Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Et209

Our Place At Bishan 4A

This is to document our experiences and to share them with like minded friends like you all. Owning a HDB was a daunting dream. After getting married, and started a new business, investing in a long term investing was really at the back of my mind. But wife wanted a place we can say is ours. So we just dived into it.

After a month of home hunting; we went to about 30; we chance on this unit. We really liked it immediately; plus no COV!! So we grabbed immediately and was finally a HDB owner!

That was in 2006! We slowly renovated the place. I had a keen interest in Reno. So I did not engage a ID.'plus to save cost, we did only the necessary stuff at that time and it had evolved into what it is today...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

welcome to RT, that is really a unique LO and wow , original condition! Looking fwd to the photos of it now.

agree layout is one of a kind. i can already feel the hacking itch - are you planning any major changes?

nothing beats $0 COV! corner unit somemore is that right? i think with a little sprucing up, your place can be a real gem.

best of wishes on your reno :)

Yes. It was the "original condition" that attracted us. Everything was original, including metal door frames, air vents on top of each door, metal toilet doors.. Haha..

Plus the unique layout makes the place look bigger. We have hacked the store room away. That opens up the whole place too.

The reason why bishan was because we can be near to my parents.

A prelude to the almost completed living room.

I don't have a theme. Probably something uniquely Asia rustic, cozy, woody, using lots of photos of my kids and some hand me down furnitures.

12bae4e2.jpg

7b78e720.jpg

Some more pictures of the "original" conditions.

These pictures are after we have cleaned the place. Believe me when I say we probably used half of Pierce Reservoir. Some of the walls were black! Literally!

The main door:

302f7bda.jpg

Facing the storeroom and entrance to the kitchen. Hack hack hack!!!

a29731d8.jpg

Standing outside the common toilet facing the kitchen

54f4f25e.jpg

The storeroom which I wanna lack

f431f5d1.jpg

A panoramic view of the L shaped living-dining room:

e721753f.jpg

Edited by Et209

Throughout the few years we have spent approximately the below cost in the total renovation:

Description

Toilet and water renovation cost:

Toilet bowl 188

2 basin 300

Basin piping 95

Hotwater champs 146

Copper piping 490

2 toilet B/F doors and rubbish chute 748

Fix glass panel in common toilet 180

3 unit aircon includes installation of piping:

Aircon 1719

Furnitures and household appliances:

LG fridge 288

Sofa 400

Maytag washer 369

Panasonic microwave 129

Coffee table 59

Cabinet1 199

Cabinet2 199

2 stools 78

Mirror 99

Art 3 pc painting 130

Master bedroom art. 2011 purchase 50

Fan 155

Ikea mirror @ common toilet 99

Ikea single bed x2 200

Ikea drawers x2 200

Ikea cupboards x2 200

Ikea plants. X5 30

Ikea pots. X5 30

Cushions 100

Small ikea mirror x4 20

Ikea lights x3 in bedrooms 150

Ikea lights in hall n kitchen n toilets 200

Ikea kitchen n toilets accessories 200

Cut glass for table tops 150

Wall decal stickers in kids room 100

Ikea shelves. X4 150

Curtains 200

We re-wired the whole house and did the points according to where we want. I will elaborate the actual breakdown later. This electrician is **** good. Peter was recommended by a friend and used to do wiring for many major commercial projects. His work was meticulous.

Electrical points and re-wiring 1512

Kitchen was done up by my carpenter friend at Art Decor. Speical pricing of course! But good workmanship:

Kitchen cabinet. Bottom 12 ft @ $90/ft 1080

Kitchen top 8ft @ $50/ft 400

Hack old kitchen support and built kitchen base 330

PCS kitchen top 12ft 180

Kitchen stove 320

Kitchen sink 150

Kitchen hob 300

Got a friend's brothers (part time house painters also) to repaint the place. I bought the paint and brush accessories for them. They took 3 days for undercoat and paint. Thanks guys!!

Painting labour 300

Paint 300

Hacked away some stuff. Got rid of those 80s air vents. Recently I got another contractor friend to hack away the store room. something I'd wanted to do for many years!

Hack air vents and patch back 120

Hack storeroom wall n door 450

Box up 3 bedroom door ventilation 100

Got new wooden door and a metal door grill. Bought at a Reno fair 4 years ago.Bad idea! These guys were late for the appointment. The grill started to rust within a month! And they would not change a new one. Just came and touch up paint over some rust spots.

3 bedroom doors and 1 main door grill 1100

Most recently, just got Krono-O to do laminates over those 80s floor tiles. thanks Steven. The Kronostep range is the best laminates I'd seen. Reasonable pricing. Wow factor. Even my sis is considering redoing her flooring.

Laminate flooring 4500

Total $19192

This total includes all furniture and accessories.

Edited by Et209

The living room is almost complete. I plan to get a mirror for one side of the wall and maybe another art. Also may mount another picture of the kids on top of the tv. The ikea standing lamp uses warm white; for a cozy ambience.

f88ddbec.jpg

The wooden feature wall was purchased from another renotalk forumer. Alvin! Thanks!!

the shelves below is from ikea.

The other side of the living room.

cae8bc12.jpg

I m not really ready to show you the incomplete bedrooms. But here you can see the art I bought from another renotalk forumer. Also we have retained the metal door frames and box up the air vents on top of the door. We chose a darker colored laminate for the bedrooms.

a008a14a.jpg

any pics of your completed kitchen? I like your living room! The floor and furniture matches very well. I love all the woody elements you use (the table, tv wall etc) very resort feel. Sigh, unfortunately my fiance does not like such woody feel in the house =(. He wants simple, plain (to me is bland haha) and modern..... sianzzzz

Hi getfuzzy, here you go. Total 20 ft kitchen. 12 bottom and 8 top. It is a L shaped layout. I did not hack the existing wall tiles. A good scrub and a lot of DIY grouting. Also, using stickers, i covered the blue tiled motifs with colors that are earth tone. It's easy and the stickers are cheap and waterproof too. We did not hack the floor too. But in a later stage, I may cover the floor with wood too.

b9f0b56f.jpg

Another picture I took of the kitchen with lights on.

6c12df5c.jpg

The othe side of the kitchen. Notice the original wall tiles. Also ikea mirrors. Ignore that big piece of glass.

13adef34.jpg