrobe systems. :D

Everthing is good and underway, demolition permit is pending approval.

Expecting to start work after 10/10/10.

Decided to visit yr blog after spotting yr reply in mine, and surprised to see Edmund is one of yr shortlisted. So what's the decision? Edmund said he had a job at TPY, happen to be yrs?

hope the id search is smooth for you eh.

seeing how this unit transform to a modern/ minimal look surely is exciting and somewhat i got a strong feeling is gonna be really nice.

hope my welcome msg ain't too late but hey, better late than never.

welcome to rt and yes, I can really relate well to a wedding and reno back to back. ha

Nice of you to drop-by. It's been quite a while since I added any entry into this blog..

Yes, Edmund is handling bulk of my renovation projects, left the grills, laminates and wardrobe systems. :D

wah, 10-10-10... perfect tens... wishing u all the best in ur reno... :)

wow, congrats!

so yrs is his project after mine ...

do post more pix ...

Guest Goobii

wAh ~! super d a m n original...

mine also 3i+1 ... u can check out my T-blog and see the photo.... contact my ID if needed.

Edited by Goobii