Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi jay, didn't know you are using Blum = wah! So envious!

Haha we don't think there is a Howard Storage in US but there are Macy's, Walmat, Lowe, Home Depot etc... You will be spoilt for choices!

Brands to go: Simple Human, Joseph Joseph, Pyrex, Zgliss, Kitchenaid etc. Go for non-electrical stuff as US is mostly on 110V whereas we are under 220-240V, otherwise you have to fix a transformer which may affect the product lifespan. Though I read from Kim's thread that Vornado air ventilator and the iRobot vacuum cleaner are very good buys in US. Also the Kitchenaid mixer & accessories... Great buys there!

Dammit, I am so jealous of your Blum & coming trip now!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi MK,

Yup...yup...doing Full Blum solution not just runners for the entire kitchen including servo drive for the drawers. :notti:

But you would be surprised and shocked if I told you the cost. It is way cheaper than most people spend on Blum and only for part of their Kitchen. I am getting all the parts necessary myself and pass it to the carpenter. The installation is free of charge.

There is more to come. Hopefully the carpentry turns out the way I expect it to turn out. :D

I am going for a project trip so most of the time will be busy working till like 7a.m - 8 p.m. But once the weekend comes then I would go shopping and see what I can buy. I was thinking of getting a Vornado too but not sure if it would be too bulky and not possible to carry it along with my other baggage. I gotta see what I can do there. Don't think so will buy bulky stuff maybe the small things so I can pack them all in my luggage. ;p

Hi jay, didn't know you are using Blum = wah! So envious!

Haha we don't think there is a Howard Storage in US but there are Macy's, Walmat, Lowe, Home Depot etc... You will be spoilt for choices!
Brands to go: Simple Human, Joseph Joseph, Pyrex, Zgliss, Kitchenaid etc. Go for non-electrical stuff as US is mostly on 110V whereas we are under 220-240V, otherwise you have to fix a transformer which may affect the product lifespan. Though I read from Kim's thread that Vornado air ventilator and the iRobot vacuum cleaner are very good buys in US. Also the Kitchenaid mixer & accessories... Great buys there!

Dammit, I am so jealous of your Blum & coming trip now!

First, let me put up a disclaimer that I am not defending Alan in any way as I don't benefit from it. However,I would like to suggest another way of looking at the same thing . Hope you don't mind and offend anyone else. :D

1. I think there is a mismatch of expectations between what you wanted and what Alan provides.I think your expectations were not to do so much of hand on work as you currently are doing. I think in this way, maybe an ID with a project manager or site supervisor would be a better match. Pardon me if I am wrong.

If you have read the previous T-blogs who have engaged Alan, you would notice a common them on all them:

a. The owner has been / have to be very engaged in the process.

b. Alan does not talk much and give you updates every week etc.., He will call you when the next item is up to be done, and ask you to meet to sub con to tell what you want and how you want it to be done.

c. He is very busy and very forgetful so you have to remind him and send him emails etc.

d. If there is anything you don't like you can highlight to him and he would get it fixed for you ( if it is fixable at that time you highlighted) and at no extra charge to you so far all of the time for me and that seems to be common theme across other T-blogs too.

e. He is way cheaper than most ID / contractor and especially Mr.K. ;p

Based on the all these themes:

It works very well for people who like to take charge of their own renovation and have the time to do it and want more things to be done for lower costs. It works very well for me as well, if you read my T-blog I have highlighted how engaged I am but that's me.

I like the fact that I get to tell the tiler , electrician , carpenter etc on how I want my things to be done. I draw everything as well as photos to show exactly how things need to be done.

I am like the project manager for my place and I like that. I chase everyone for everything including Alan.

For my carpentry, I got the carpenter to go with me to Blum to see what I am talking about and show exactly what I wanted. They took the time to come with me and look at what I was referring too and took pictures and draw all the carpentry pictures etc there and we confirmed it there.

2. Next, in terms of schedule , Again the part about the owner being very engaged comes into play here. You have to take charge even before the start of the renovation and ask for a breakdown on how things will be done. How long will it take. to complete the renovation ? What about the delays? etc... The point been you have to be very hands on to talk to Alan and get this all sorted out.

For me, I call Alan every week and whenever it is needed to know what is going to happen next, I tend go down to my place and tell the person exactly what I want and if in doubt or if I have disagreement with the respective sub contractor I will call Alan and tell him my issue and he will call and resolve it for me. If the windows are missing, I call and ask where is the window you promised as my tiling is getting delayed because of this etc.....

Does Alan have issues? Yes! Certainly he has, he is very forgetful and you have to keep reminding him. However, I knew that even before I signed the contract with him, Most of the T-bloggers who have engaged him made it clear on that.

So why did I go with Alan even though I know I would have to keep on reminding him and doing all the things?

1. Like what others say, he is a very easy person to talk too if you wants things changed. That is been the case for all the changes I have requested and all the changes at no extra cost.

2. My most important aspect cost! He was 10,000 - 25,000 dollars more cheaper than all the ID's and about 4 - 8000 cheaper than other contractors. He was roughly 40,000 dollars more cheaper than the infamous Mr. K.

3. The quality of work across most and not all T-bloggers is that he has done a good job although they all have complains. However, when I msg them , most of them said they would hire him again.

I wrote this as I want to give an alternative view on how to look whats happening.

Pardon me if I offend anyone with this response. :help::D:P

Thank You.

Initially wanted to get a quote frm him but was worried abt him being too busy n forgetful.. But after reading abt his workmanship and most importantly, the fact that his quotes are usually among the lowest, I'm tempted to give him a call.. Heh! Do u mind giving me his contact? TIA!

Hi redder, if you can afford time to manage the renovation yourself and keep an eye (daily eye for us. Mr E is now there everyday during their work hours) on the works, then you can consider Alan: 9889 2008.

There is another ID that we now regret not choosing her-Dorothy. Have a feeling that she may be better in monitoring and her cost equally competitive as compared to Alan's. her email is inlookz@yahoo.com good luck!

Feeling down so to drive away the blues, we went shopping just now. Bought the world's 1st Tui Na leg massager:

http://www.osim.com/SG/product/uphoria.aspx?category_id=FFBA8A28-657E-4447-B54C-F5BB675C962F

8758700582_790d89254d.jpg

Osim uPhoria by Makanology, on Flickr

Age is certainly catching up and both Mr E and I use this all the time at my Mom's place. It is time to invest in our own.

Wahhhh.....

Got no money for Blum but got money for massager....heheheheheh :bleah:

Feeling down so to drive away the blues, we went shopping just now. Bought the world's 1st Tui Na leg massager:
http://www.osim.com/SG/product/uphoria.aspx?category_id=FFBA8A28-657E-4447-B54C-F5BB675C962F
8758700582_790d89254d.jpg
Osim uPhoria by Makanology, on Flickr

Age is certainly catching up and both Mr E and I use this all the time at my Mom's place. It is time to invest in our own.

Blum would cost more than this right? We use this daily so when we divide the cost by 365 days, each day would cost us $2 roughly. Where to get a foot massage at this price? Lol

People would come up with just about any justification to get what they want.... :rolleyes: heheheh

Blum would cost more than this right? We use this daily so when we divide the cost by 365 days, each day would cost us $2 roughly. Where to get a foot massage at this price? Lol

Hi redder, if you can afford time to manage the renovation yourself and keep an eye (daily eye for us. Mr E is now there everyday during their work hours) on the works, then you can consider Alan: 9889 2008.

There is another ID that we now regret not choosing her-Dorothy. Have a feeling that she may be better in monitoring and her cost equally competitive as compared to Alan's. her email is inlookz@yahoo.com good luck!

Hihi,

Dorothy tiler named 小黑。is very nice. He look very fierce but gentle inside. You can ask him to redo without any problem.

She is really not calculative, i did all my switches double gang power socket and i asked her how much to top up. She say no need lah. 随便啦。

But you must have your own ideas else she will give you standard HDB designs based on what she did.

Dorothy is very nice lady, She even gave me ang pow for my wedding and ask me to treat my wife well!

The finishing uncle spokes well of her and he is very meticulous.

Hi vacanthost, long time no speak... Dammit, we are regretting not opting for Dorothy. Anyways now that we are stuck in our renovation, have to just bite and bear it all the way

Hi vacanthost, long time no speak... Dammit, we are regretting not opting for Dorothy. Anyways now that we are stuck in our renovation, have to just bite and bear it all the way

I don't think you made a bad choice. Perhaps just bad timing. Lessons learn is that, ask the ID how many projects do they have and when are they completing.

One persons attention is only so much. This is something i have learned.

Hi vacanthost, tks for e review! Can I have her no. pls so I can call her and Alan ltr today. Tks!

MK, hope Alan will speed things up for u and wont cock up anymore.. Cant wait to see the complete reno!

Your brown staircase tiles, do you consider using brown silicon to cover the black lines in between. It may look seamless.

Hi vacanthost, tks for e review! Can I have her no. pls so I can call her and Alan ltr today. Tks!

MK, hope Alan will speed things up for u and wont cock up anymore.. Cant wait to see the complete reno!

Just for record. I DON'T MAKE COMMISSION FOR RECOMMENDATIONS.

It's out of goodwill. Her Tiler is Xiao Hei, Electrician is Bobby, Carpentry is Ah Xian., The finishing uncle i forget his name liao, stays in johor near KSL.

Say Alex@retro clementi recommend one. Better give good price! Dorothy 94507007.