Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

FRIEND'S RENOVATION

My friend got a new flat 3 years ago (around Dec period too). After that, they were looking for contractors/designers to renovate their place. Took them 6 months to do research on their theme, design and choosing contractor.

Even with all the searching, they finally settled with someone that my friend was not comfortable with but husband insisted on. This is something they she regreted until now. Why i said so?

1) Design - this contractor doesn't give any design ideas. It was all from my friend and her hubby after 6 months of searching. Asking him come up with design, the contractor can't even suggest anything good.

2) Suggestion of choosing colour - The contractor also never give any good suggestions to their colour scheme. So in the end, the whole house are done in total BLACK, even the walls except a few parts.

Choosing of laminate and tiles also without suggestions given. So now, my friend have to lay the whole house with carpet or else every single step taken on the floor, will have foot print mark. Cleaning was a nightmare to her... not to say fingerprints are seen everywhere on her wardrobe and kitchen cabinets as the laminate was glossy black. :furious:

3) Even though it was 2.5 years ago they started the reno, but until now, they have yet to be able to move in. :jawdrop:

WHY? because there is a part of the wall that have wet patches. Even that part of the wall was not being renovated or hacked, there are water patches everywhere. After months and months of getting HDB to rectify it (as its new flat) or getting contractor to find where is the problem, no one able to get to the root of the problem until few weeks ago.

Finally found out that one of the tap behind the kitchen cabinet linking to the washing machine was not done properly, so there was a bit of water leakage that no one found out. So finally it was rectify and they might be able to move in soon.

Even though it seem like the contractor was mostly at fault, they were at fault too for not paying what is due to the contractor. I hope none of you will face the same problem.

May, this story is very unique and amazing. It is hard to believe that after renovation for 2.5yrs ago and have not moved in. What is more amazing is that no one seem to be able to solve your friend's problem. It is a major setback for both the owner and contractor. Do u mean the contractor did not receive any payment or is it only final 5%?

Hi May_dream1,

May I have your contractor contact pls. Does he design as well?

Thanks v much.

hi zzzmonster, i already pm to you. so will reply from there.

May, this story is very unique and amazing. It is hard to believe that after renovation for 2.5yrs ago and have not moved in. What is more amazing is that no one seem to be able to solve your friend's problem. It is a major setback for both the owner and contractor. Do u mean the contractor did not receive any payment or is it only final 5%?

as i understand, its the final 5% plus some additional work that they have asked the contractor to do. actual amount, i do not know lah.

ya, loh.. i was shocked too when she told me. Well, it could also be that due the leakage, they never move in. so they just leave the house as it is without finding out the real root problem. So the problem was left there without being solved and so they don't move in.

PATCHING AND REPAINTING ELECTRICAL CASING

I have my opennet installation done 6 months after i moved in. Some of you might already have opennet and some might not have it yet. During my renovation, i requested opennet to install for me so that it would be all done at the same time but it was not possible. So i have asked my electrician, Ah Soon to do something for me.

What was done?

An extra fake cable are lay together with the rest of the live cables. This cable was pull from my tv console area, next to Starhub tv box out to outside the flat where most likely opennet will have the fiber coming in. This way, when opennet come to install, the real fiber optic cable can be attached to the fake cable then slowly pull it from the tv console until the fiber optic cable appear at the tv console.

It is not an easy task as the fiber optic cable is fragile and the distance from outside the flat to my tv console are quite far and have to go through feature wall as well.

The first time opennet came by, they are not able to pull the cable to my tv console area. :bangwall:

So they left and i have to get my contractor, Andrew to come by have a look. When he came by, he took off a part of the casing, where all the wires are hidden. That way, opennet are able to know which part that make have the wire stuck. Due to this, there are certain part of the casing which has been patched nicely to camouflage unto my ceiling have to be taken off. now i have paint peeling off and filler dropping off. :jawdrop: There goes my nice new wall

My kind contractor came by yesterday to fill up the gap again and after CNY, he will come again to repaint my wall. He does it by himself without asking a worker to do it. For that, i am quite thankful to him. So even though my renovation ended in Apr 2011, which was more than 8 months ago, he will still come to do some patching and repainting. All these for FREE too!! :sport-smiley-004:

4) Waterfall tap in common toilet - some were expecting it to be automatic :jawdrop: so i told them, my toilet is not shopping centre public toilet, how can it be auto water tap? hahaha....

1ae87d5c.jpg

I saw this at wholesale faucet and am considering to get it!! http://www.wholesale-faucet.com/products-846-Glass-Waterfall-Bathroom-Sink-Faucet-0204B.html How much you got this?

4) Waterfall tap in common toilet - some were expecting it to be automatic :jawdrop: so i told them, my toilet is not shopping centre public toilet, how can it be auto water tap? hahaha....

1ae87d5c.jpg

I saw this at wholesale faucet and am considering to get it!! http://www.wholesale-faucet.com/products-846-Glass-Waterfall-Bathroom-Sink-Faucet-0204B.html How much you got this?

i bought it for S$70+ incl shipping..... i think was US$50 or so during that time.... all depending on exchange rate of the time and the shipping charges.

the link you gave me, i think its quite cheap leh... but i can't find info on the shipping... i really like this tap a lot...hehehe....

You have to check out then can find the shipping information. It's by weight. I think cheapest is EMS.

i don't need to buy another. i am just saying that i don't know the shipping on the website you gave me so i am not sure whether the total will be cheaper or more expensive than what i bought.