Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
benauhc

Something Old, Something New

Our renovation journey is about to start.

We got over the exhausting house hunting phase in October and formally completed our ID hunt last week. Here is the original house layout to start off with, a 28 year old EM in the North East.

8400741719_5c7d270c07_z.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Our renovation journey is about to start.

We got over the exhausting house hunting phase in October and formally completed our ID hunt last week. Here is the original house layout to start off with, a 28 year old EM in the North East.

8400741719_5c7d270c07_z.jpg

Congrats!

Is your new place at Lor Ah Soo? It's identical to mine..

Edited by Ms Polar

Congrats! Interesting semi circular section in living hall, at the same time makes the MBR with that little odd corner. Where is your EM?

Congrats!

Is your new place at Lor Ah Soo? It's identical to mine..

Thanks!

Yep, the circular air-well is a dead giveaway. Guess you are staying in the same cluster.

Congrats! Interesting semi circular section in living hall, at the same time makes the MBR with that little odd corner. Where is your EM?

Thanks!

Yes, one of the challenge was to make that little corner not look out of place, especially since we plan to put a roof over the balcony. Ms Polar has guessed right my unit's location.

Welcome another EM owner. :yamseng:

When do u plan to start your renovation?

Thanks!

Renovation starts in the new (snake) year, right after 'Chap Goh Mei' .

Thanks!

Yep, the circular air-well is a dead giveaway. Guess you are staying in the same cluster.

Its a unique feature for EMs in Lor Ah Soo blk 14x. I think our units should be quite close by since there are only 3 blocks in this layout, mine is closer to Minton..btw, are u extending a mezzanine floor from your master bedroom in the air well. Ive seen my neighbours done it and converted to a walk in wardrobe. I didn't go for it back then and kinda regret now. Feel free to pm me for more info, I've done some research on this. Good luck on your reno!

Edited by Ms Polar

Its a unique feature for EMs in Lor Ah Soo blk 14x. I think our units should be quite close by since there are only 3 blocks in this layout, mine is closer to Minton..btw, are u extending a mezzanine floor from your master bedroom in the air well. Ive seen my neighbours done it and converted to a walk in wardrobe. I didn't go for it back then and kinda regret now. Feel free to pm me for more info, I've done some research on this. Good luck on your reno!

When we first looked around the internet on how people use the air well (besides wandering around the neighbourhood and peering at people's home from below), we chanced upon a photo of a WIW in the air well like what you mentioned. We did bounce the idea off a couple of IDs, but it either appear to be illegal or would just cost a bomb for approval and construction. So eventually we dropped the idea. Now the plan is to construct a L-shape wardrobe on the right side of our MBR for more storage, but that means the bed would be next to the attached bathroom. I am still keen to know what you learnt about such a construct.

Congrats and have a smooth Reno journey! We are about same timing ! Care to share your buying price? Cov?

PMed you. Wish you well on your reno too...

Here is a rough plan on what we will be doing with the house.

Proposed Layout

8405974508_032c2bc0ff_c.jpg

Starting from the bottom right corner ...

1) Entering the house from the right, there will be a foyer to greet us. Built-in shoe cabinet and bench on the side.

2) Next will be the dining hall with tall bookshelves against the wall

3) Turning to the right, we have a open concept kitchen with a counter at the entrance and another 18ft of kitchen counter top/cabinets.

4) On one side of the kitchen will be the maid's room and on another a service balcony

5) At the top end, we will have the living room separated from the roofed-in balcony by a half wall-half big open windows kind of divider

6) Upstairs will be the standard 3 bedrooms with built-in wardrobes.

We did not know what to do with the diagonal wall in the MBR, but we needed bigger wardrobe space, so we will place our bed between the windows and bathroom.

It's a struggle to balance between aesthetics and functionality, and of course the piggy bank makes the final call.

Hi! Is your place a corner unit? If so, it will be exactly like mine in the same orientation except that my air well is on the right and not left.

I find the space where u intend to place the wardrobe quite wasted and its kinda odd to have the toilet bowl facing the bed IMO. What I did was to have the bed on the same wall as the door, and the wardrobe placed on the extreme left wall. You can consider to have another stretch of wardrode ourside the bathroom if you need more storage. Hope it helps..

Edited by Ms Polar