Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Looks like finishing soon. Jia you!

Yup, primer/sealer paint completed, now doing 1st finishing coat, follow by 2nd final coat by next wk.

Tiling should be finished by next wk too.

Then can concentrate carpentry. Then plan for TOP inspection in Nov, and shift in dec to celebrate Christmas!

So far all fall into my planning and as per schedule.

Jumbopather, I am looking forward to your completed house. :yamseng:

Jumbopather, I am looking forward to your completed house. :yamseng:

Yes, me too. Hope it finished soon and well.

Maybe for today, share about how I install glass within a wall. Ths big hole in the wall is where I am going to install one big piece of glass.

journeyphoto631.jpg

Some contractors will lay the C-channel on top of the cut-out rc ledge, for me, pefer to conceal the C-channel, so only the glass portion is exposed. This can be done by cutting the slot onto the rc ledge and insert the channel inside the ledge. The glass can then fit easily into the c-channel. This conceal c-channel is located top and bottom only.

journeyphoto632.jpg

Glass not delievered yet, so will show the photo upon completion of installation.

Yes, me too. Hope it finished soon and well.

Maybe for today, share about how I install glass within a wall. Ths big hole in the wall is where I am going to install one big piece of glass.

journeyphoto631.jpg

Some contractors will lay the C-channel on top of the cut-out rc ledge, for me, pefer to conceal the C-channel, so only the glass portion is exposed. This can be done by cutting the slot onto the rc ledge and insert the channel inside the ledge. The glass can then fit easily into the c-channel. This conceal c-channel is located top and bottom only.

journeyphoto632.jpg

Glass not delievered yet, so will show the photo upon completion of installation.

Can see from the photos that your house has interesting openings that allow natural lighting to come through. Are they the original or added by you? Very nice, and they will certainly bring out the carpentry and furnishing later.

I was very particular about natural lighting, to the point of tearing down a newly constructed wall to do it differently during construction. My architect was amused but the contractor was hopping mad, as the result, LOL...

Very much inspired by this song...

If one has to switch on the lights to take photos of the interiors, during daytime (even with grey sky), then sometwhere is wrong.

Cheers!

Edited by Lauer

Hi Lauer, you notice those openings too?

Yes, specially opened by me. The top 2 long openings were actually used to be small RC vents in the original Hse, which serves very little purpose, worse they collect dust and web, so I design it by hacking them down to create big openings and allow light through. Especially so for inter-terrace Hse which is long with openings at the front and back only, so in order to brighten up the central part (which is usually dark), one can either open up skylight or cleverly bring light in from the side.

As for the big opening hole in the wall beside staircase, that was added on as part of my design. I wanted big glass to add visibility and therefore make the central area (where the stair landing) not so claustrophobic. Will post the photo when ready.

Edited by jumbopanther

Problem with big glass is... People walk straight into them. Lol. Happened to my daughter.

I am certain that she is wiser now, LOL. Once bitten twice shied...whereas blocking the light is permanent?

Another thing is doing it where people expect it. Just like your glass railings at the stair? People walking up or down the stair expect the barriers, so unlikely to walk through a glass railing right? Of course, it can still happen la...

Cheers!

Problem with big glass is... People walk straight into them. Lol. Happened to my daughter.

Well, if the big glass is full height from the slab, yes, you are right that is possible to walk straight into it, but if you install it above a low parapet wall, it shouldn't be a risk, For my case, the big glass is installed 1 m above the low wall. And moreover, there are plans to put sofa against the low wall, thus forming another barrier: example

journeyphoto635.jpg

Edited by jumbopanther

Yah, you are right. The glass my daughter ran into was one big piece of glass sliding door for my study room. I am thinking of putting some decals or window film over it to mark out the doors.

Yah, you are right. The glass my daughter ran into was one big piece of glass sliding door for my study room. I am thinking of putting some decals or window film over it to mark out the doors.

don't bye very cheap ones esp those from Pasar Malam. Some of them gives out a funny smell and cause my kid to have a headache. :jawdrop: don't know what is chemical is lurking inside the decal.

don't bye very cheap ones esp those from Pasar Malam. Some of them gives out a funny smell and cause my kid to have a headache. :jawdrop: don't know what is chemical is lurking inside the decal.

Oh really? That's something I didn't know. Thanks.

So now 'cheap and good' stuff have to be more cautious.

When lighting holes are opened in the ceiling, a good electrician will align them neatly in line with fan and other lightings, can check whether they mark out the lines on the ceiling itself to know whether they are detail or not.

My electrician also added a U-hook to hold the fan at the centre of rooms.

journeyphoto613-1.jpg

Someone asked me about sharing of storage heaters. My advice would be:

1) OK to share heaters bewteen 2 toilets (maximum) on the same floor and these 2 toilets are situated near to each other.

2) Try not to share more than 2 toilets.

3) Not recommended to share toilets between 2 different floors.

Reason:

For 3 or more toilets, you will probably need a bigger heater storage tank. Not only size will be bigger (meaning take up more space in your toilet or lower false ceiling), with more water storage capacity, this will take longer time to heat up the tank and/or bigger heating coil, either case will consume more electrical power.

2 toilets will be fine, tank need not be too big (more compact to conceal in the toilet and ceiling), and not everyone will bathe exactly at the same time. Heating will be faster due to smaller tank, and the built-in thermostat can cut-off the heating elements when water temp reaches the requirement. Therefore save energy.

To me, its a no, no to share between 2 toilets at different floors, because every time one bathe or stop bathing, one need to go to the other floor to turn on/off the heater. 2 way switch is a solution but it is costly to install a 2-way switch for heaters..

Hope the above clarifies.

Edited by jumbopanther