Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Adidaem,

Thanks for the input. Will be exercising otp in 2 weeks. Hopefully there's no change of mind. Keeping my finger really crossed.

60 to 80k is sufficient, but you will have to watch your budget. Best if you can find a place where the flooring can be salvaged i.e. good condition marble and parquet (for rooms) cos that is a good 10-20k savings. For marble, understand that deep cracks cannot be repaired/salvaged. Parquet can be sanded down and re-varnished. If stairs/rails can be salvaged, better still cos to re-do stairs costs anything from 4 to 10k depending on design/materials.

Usually the big ticket items will be the 3 toilets (total re-do), kitchen (carpentry is always expensive), flooring, stairs, electricals (re-do for safety reasons) and lightings (more points e.g. downlights = higher cost), aircon (7-8k if you want 6 blowers/2 compressors), windows/sliding balcony doors.

The rest like carpentry (wardrobes, beds, tv console, storage, study area, vanity), main/room/toilet doors, false ceiling and feature wall will really depend on what you want to do, and how much you are willing to spend. 100k reno is not unusual too.

20k cov sounds low. Good luck with reno if you do get a unit.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi everyone,

I know there are many who spent many months looking for an ideal em. Just sold my place and immediately started searching for an em. Although I have only viewed abt 10 units in less than 3 weeks, I am already kind of tired out. Most units call for high cov, ranging from 40k to 80k. Yes, I must say that some are nicely reno but I am not willingly to pay eg. 80k for cov. I rather use that amount to do an overhaul of a run-down em. At last, found one which only calls for 20k cov - definitely needs major reno. Pls advise if:

- 60 to 80 k sufficient for an overhaul of a 26 yo em?

- any good responsible contractors or id to recommend? In terms of workmanship, service etc.

I thought I should start my homework now so that I am prepared for another challenging time ahead, ie Reno!

Ax

Hi Ax, congrats for getting an EM.... Btw where is the EM u bought? 20k COV is indeed on the low side. My COV was on the high side about a yr ago.... All cash has gone and left with little to reno. My Reno is abt 42k which involve overhauling the whole place.... So 60k to 80k should be sufficient. All the best for your reno :)

Hi, I'm new here, just sign otp for Hougang Ave 10, bought 565+ cov 35= 600k for level 4 unit, is this consider good deal now? I have been viewing about 20 unit EM in Tampines, Bedok & Pasir Ris but didn't expect EM to be so exp in east area (been staying in North, AMK & Bishan). so end up with no much choice, only managed to get this Hougang unit which met my budget of 600k. ;-)

I need advice to overhaul whole house as seller is 1st owner, which mean house is quite original. any recommmendation for ID or cheap & good contractor? pls email to chris_ttal@yahoo.com.sg for details.

prefer design to be simple, nice & spacious with 2 kids ( 14 & 4 yrs old) & 1 fat old dog.

40k enough to cover? as flooring, WC need to be change; also to hack kitchen to open concept.

Hihi, I think 600k for ave 10 is not bad cos the location is not bad.. 2 streets away from hougang mall rite? I'm dreaming to get an EM there in June oso.. Hahahaha.. I saw online on a few post of 3 EM at ave10.. E cov sounds ok oso.. I tink most EMs are ard 600k for now.. (based on my research LOL)

Hi, I'm new here, just sign otp for Hougang Ave 10, bought 565+ cov 35= 600k for level 4 unit, is this consider good deal now? I have been viewing about 20 unit EM in Tampines, Bedok & Pasir Ris but didn't expect EM to be so exp in east area (been staying in North, AMK & Bishan). so end up with no much choice, only managed to get this Hougang unit which met my budget of 600k. ;-)

I need advice to overhaul whole house as seller is 1st owner, which mean house is quite original. any recommmendation for ID or cheap & good contractor? pls email to chris_ttal@yahoo.com.sg for details.

prefer design to be simple, nice & spacious with 2 kids ( 14 & 4 yrs old) & 1 fat old dog.

40k enough to cover? as flooring, WC need to be change; also to hack kitchen to open concept.

Edited by jo'en

Good buy for an EM. I think only Hougang, Serangoon N and woodlands can get EM for around 600k.

Don't know why EM in East is more expensive.

Good buy for an EM. I think only Hougang, Serangoon N and woodlands can get EM for around 600k.

Don't know why EM in East is more expensive.

One neighbour in our same block sold their unit for $630,000, you can check HDB's resale price enquiry. Going by the recent valuations of between $520,000 to $540,000, it would mean they received between $90,000 to $110,000 in COV.

Prices are still pretty robust. I guess I'm fortunate I got mine for below $500,000 @ $35,000 COV.

Just want to check whether u guys have installed any shelter on ur balcony?

As my balcony is square and open so i was worry of rain splashing in when heavy rain.

Pls advise

on the verge of buying an EM soon,

how much would it cost to hack kitchen + 3 toilets + balcony + entire lower floor and re-laying with homogenous tiles?

(basically keeping only the 3 bedrooms parquet floor and the staircase)

As my balcony is square and open so i was worry of rain splashing in when heavy rain.

Pls advise

Yes I installed a coffeeshop style electrically retractable awning . It helps to reduce splashing, so long as we remember to extend it when the rains come. You can see my renovation link in my sig for details.

on the verge of buying an EM soon,

how much would it cost to hack kitchen + 3 toilets + balcony + entire lower floor and re-laying with homogenous tiles?

(basically keeping only the 3 bedrooms parquet floor and the staircase)

Sounds almost like mine, so I will say it is $35k give or take $10k depending on your expectations on how nice you want it to be.

Yes I installed a coffeeshop style electrically retractable awning . It helps to reduce splashing, so long as we remember to extend it when the rains come. You can see my renovation link in my sig for details.

How much for that retractable awning?

How much for that retractable awning?

No idea, it was installed before I bought my flat. My apologies for my mistake in the previous post. I believe it should cost between 3-5k though. I spent 600 dollars just on changing the fabric material.

One neighbour in our same block sold their unit for $630,000, you can check HDB's resale price enquiry. Going by the recent valuations of between $520,000 to $540,000, it would mean they received between $90,000 to $110,000 in COV.

Prices are still pretty robust. I guess I'm fortunate I got mine for below $500,000 @ $35,000 COV.

O u got your EM at HG Ave 10 for less than 500 with cov 35? (means value 465+35)..wow...cheap le, a diff of 100k!! just bought it or few yrs back? Good buy ;-)

For Mar, valuation has go up by 10-20k. I seen more n more unit revalue to meet their expect selling price. Currently if im not wrong, its ranging from 575k onwards

I bought this unit which done its valuation on 1Mar12 which already consider on the higher value. But I'm really happy to receive you guys reply for positive feedbacks, at least won't feel regret for buying it at high valuation. If I'm not wrong, ave10 has the newest EM in HG , abt 16yrs old only.

Edited by chrislam

O u got your EM at HG Ave 10 for less than 500 with cov 35? (means value 465+35)..wow...cheap le, a diff of 100k!! just bought it or few yrs back? Good buy ;-)

For Mar, valuation has go up by 10-20k. I seen more n more unit revalue to meet their expect selling price. Currently if im not wrong, its ranging from 575k onwards

I bought this unit which done its valuation on 1Mar12 which already consider on the higher value. But I'm really happy to receive you guys reply for positive feedbacks, at least won't feel regret for buying it at high valuation. If I'm not wrong, ave10 has the newest EM in HG , abt 16yrs old only.

My transaction was completed in the first quarter of 2010, and it is in the Serangoon North area.

Older and mid-generation EMs are bigger by around 10sqm than the last batch of EMs.

Do be aware that historically, flat prices have fluctuated, so its not easy to say whether we're still on the upside of the price curve or not.

Pls advise

Means Gen 2 EM layout? Mine is a Gen 2 and without shelter in the balcony. During heavy rains, less than 1/3 of the floor will get wet. Think it really dps on what you plan to use the balcony for? I use mine as alfresco dining area and it works fine with outdoor tiles and furniture. If you use the balcony for hanging clothes then you may want to install some protection. So far for Gen 2 layouts the 3 common work done are:

1. Install Aluminium retractable Roller shutters

2. Roof over to create another room

3. Glass window the entire double storey space (rare)