Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kajua

Opennet Running Of Cable

Anyone has completed their running of the cable by OpenNet contractor?

My house after reno, the trunking from the door to the living all hidden behind my cornice, will OpenNet be able to run it using the trunking or are they gonna run a new trunking outside the trunking?

Also anyone knows if I want to run an additional point and pay for it will they do it for me?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

My house after reno, the trunking from the door to the living all hidden behind my cornice, will OpenNet be able to run it using the trunking or are they gonna run a new trunking outside the trunking?

Also anyone knows if I want to run an additional point and pay for it will they do it for me?

most prob they will have to fix a new trunking to run the cable.

1 point is enough for your house since according to opennet, the device provided by the ISPs should have 4 output ports. thus there is no need for you to have more than 1 point

Hi Kajua,

Long time no see. OpenNet will not run from your existing trunking. They will run it with their small trunking.

most prob they will have to fix a new trunking to run the cable.

1 point is enough for your house since according to opennet, the device provided by the ISPs should have 4 output ports. thus there is no need for you to have more than 1 point

You may want to install points in your bedrooms too. Hence, you probably need to run more than one point.

I miss the initial offer of Opennet installation, cos the free installation period is between my 1st & 2 appt. Seller also boh chap, never tell me. Wrote to Opennet .... Haiz... Got reply today.

==========================================================

We have done a thorough check for your house on our system. However, the free installation period for your unit is long over. It was between 30/11/2009 - 19/12/2009. We understand that the house was under the previous owner at that time, however, as the free installation only applies during that stipulated period of time, we are sorry that the installation doesn't come for free anymore. Hence, should you wish to proceed with installation, the estimated installation charge of $220 excl GST would apply.

Once again, we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Regards

Fazeela

OpenNet Customer Service Officer

OpenNet Pte Ltd

I miss the initial offer of Opennet installation, cos the free installation period is between my 1st & 2 appt. Seller also boh chap, never tell me. Wrote to Opennet .... Haiz... Got reply today.

We have done a thorough check for your house on our system. However, the free installation period for your unit is long over. It was between 30/11/2009 - 19/12/2009. We understand that the house was under the previous owner at that time, however, as the free installation only applies during that stipulated period of time, we are sorry that the installation doesn't come for free anymore. Hence, should you wish to proceed with installation, the estimated installation charge of $220 excl GST would apply.

Regards

Fazeela

OpenNet Pte Ltd

Hi Warrior88,

What is the email address that you wrote to them?

I have some installation issue to ask them too...pls PM their email address.

Thanks.

Regards

Fazeela

OpenNet Pte Ltd

Haha....i got the same reply as well and am in the same situation as u. Basically we will only shift in next year and current owner has declined the offer. Am not willing to fork out $220 +++ for separate installation. It's quite stupid since we are the future owner of our new flat but yet we don't even get the chance to accept the 1st offer hence have to fork out the money to do installation later. So unfair. So we've decided to live with it, no opennet also never mind. We have CDs, read more books and newspapers, at the last resort we will use antennaes. :D

Haha....i got the same reply as well and am in the same situation as u. Basically we will only shift in next year and current owner has declined the offer. Am not willing to fork out $220 +++ for separate installation. It's quite stupid since we are the future owner of our new flat but yet we don't even get the chance to accept the 1st offer hence have to fork out the money to do installation later. So unfair. So we've decided to live with it, no opennet also never mind. We have CDs, read more books and newspapers, at the last resort we will use antennaes. :D

I miss this first installation for the opennet. Write in to appeal. They agree to arrange another round for those who miss the first round. This is what they reply.

Thank you for your email.

Your details have already been logged in our system. Due to your unique circumstances. We will arrange a separate run of installation and are in the midst of finalizing the exact dates. However, this will only take place in approximately 3-12 months time. Once the schedule for the 2nd run is firmed up, we will proceed to contact you to arrange for an appointment.

Rest assured that we have your details in our database and the waiver still stands

I miss this first installation for the opennet. Write in to appeal. They agree to arrange another round for those who miss the first round. This is what they reply.

Thank you for your email.

Your details have already been logged in our system. Due to your unique circumstances. We will arrange a separate run of installation and are in the midst of finalizing the exact dates. However, this will only take place in approximately 3-12 months time. Once the schedule for the 2nd run is firmed up, we will proceed to contact you to arrange for an appointment.

Rest assured that we have your details in our database and the waiver still stands

think that is a generic response to end users, since no definite timeframe given for installation...

You may want to install points in your bedrooms too. Hence, you probably need to run more than one point.

Not sure what you are planning to do with those bedroom connections ;) but Singtel (Starhub and M1 probably too) are offering up to 200Mbit on a single connection, up to 1Gbit for businesses. As HD t.v. (eg MIO t.v.) only needs 21MBit per channel, a single connection should be able to service a t.v. watching a HD channel in each room you are likely to watch from and internet.

It seems that Singtel has decided on using coax cable for internal home routing :bangwall: or you can just use standard cat5e/cat6 network cables.

ExploreHome-Diagram.jpg

The Singtel offering is called exstream. Give it a google for more info. The future could be looking quite interesting (video chat on the TV etc) :thumbs up: .

Looks like I need to factor in running cat6 cables in my renovation.

RB

Not sure what you are planning to do with those bedroom connections ;) but Singtel (Starhub and M1 probably too) are offering up to 200Mbit on a single connection, up to 1Gbit for businesses. As HD t.v. (eg MIO t.v.) only needs 21MBit per channel, a single connection should be able to service a t.v. watching a HD channel in each room you are likely to watch from and internet.

It seems that Singtel has decided on using coax cable for internal home routing :bangwall: or you can just use standard cat5e/cat6 network cables.

ExploreHome-Diagram.jpg

The Singtel offering is called exstream. Give it a google for more info. The future could be looking quite interesting (video chat on the TV etc) :thumbs up: .

Looks like I need to factor in running cat6 cables in my renovation.

RB

Hi RB,

Agree with you. I feel that factoring in Cat6 cables and making your house future ready is a worthwhile investment.

U can engage 3rd party contractors to do extra nodes if you want but I can't really understand why would you need that extra node.

The incoming fiber will terminate into a little junction box( think Starhub's coaxial box) and your equipment(ONT - provided by ISP) will connect to this box via a fiber jumper. Your home router/switch should then connect to the ONT and cables from all over your house should goto your home router/switch.

If i've false ceiling throughout house and do not wish to run trunking along ceiling when opennet comes for installation, can i pre-run a conduit or trunking with a string in it up in my false ceiling 1st...later when installation time, tie end of optical fibre to string and pull through??? is this feasible???

If i've false ceiling throughout house and do not wish to run trunking along ceiling when opennet comes for installation, can i pre-run a conduit or trunking with a string in it up in my false ceiling 1st...later when installation time, tie end of optical fibre to string and pull through??? is this feasible???

Technically, yes this is a good way to do it. It is common to have a string running through some plastic piping so the cable is channelled along an unobstructed path (electrical trunking or PVC pipe will do). This will prevent the cable getting hung up on false ceiling supports and the like.

RB

Technically, yes this is a good way to do it. It is common to have a string running through some plastic piping so the cable is channelled along an unobstructed path (electrical trunking or PVC pipe will do). This will prevent the cable getting hung up on false ceiling supports and the like.

RB

But take note of the bending radius as the optic fiber cable cannot be kinked or bent.