Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
SnOOpy

How to say "HI" to your new neighbours ?

Hi,

This is an interesting thread. My neighbours are new (the previous neighbours just shifted away abt a month ago). With the previous neighbours, life was harmonious and friendly. I would not say that for our new neighbours. And worst, they are directly opposite us.

Initially, attempts from me and my wife to give the ice-breaking smile was met with some ice-forming glare and frown. After that we did not even want to look at them. And they are so inconsiderate!! There was once when my wife was carrying my sleeping 1 yo baby, entering our flat. The neighbours was also by their doorstep, opening their gate and door. Despite the sight of the sleeping baby, they made no attempts to open their gate and door quietly, but to top that up, talked loudly to each other..... haiz.... some neighbours I have.

Thanks goodness I will be shifting soon.....

reviving this interesting topic...

I moved in recently... my immediate neighbours (mint green door) are always staying at their 'other' home. so v quiet and peaceful and clean....

the family staying directly opposite of our long long corridor (brown door) is quite quiet... sometimes their door is open, and the couple smiled at us once when they were coming out of their house and we were preparing to get out of our house. the final family (blue door) staying next to this opposite one also always closes their doors. we've only seen them once, and we kinda shyly smiled at them from a distance, and they stared at us quite interestingly (maybe thinking, orh so THESE are the culprits of the noise) and then just smiled a bit and went to the lift lobby (out of sight).

i din apologise for the noise before the reno or attempt to bake them brownies since we moved in a few weeks ago... but they seem very private kind, will get shocked by us if we too friendly oso. think the problem is there are no kids... usually kids break the ice.

so my place, very quiet, very clean (whole corridor NOTHING except some neglected looking aloe vera pots outside the blue door neighbours' house). guess in some ways good. in some ways not very warm feeling lah.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Talk about neighbour... I shifted in 1 year alreay... hardly meet my left hand neigbour... only notice their presence form the plant at the corridor... 3 pots of dying soon plant when I first shifted in... then disappered ... after CNY ... became 3 coconuts... one each in a pot... I was wondering how to grow coconut in HDB... then it gone two days ago... now left with one pot of over grown plan...

Hehe ! Neighbours at my row is very friendly. When my parents and FH parents came over, the neighbour at the end asked us if wan to come in to his place to take a look or not.

When we open the doors, our row neighbours all come by to take a peek. We invited them in and just chit chat a while. One of them even pointed out to ask TC to do something about our foyer. Cos the water will be stagnant there. So nice hor !

But there are 2 opposite us we never see before one. Always never open the door. I gt see them go in and out but never see their faces. So weird...

Most likely during the house warming, we will invite all the neighbours as well

You better not be itchy fingers and see whats under the coconut shell (ref: NS days) ..... :bangwall:

Oh... only read it now... I never go NS leh... don't understand...

I have a weird over-friendly neighbour. Her unit is near to the lift, she'll open her door and chat with us when we're waiting for the lift or came home from work. Sometimes she'll even try to chat with us when we leave our door opens...... some neighbours suspect she has mental problem due to some of the content in her conversation.

would be nice to have friendly neighbours...well at least courteous and not cold 3 and unfriendly.

got 3 neighbours...2 units r 2nd owners...1 unit accepted our gift for CNY but the other one dun open door. so we gave up.

I find the older ones more friendly. younger ones like so arrogant...and mind u im young.

i was looking for house dr to dr cus i like the internal layout of such flats but the agent told me if u get **** neighbour then die! i was thinking yeah she is right. but how to make fren b4 buying the flat? i dun think they even want to entertain n open door lei

I forgot to say hi, or inform my neighbours before starting renovation. And during my renov, really got some neighbour complain to HDB that works are noisy on a Sat. (yeah.. my ID fault, works are not supposed to be done on Sat actually).

Anyway, no matter who it is, I'm thinking of buying someting to give my neighbours after my renov is formally over. How not sure what to give - cakes, muffins? fruits? or like 6-pack drinks (but very heavy leh)?

I have 3 neighbours on my floor only, plus 2 neighbours - one directly up and another down my floor. Should be ok right?

These 5 neighbours on my floor are :

- young couple, very frenly

- family in their 40s, with 2 kids, plus old parents

- young couple, looks very serious, never smile (seen the guy, nvr see the lady tho')

- downstairs - young couple, looks frenly, but complained that my reno created cracks in their walls, which I hv asked my ID to attend to it.

- upstairs - never meet them, but its a big family with children, maid, and dripping mops..

Edited by mint

I forgot to say hi, or inform my neighbours before starting renovation. And during my renov, really got some neighbour complain to HDB that works are noisy on a Sat. (yeah.. my ID fault, works are not supposed to be done on Sat actually).

Anyway, no matter who it is, I'm thinking of buying someting to give my neighbours after my renov is formally over. How not sure what to give - cakes, muffins? fruits? or like 6-pack drinks (but very heavy leh)?

I have 3 neighbours on my floor only, plus 2 neighbours - one directly up and another down my floor. Should be ok right?

These 5 neighbours on my floor are :

- young couple, very frenly

- family in their 40s, with 2 kids, plus old parents

- young couple, looks very serious, never smile (seen the guy, nvr see the lady tho')

- downstairs - young couple, looks frenly, but complained that my reno created cracks in their walls, which I hv asked my ID to attend to it.

- upstairs - never meet them, but its a big family with children, maid, and dripping mops..

wah allow me to share my story also..

when we first took our keys, we wana like sae hi to our neighbours and like sae we r dd our reno and if there r any inconveniences caused to u, we r sorry abt it and we planned to buy some cakes to them after our reno completed also..

but then hor, ev time we went up to see the pogress of the reno, they will give us weird face.. their whole face will trun crumpled, like machiam see duno what like that u know... then nvm, they will quickly shut their door with a loud bang ley.. obviously is like dun welcome us, dun wana see us mah.. rite.. then got once, their kid out lookin at us.. then the mother quickly pulled the kid away and sae, dun see la.. quickly come inside! then bang the door again... such incidences happen many many times and will happen everytime we go up see the flat..

now tt we moved in liao, also same treatment.... when they walked past our flat, they dun and wun even bother look in.. a few times we stand at the door wana sae hi... they will act blur or act deaf la... so funni and rude hor..

evtm when we go hm from work, they hear our keys, or hear the door opening sound hor, they will bang their door again.. OMG!!

haha, i was tiking duno one fine day their door will fall or spoil or break anot men haha

freaking rude hor.. unfriendly lor....

then my hb got once also a tooth for a tooth haha.. when they come home, quickly go and bang our door also... haha.. its a gd one... but i told my hb dun do that cus wait the door spoil and plus they ignorant, we dun b like them mah....

so u tik we still wana gv them cakes and stuufs meh....

My previous neighbours were friendly folks. Some were noisy, but at least they were still friendly. Well, the new ones I have now are !! :

(1) A newly-wed couple who doesn't smile at all (the HB has a 'giam-chai' face). Tried to smile and break the ice in the lift once, but HB gave me the 'don't talk to me' face. Bloodie I felt like I just talked to the lift wall!

(2) An Ah-ma who bloody smokes in the lift when she brings her granddaughter down to a nearby preschool. She actually tried to hide her cig in her hand! (3) Someone who drags feet all the way to the common rubbish-chute and releases the chute, resulting in a loud bang (and always chooses to dispose of rubbush after midnite). Everynite, without fail.

(4) A neighbor who frowns at me but speaks a little to my wife (give me a feeling of 'kuar-suai [looking-down]); resulting in me also frowning at her whenever I see her...

If only neighbors are more understanding and considerate.... :notti:

thankfully I only have a few months more before I move!

My previous neighbours were friendly folks. Some were noisy, but at least they were still friendly. Well, the new ones I have now are :notti: :

(1) A newly-wed couple who doesn't smile at all (the HB has a 'giam-chai' face). Tried to smile and break the ice in the lift once, but HB gave me the 'don't talk to me' face. Bloodie I felt like I just talked to the lift wall!

(2) An Ah-ma who bloody smokes in the lift when she brings her granddaughter down to a nearby preschool. She actually tried to hide her cig in her hand! (3) Someone who drags feet all the way to the common rubbish-chute and releases the chute, resulting in a loud bang (and always chooses to dispose of rubbush after midnite). Everynite, without fail.

(4) A neighbor who frowns at me but speaks a little to my wife (give me a feeling of 'kuar-suai [looking-down]); resulting in me also frowning at her whenever I see her...

If only neighbors are more understanding and considerate.... :bath:

thankfully I only have a few months more before I move!

poor CraB...LOL!:notti::) Don't worry..u'll have better neighbours very soon. :notti:

When we were about to start our renovation, I wanted to buy some cakes to my neighbour who is staying one floor below mine but my hubby felt it's very weird of me to do so when nobody bothers. When I moved in, overall neighbours look great except for the floor we're staying. :( A family which we always taking the same lift, they always show a black face when they see anyone, a sweet smile plus a friendly "hello" didn't help at all. Anyway, they don't look like considerate neighbours, always like to leave their rubbish right in front of the dustbin chute and I've seen the husband throwing rubbish on the corridor far away from their house and they ended up flying to my door step. The neighbour opposite them told us this family isn't happy with them because they using some method to stop them from putting their shoes and bicycle at their (the better neighbour's) door step.

Another neighbour likes to smoke at my corridor, dirty my corridor with his cigarette ash and throws the cigarette butts down, causing my downstairs neighbour mistaken us as the culprit. I asked the wife how come her husband likes to smoke at the corridor, she told me because they don't want to have a cigarette smell in their house or dirty their floor........ so it's ok for our house to have these problems?

I always smile to my neighbours even if I don't know them personally but look like they're staying in the same block as us, but I'm reluctant to do the same to the above selfish neighbours of mine although they're the nearest to us.

I have to admit I'm not very neighbourly. I'm only with the polite hellos and a few comments/questions but am paranoid when people ask too much. Oue immediate neighbour is a bit weird, he like to read the papers on the stairs in the corridor at night (save electricity?). They also like to plant their plants all over the corridor. I can accept it if the plants are nice but they're not well maintained and the whole corridor looks like a jungle.