Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

First, let me put up a disclaimer that I am not defending Alan in any way as I don't benefit from it. However,I would like to suggest another way of looking at the same thing . Hope you don't mind and offend anyone else. :D

1. I think there is a mismatch of expectations between what you wanted and what Alan provides.I think your expectations were not to do so much of hand on work as you currently are doing. I think in this way, maybe an ID with a project manager or site supervisor would be a better match. Pardon me if I am wrong.

If you have read the previous T-blogs who have engaged Alan, you would notice a common them on all them:

a. The owner has been / have to be very engaged in the process.

b. Alan does not talk much and give you updates every week etc.., He will call you when the next item is up to be done, and ask you to meet to sub con to tell what you want and how you want it to be done.

c. He is very busy and very forgetful so you have to remind him and send him emails etc.

d. If there is anything you don't like you can highlight to him and he would get it fixed for you ( if it is fixable at that time you highlighted) and at no extra charge to you so far all of the time for me and that seems to be common theme across other T-blogs too.

e. He is way cheaper than most ID / contractor and especially Mr.K. ;p

Based on the all these themes:

It works very well for people who like to take charge of their own renovation and have the time to do it and want more things to be done for lower costs. It works very well for me as well, if you read my T-blog I have highlighted how engaged I am but that's me.

I like the fact that I get to tell the tiler , electrician , carpenter etc on how I want my things to be done. I draw everything as well as photos to show exactly how things need to be done.

I am like the project manager for my place and I like that. I chase everyone for everything including Alan.

For my carpentry, I got the carpenter to go with me to Blum to see what I am talking about and show exactly what I wanted. They took the time to come with me and look at what I was referring too and took pictures and draw all the carpentry pictures etc there and we confirmed it there.

2. Next, in terms of schedule , Again the part about the owner being very engaged comes into play here. You have to take charge even before the start of the renovation and ask for a breakdown on how things will be done. How long will it take. to complete the renovation ? What about the delays? etc... The point been you have to be very hands on to talk to Alan and get this all sorted out.

For me, I call Alan every week and whenever it is needed to know what is going to happen next, I tend go down to my place and tell the person exactly what I want and if in doubt or if I have disagreement with the respective sub contractor I will call Alan and tell him my issue and he will call and resolve it for me. If the windows are missing, I call and ask where is the window you promised as my tiling is getting delayed because of this etc.....

Does Alan have issues? Yes! Certainly he has, he is very forgetful and you have to keep reminding him. However, I knew that even before I signed the contract with him, Most of the T-bloggers who have engaged him made it clear on that.

So why did I go with Alan even though I know I would have to keep on reminding him and doing all the things?

1. Like what others say, he is a very easy person to talk too if you wants things changed. That is been the case for all the changes I have requested and all the changes at no extra cost.

2. My most important aspect cost! He was 10,000 - 25,000 dollars more cheaper than all the ID's and about 4 - 8000 cheaper than other contractors. He was roughly 40,000 dollars more cheaper than the infamous Mr. K.

3. The quality of work across most and not all T-bloggers is that he has done a good job although they all have complains. However, when I msg them , most of them said they would hire him again.

I wrote this as I want to give an alternative view on how to look whats happening.

Pardon me if I offend anyone with this response. :help::D:P

Thank You.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi jaykr, no worries I know you are not defending Alan and I agree with what you have said. We went into this contract with open eyes and know we have to be more involved in the whole renovation as compared to the others. We also like the fact that without the presence of an ID, we have freedom to coordinate directly with the sub-contractors, thus giving us much say and control.

However what we didn't like of Alan was:

- empty promises. From day one, he was aware that we were renting a place and that the lease is ending. We earlier spoke of living inside the place during the whole renovation period (which Alan was aware as well as all other contractors / IDs that we have met). But to avoid disruption to their work, we paid extra to extend the lease.

Alan said 'no problem' for us to move on 31 May but today is already 20 May. Exclude today, Vesak and weekend, we have exactly 7 days and we are still in the wet works stage. Certainly this is alarming?!

- Uncontactable at times. Alan doesn't pick up calls or reply SMS regularly. We can understand that he may be on the line or engaged in another meeting but he doesn't return calls/ SMS after it. Even if the reply is a day late, it is still better late than never. We have to resort to Mr E being the good cop and me as the bad cop and take turns to text him first (in case he is busy) and then call him if no response. Now we even bet among ourselves to see if he will reply. The most sianz part is that on Whatsapp, you can see his status as 'Online' and that he has read the message but still no reply... Haiz...

On a brighter note, our stairs will be done by today!

8756234515_973b06e3ff_n.jpg

New stairs ;) by Makanology, on Flickr

Haha this wasn't planned so Ah Meng used whatever tiles that were in excess. Pro - color super match/ con - hmmm bears some resemblance to Malay culture but luckily Mr E has Malay blood from his ancestors so pass!

Edited by Makanology

Hi MK,

Thank you for understand. ;p Phew! ;p :P

If he did not keep to his promises, I agree it is a totally different affair. Getting him on Whats App? heheheh I know what you exactly mean. I always see him on Gmail chat but I don't think so he even checks or knows how to check? ;P

In terms of your promise, tell him about your worries and ask him what if he is not able to deliver by that date? What then ? that's what I do. If he says he can deliver, then get in writing and tell him if he doesn't deliver would he willing to pay for the extended lease? be direct.

I do what is basic. I call him and then leave him a SMS telling him to call me. He usually does call me back but not immediately. The only time he calls me back immediately is if there is an issue and he knows because his Sub con called him or he knows something new is happening.

I kinda knew this from reading the other blogs as well as when I was negotiating the contract, he was not a easy person to get.

gotta go...talk later.

Hi jaykr, no worries I know you are not defending Alan and I agree with what you have said. We went into this contract with open eyes and know we have to be more involved in the whole renovation as compared to the others. We also like the fact that without the presence of an ID, we have freedom to coordinate directly with the sub-contractors, thus giving us much say and control.

However what we didn't like of Alan was:
- empty promises. From day one, he was aware that we were renting a place and that the lease is ending. We earlier spoke of living inside the place during the whole renovation period (which Alan was aware as well as all other contractors / IDs that we have met). But to avoid disruption to their work, we paid extra to extend the lease.

Alan said 'no problem' for us to move on 31 May but today is already 20 May. Exclude today, Vesak and weekend, we have exactly 7 days and we are still in the wet works stage. Certainly this is alarming?!

- Uncontactable at times. Alan doesn't pick up calls or reply SMS regularly. We can understand that he may be on the line or engaged in another meeting but he doesn't return calls/ SMS after it. Even if the reply is a day late, it is still better late than never. We have to resort to Mr E being the good cop and me as the bad cop and take turns to text him first (in case he is busy) and then call him if no response. Now we even bet among ourselves to see if he will reply. The most sianz part is that on Whatsapp, you can see his status as 'Online' and that he has read the message but still no reply... Haiz...

Hi jaykr, hope your carpentry comes out in time before you leave for US. Oh ya go check out Howard's World Storage @ Vivo. If you like what you see there, chances of finding the same stuff in US is higher and at better rates!

Hi jaykr, hope your carpentry comes out in time before you leave for US. Oh ya go check out Howard's World Storage @ Vivo. If you like what you see there, chances of finding the same stuff in US is higher and at better rates!

Like the stuff @ Howards. Bou some stuff frm there but they r d**n exp - overly priced - lor! Got to be selective. Went Australia earlier this yr but din manage to find time to hunt around.. not sure if cheaper but sure much better range ba!

Edited by jus4fun

First, let me put up a disclaimer that I am not defending Alan in any way as I don't benefit from it. However,I would like to suggest another way of looking at the same thing . Hope you don't mind and offend anyone else. :D

1. I think there is a mismatch of expectations between what you wanted and what Alan provides.I think your expectations were not to do so much of hand on work as you currently are doing. I think in this way, maybe an ID with a project manager or site supervisor would be a better match. Pardon me if I am wrong.

If you have read the previous T-blogs who have engaged Alan, you would notice a common them on all them:

a. The owner has been / have to be very engaged in the process.

b. Alan does not talk much and give you updates every week etc.., He will call you when the next item is up to be done, and ask you to meet to sub con to tell what you want and how you want it to be done.

c. He is very busy and very forgetful so you have to remind him and send him emails etc.

d. If there is anything you don't like you can highlight to him and he would get it fixed for you ( if it is fixable at that time you highlighted) and at no extra charge to you so far all of the time for me and that seems to be common theme across other T-blogs too.

e. He is way cheaper than most ID / contractor and especially Mr.K. ;p

Based on the all these themes:

It works very well for people who like to take charge of their own renovation and have the time to do it and want more things to be done for lower costs. It works very well for me as well, if you read my T-blog I have highlighted how engaged I am but that's me.

I like the fact that I get to tell the tiler , electrician , carpenter etc on how I want my things to be done. I draw everything as well as photos to show exactly how things need to be done.

I am like the project manager for my place and I like that. I chase everyone for everything including Alan.

For my carpentry, I got the carpenter to go with me to Blum to see what I am talking about and show exactly what I wanted. They took the time to come with me and look at what I was referring too and took pictures and draw all the carpentry pictures etc there and we confirmed it there.

2. Next, in terms of schedule , Again the part about the owner being very engaged comes into play here. You have to take charge even before the start of the renovation and ask for a breakdown on how things will be done. How long will it take. to complete the renovation ? What about the delays? etc... The point been you have to be very hands on to talk to Alan and get this all sorted out.

For me, I call Alan every week and whenever it is needed to know what is going to happen next, I tend go down to my place and tell the person exactly what I want and if in doubt or if I have disagreement with the respective sub contractor I will call Alan and tell him my issue and he will call and resolve it for me. If the windows are missing, I call and ask where is the window you promised as my tiling is getting delayed because of this etc.....

Does Alan have issues? Yes! Certainly he has, he is very forgetful and you have to keep reminding him. However, I knew that even before I signed the contract with him, Most of the T-bloggers who have engaged him made it clear on that.

So why did I go with Alan even though I know I would have to keep on reminding him and doing all the things?

1. Like what others say, he is a very easy person to talk too if you wants things changed. That is been the case for all the changes I have requested and all the changes at no extra cost.

2. My most important aspect cost! He was 10,000 - 25,000 dollars more cheaper than all the ID's and about 4 - 8000 cheaper than other contractors. He was roughly 40,000 dollars more cheaper than the infamous Mr. K.

3. The quality of work across most and not all T-bloggers is that he has done a good job although they all have complains. However, when I msg them , most of them said they would hire him again.

I wrote this as I want to give an alternative view on how to look whats happening.

Pardon me if I offend anyone with this response. :help::D:P

Thank You.

Hi,

Just to confirm, is the difference between Alan and mr k 40k ? 40k is way too much

Hi,

Just to confirm, is the difference between Alan and mr k 40k ? 40k is way too much

Not sure for jaykr cos his is a EA. for our 3-roomer, the difference is about $13-15k.

Glad to know that you have chosen K. Think for BTO, there is not much hidden / unnecessary cost like resale so I think K's cost for BTO would be quite attractive.

HI MK,

Since I am traveling to U.S for two weeks, I actually told Alan to move my carpentry stuff until I am back. I want to be there when they do the carpentry especially for Kitchen cabinets. In the meanwhile they should finish all the other stuff so that the only thing left would be carpentry and the related items that go with the carpentry. :P

So M.K any ideas what I should look out for in U.S. that I should be able to get cheaper there than in Singapore?

I went to Howard's World Storage in Millenia Walk and already noted some things to buy but was wondering if I can get cheaper elsewhere as some of the items are pretty ex although very appeaing...;P

Didn;t know U.S had Howard Storage, gotta check if the place I am going too has this. ;p

I was thinking of getting Simple Human Auto Soap Dispenser.

Hi Macuser 77,

For my E.A. that was the difference in cost between Mr. K and Alan. I was excited to get K's quoted and was shocked to see the the total cost. The difference was 40K. I was wondering why there is such a big gap, K said its because he uses quality materials and the quality of his workers. I felt 40K was too much ...and the quality and materials can't be that much of difference.

Some of the ID's also came near to 30 - 35 K.

Hi,

Hi Makanology, hope Alan will step up the reno this week and fulfill his promise to you! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Not sure for jaykr cos his is a EA. for our 3-roomer, the difference is about $13-15k.

Glad to know that you have chosen K. Think for BTO, there is not much hidden / unnecessary cost like resale so I think K's cost for BTO would be quite attractive.

Hi Macuser 77,

Hi MK,

15k is a lot. If I approached Alan I'd go for him too! Anyway don't worry too much re your reno. 船到桥头自然直.

For my E.A. that was the difference in cost between Mr. K and Alan. I was excited to get K's quoted and was shocked to see the the total cost. The difference was 40K. I was wondering why there is such a big gap, K said its because he uses quality materials and the quality of his workers. I felt 40K was too much ...and the quality and materials can't be that much of difference.

Some of the ID's also came near to 30 - 35 K.

Hi jaykr

30 to 35k is really alot! We actually thought there was a typo haha! we asked him too re the quote for our floor tiles ( as it was higher than that quoted by IDs). He explained to us that it was due to the labour costs and workmanship involved for wood tiles.

Edited by macuser77

Hi MK,

15k is a lot. If I approached Alan I'd go for him too! Anyway don't worry too much re your reno. 船到桥头自然直.

Sorry tech dummy here. Don't know how to multi quote...

Hi June, thanks!!! If we can cross our fingers, toes, limbs and eyes to get smooth progress, we will definitely do it lol

Hi macuser, don't worry. I gave up figuring how to use the multi quote. K is right about extra labour cost for wood tiles. It is really not easy to lay that!

Edited by Makanology