Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
noobsea

Fresh 1st Timer Buyer

Started hunting for our 1st home.

Came across a few interested units so decided to call up this agent from Orange Tee.

Initially, he was very proactive, understanding and always answer my calls and question with patient.

In total, we "miss the boat" with him for 3 times.

His service attitude started to change bit by bit as time goes by because we have viewed almost all of the units available.

Fast forward.

We manage to secure the 2nd time unit during his absence with the help of his stand in colleague.

All the negotiating and paper work was done up by his stand in colleague.

So here comes the problems.*it's either i'm too fussy or he really have a not so good service attitude*

I asked for the floorplan from him after I read through this forum that floorplan will come in handy when doing the ID drawings. He came back to me and say his company don't provide floor plan and I should get it myself from the HDB. I am absolutely alright since it is only $5 for it.

After speaking to a few friends and property agent friends of mine, they feel that the floorplan should come from the agent as a gesture of good service since he had already more or less earn our commission.

So I spoke to the agent again and he tried to "tai chi" about this floor plan which makes me quite turn off. Not service oriented.

Then, I ask about the housing grant application. He told me to call HDB to check how to go about doing it. Fine, I called in HDB, sounding stupid.

In the end, HDB officer told me that since I have engage an agent, the agent can do the necessary for me instead. All the agent have to do is to indicate what type of grant I am applying in the form. That's all.

I felt like a slap in my face. I called him up again to clarify and told him that he could have told me all these so I don't have to call HDB since all he have to do is to just indicate in the forms.

I mean, I as a 1st timer has no experience at all in this, shouldn't he guide me along instead of pushing me to HDB?

Felt that his customer service really deteoriate especially since we confirmed this unit from him.

Am I being fussy or what???

Edited by noobsea

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

No you are not being fussy. The agent is supposed to do all that for you. He is a housing agent, for goodness, not just there to do one singular transaction and expect to take your 1% so easily.

No you are not being fussy. The agent is supposed to do all that for you. He is a housing agent, for goodness, not just there to do one singular transaction and expect to take your 1% so easily.

But even if he insist not to provide me with the floor plan, I also can't do anything right.

For the housing grant part, really make me &@(*^$*#@(&!)

You are NOT fussy at all. The agent has to do the job. I am quite lucky that I have the current agent who did everything for me, his service is perfect, worth for the 1% from me. He helped me to take photos during inspection, check everything; fight for us when the seller wanted to delay in handover. He even did the PUB, citygas transfer etc. Overall, I am quite happy with this agent!!

You can tell him that you are not happy with his service; and you can actually complain or reduce the agent fee to 0.5 ~ 0.7%.

You are NOT fussy at all. The agent has to do the job. I am quite lucky that I have the current agent who did everything for me, his service is perfect, worth for the 1% from me. He helped me to take photos during inspection, check everything; fight for us when the seller wanted to delay in handover. He even did the PUB, citygas transfer etc. Overall, I am quite happy with this agent!!

You can tell him that you are not happy with his service; and you can actually complain or reduce the agent fee to 0.5 ~ 0.7%.

Hi yumiko,

PUB and citygas transfer???? OMG! I didn't know about all these too.

Though we have not exercise our OTP but we will be doing so this coming weekend. I didn't know of all these at all.

Complain to who? Now I think I am being taken advantage of.

- There are agents who don't mind walk extra miles. There are also quite many "insist on principle".

- He might have thought he have spent "enough time/resource" on you, and doesn't even want to spend $5 from his pocket for the fl plan. He has sale & marketing myopia for over this $5 matter. Or he perceives no "oil water" from u in the future. Usually sale ppls ought to be quick witted through observations.

- Believe u did not inform him abt housing grant in the beginning of the search and have many "last minute" requests and make him "fire".

- "1st timer" is not an excuse for longing for "being fetched" with proper, timely and correct information from agent. Without knowing the rules of game and yet taking part in game, can you image the situation?

Many 1st timers don't know what are rules of game. Agent know rules too well and always look for "holes" to enter.

Edited by bepgof

- There are agents who don't mind walk extra miles. There are also quite many "insist on principle".

- He might have thought he have spent "enough time/resource" on you, and doesn't even want to spend $5 from his pocket for the fl plan. He has sale & marketing myopia for over this $5 matter. Or he perceives no "oil water" from u in the future. Usually sale ppls ought to be quick witted through observations.

- Believe u did not inform him abt housing grant in the beginning of the search and have many "last minute" requests and make him "fire".

- "1st timer" is not an excuse for longing for "being fetched" with proper, timely and correct information from agent. Without knowing the rules of game and yet taking part in game, can you image the situation?

Many 1st timers don't know what are rules of game. Agent know rules too well and always look for "holes" to enter.

Hi Bepgof,

1st - I did inform him of the housing grant that I will be taking.

I don't see all these as last minute requests as I do not know any information on all these. It was only when I join and read through this forum threads then I realise how much I missed out.

I don't need people to spoon feed. But at least inform me about the things I need to do or what to look out for. But he didn't and yet still expect me to refer him to others should I have friends who intend to buy property.

Hi yumiko,

PUB and citygas transfer???? OMG! I didn't know about all these too.

Though we have not exercise our OTP but we will be doing so this coming weekend. I didn't know of all these at all.

Complain to who? Now I think I am being taken advantage of.

If you are 1st time buyer.

Why u bother abt PUB and citigas transfer.

PUB transfer can do online. Very straight forward.

Some agent do out of goodwill and others assume other must follow.

If you go and complain abt the agent didn't provide HDB floor plan, PUB and citygas transfer.

Your complain will fly out of the door ASAP.

This is basically agent own-self service.

General rule of thumb is to do homework ourselves for big purchases: cars, houses, studies, renovations, etc...

i paid $25 to sit in for the HDB resale talk, to ask questions myself also.

Yes, i do the agent did not go the extra mile, mine didn't either. perhaps u just not lucky enough to meet a very good agent. :)

So better start to do homework for renovations, if not.... :P

If you are 1st time buyer.

Why u bother abt PUB and citigas transfer.

PUB transfer can do online. Very straight forward.

Some agent do out of goodwill and others assume other must follow.

If you go and complain abt the agent didn't provide HDB floor plan, PUB and citygas transfer.

Your complain will fly out of the door ASAP.

This is basically agent own-self service.

I would have done so myself if I had know all these.

Like I say, I do not need to be spoon feed. But at least out of goodwill, give me some heads up so I can know where and what to do.

All these aside, his customer service attitude to me really go from bad to worse.

It just gives me the feeling of since close deal already, don't have to bother so much.

General rule of thumb is to do homework ourselves for big purchases: cars, houses, studies, renovations, etc...

Yes, i do the agent did not go the extra mile, mine didn't either. perhaps u just not lucky enough to meet a very good agent. :)

Well, it's ok that he refuse to go that extra mile. Because afterall, it is not a rule that he have to do it.

BUT! at least inform me of all these that I have to look out for so I can do the necessary myself. =(

A case of differing expectations meeting with differing service levels. Just move on. Home ownership shd be a happy thing after all.

A case of differing expectations meeting with differing service levels. Just move on. Home ownership shd be a happy thing after all.

Thing is, still have to face this agent till collection of keys.

bro, many have pointed out u need to do some homework.

Yours is really not too bad, there are people far worst than you, blame it on not being prepared, got played by agent till one forgot name.

Look on the bright side, start planning what u want for you home, reno, house warming...etc.

Congrats

Well, it's ok that he refuse to go that extra mile. Because afterall, it is not a rule that he have to do it.

BUT! at least inform me of all these that I have to look out for so I can do the necessary myself. =(

:good:

Old saying: A good start/planning, already half win the battle. Early birds always got worms eat, why"

孙子兵法 states: 知己知彼,百战百胜 :good:

Edited by bepgof