Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Allo

Greycat & Brownmse New Hme

I cldnt find defects.....tried as I might, I can oni say at most dat my tiles nt very aligned..... :dunno:

so wishd at hdb can chg my tiles man cuz all I wantd is white color tiles.... :)

Gog dwn to meet contractor dis weekend at his shop to get his detailed quote....

Met him at new hse last weekend n was in a rush so I askd him to add in alota thgs (such as curved laminate platform, hack n redo whole toilet etc)....in the end, he told me final quote was abt 30K :good:! :D;)

So gog dwn to see wer's the bulk of it hee...

prolly nt....no point gog dwn to empty flat hehehe....prolly gog to meet contractor...

wat massive lotsa carpentry work u doing!?!??

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I cldnt find defects.....tried as I might, I can oni say at most dat my tiles nt very aligned..... :dunno:

so wishd at hdb can chg my tiles man cuz all I wantd is white color tiles.... :)

Gog dwn to meet contractor dis weekend at his shop to get his detailed quote....

Met him at new hse last weekend n was in a rush so I askd him to add in alota thgs (such as curved laminate platform, hack n redo whole toilet etc)....in the end, he told me final quote was abt 30K :good:! :D;)

So gog dwn to see wer's the bulk of it hee...

prolly nt....no point gog dwn to empty flat hehehe....prolly gog to meet contractor...

hi greycat, u planning to re-do the toilets tiles again?

hi greycat, u planning to re-do the toilets tiles again?

Hihi...

Yup planng to re-do the toilet...

If hacking n relaying new tiles, all-in-all costs abt 2-3K I thk.... :D

but reali cant stand the MBR toilet in pink!:bangwall::bow:

wat massive lotsa carpentry work u doing!?!??

Hee....becuz I wantd eberything in the quote lor...... :D

As it was our 1st time meeting the contractor, kiasu me decidd to get the uncle to quote everyting....

(as in all types of scenarios).... :dancingqueen:

So extra things such as curved wooden laminate platform n hack n redo whole toilet also throw in liao...

but 30K is actuali the high figure bah....if take out the "extra things" and throw in discount (which he said definitely got lah)...den shd b 20K+ bah....

My quote includes hacking of wall to do WIW, n do a 13-14feet full-ht WIW n kitchen cabinet, window + grill for necessary area etc...

We r still meeting another 2 mre contractors to get the feel even though contractor no 1 here (let's call him Lao-Fu-Zi cuz he does look like one) is pretty reasonable. Most imptly, we felt he's quite honest n in fact told us, we cld save on sme areas by nt doing unnecessary stuff.... :good:

Hihi,

Just a quick update.....we've managed to get H*B to change our ugly tiles!:D! (for the kitchen wall tiles for now).....so happi!:dunno:! :dunno:

A pat on the head for BrownMse who took time frm work to meet the H*B contractor.....hee

The stopwatch stops counting now....wonder how long it will take for them to redo my kitchen tiles.... :unsure:

Oh yah, visited the barang barang midnite sales recently (at Paya Lebar there)....and bought 2 items....

1) the milano daybed / lounge chair

2) an acrylic wine rack

In fact, all items bght for our new hse is all frm barang barang for the moment, includes a cube stool bought earlier frm harborfrnt closing sales....

Milano Lounge chair

milanoloungechairbx7.th.gif

Got this in dark brown color...we named it "cube-cube" affectionately as it's our 1st piece of furniture... :P

cubestoolbn3.gif

Harlo storeberry, we got the cube-cube mre than 6mths ago at abt $99...thk its still available at barang-barang :jawdrop:

Btw, quick update on work done......

We're in midst of HDB rectifications.....it's a painfully looong process....

1) The kitchen tiles hacked and relayed with white tiles (or so Brownmse claims). Greycat here thks its grey tiles. In fact, after site-visit by Greycat, I confirm its not white tiles, canot understand why Brownmse is color-blind :jawdrop: ....but anyways, here r the pics:

White/Grey tiles re-layed on in kitchen after the old tiles were hacked off:

greytiles1va8.th.jpg

greytiles2oc0.th.jpg

greytiles3qe7.th.jpg

greytiles4hu8.th.jpg

Discovered a prob when we thot the job's done....the edge of the tiles at the entrance was jutting out & no protector edge was layed on it :dunno: .....

Lucky we went bac to check n argue w HDB contractor..they even broke off my doorkeys! si-bei boil man... :(

Here's the pic to prove it....

Picture (1): top n eight edge was "plastered" but it's actuali uneven. Left egde has a smooth protector edge

problem1fw3.th.jpg

Pictuee (2): right edge is out by 0.5cm? HDB contractor tried to use plaster to cover up error. I ar-boil n tell him to saw, hack, re-lay n plaster flush 1 mre time......He better do his job, ar-bo Im gonna complain!! :notti:

problem2ik1.th.jpg

Also bought 2 items over wkend during Cellini sale :curse:

The dining table is the longer version at 1.7m (can squeeze 3 pax on length), was thkg of buyg the shorter version (1.4m) for studyrm, den when alota guests come, can combine 2 tables together....unfortunately, it was a tad too heavy 4 moving ard le, so we oni bght 1. :curse:

1) Manhattan Dining Table (black tempered glass) at $704 nett

cellinidiningtableaw6.th.jpg

2) Manhattan Coffee Table at $352 nett

cellinicoffeetablegs0.th.jpg

Bought sme mre items for our hse this weekend at the Evovliving sale, been dwn at all 3 of their branches to look at their showpc n today, their GSS finally started!

Item (1) Showroom Sofa set (2seater + daybed)

Decided to get the showpiece at 50%, 2mths old n it looks alrite... :)

sofapn5.th.jpg

Item (2) Frank Dining Table (White marble top, treated + stainless steel legs)

Decided to not buy the dining chairs first...cldnt find a good fit yet....

diningtablexw3.th.jpg

Item (3) Our TV Console--Mirage series frm Evovliving as well

2m long, black-color mirrors to match my black color coffee table

Comes with 2 deep drawers on the sides, and a flap dwn on the top....

Wantd to buy the bronze mirror version but it din really match my grey sofa n coffee table :)

tvconsolekn7.th.jpg

Edited by Greycat

Another update on mre purchases!!! This GSS n reno-shopping is realli draining the blood frm our pockets!~ :bleah::P

Went to dis neighborhood shop in West Coast to buy sme electrical applicances tdy, name is "Woodlxxds Domestxx", finally bght the fisher n paykel fridge whichwe been eyeing for veli long....but got it in white color (cheaper by $400 than e stainless steel wan)....

Stayed for 2.5hrs in e shop n bght 6 items altogether!:dunno: shop-uncle was veli powderful...I bargain veli long oso cldnt get mre discounts!! But gotta admit they're pretty cheap liao... :)

Picutre of the lookalike, lifted frm their website :P

fridgezj1.th.jpg

Fisher n Paykel washing machine (7.5kg) in white color (top open door)

wmde9.th.jpg

Fisher n paykel Dryer (5kg), can be mounted upside dwn (frnt open door)

dryerlu2.th.jpg

Hob n hood frm Rinnai

Hob--stainless steel + 3 burners

Hood--800m3 (3 panel charcoal filter)

rh985cgj9.jpg

Edited by Greycat

Hi All!!

Finally registered as a user and joined the forums.

As you can see, greycat has been busy updating the blog while i am no where to be found.

Firstly, I must thank Greycat for all her efforts. Otherwise i dun think the renovations would have started at all. HAHA.

will definitely pop by more often with updates!!

rb3vln9.jpg

Update on HDB rectifications.....

We have finally settled the dust on HDB contractor no 1 (where they rectified my kitchen tiles).

Episode 2 with HDB contractor no 2. CAPSTxxx company !!

On 24th May, me n hubby took a day leave to meet e HDB contractor no2 as we were supposed to choose our toilet tiles for e rectifications. Meeting time 10am.

At 930am, we realised we were gonna be late so we re-arrangd to 1030am. Hubby calld contact person at this company. At 1030am, we reached to find a bangla (no offence) sitting at our door. We open door n wait, bangla proceeds to do work (hack e toilet tiles). At 11am, nobody come yet to show us any tiles. Meanwhile, we call this company's contact person again ( a very rude auntie) n she claims dat her contractor is sending all the workers to work n can oni meet us at 1pm. :bleah:

After much arguing n negotiation n endless waiting, the contractor finally appeared at 1230+... :dunno:

Horrors, this was worse! At least HDB contractor no1 was someone I could communicate with. This Bangla contractor cldnt reali speak english n they didnt appear to have our HDB keys at all. When hubby asked if they would be locking our doors over the weekend, he just shake n nod his head together. It's a miracle dat we can choose our tiles n he can understand which tiles we wantd for floor n walls. We found out laters dat they did not lock our house at all over e weekend as they didnt bother to get the keys at all. Problem finally rectified after we complain to HDB TO...

Cement screedng has started n hopefully, they can get the tilings correct for both toilets. Keeping my fingers crossed! Will update further....

Oh yah...left out picture for my hob...hee :P

rb3vln9.jpg

The HDB rectifications have been a nightmare.

Firstly, they did not lock up our house for 4 days.

Secondly, they certainly took their sweet time to do the job.

Thirdly, despite the fact that they took so long to finish the job, they managed to do a really bad job of it.

For example, despite specific instructions not to put the toilet bowl back.. they proceeded to put the wc back on... GOOD JOB!

The kerb at both entrances were not tiled up despite repeated reminders to do so.

They did not fix the 1 pc of kitchen wall tile that they manage to pry out despite me reminding them to do so.

Finally decided that enough was enough.. give me 1 box of each tile type and get lost!..... Our own contractor was kind enough to offer to rectify for us... hope he dun charge us.

Some pictures of our newly tiled toilets to follow.

A quick update

After much dragging our feet abt it n much discussion/argument/frustration over e final reno design, alas! We have signed with our contractor and started reno works.

Our "Dong-Tu" was on 24th Jun (Sunday) and our contractor was kind enuff to sacrifice his Sunday morn church to come n help us...apparently, dat was a gd day n many other hses were "Dong-Tu-ing" as well. hehehe :notti:

To describe my contractor sourcing process, we basically askd ard frm frens/colleagues for reliable recommendations n shortlisted 3.

1) Chinese speaking contractor who was honest n provided full quote. We oso visitd his shop n seen his pictures of other houses he did. But in the end, didnt sign up wif him as we felt dat we cldnt communicate well wif him (in terms of design terms n ideas). Quote was quite ok lah....

2) Hokkien speaking sub-con who was v hands-on. He brought us to other hses renovatd by him to show us his finishing n ideas. When we saw his quote though, we realised dat he was tagging on to an ID firm n his quote din show many exp items eg. cupboards. Final quote wld b expensive. :jawdrop:

3) English speaking contractor who gave us a very clear n precise quote. He was oso v professional n highlighted what we can do to improve the quality of finishings. Surprisingly, his quote was cheap too.

Finally, contractor no3 won us over..What made us decide to sign up wif him was probably his professionalism. He was unable to answer our questions on hacking, construction etc n he gaf us alternatives when we posed him questions. For example, we r gonna close off a door n board it up. Contractor 2 told us to use a cupboard to hide it. But contractor no3 highlighted that when done, the walls wld haf different finishing n we wld need plastering to even it out, b4 painting.

Well, so far reno works haf just startd 1 day (actual work startd tdy) n it seems to b full force. In fact, the workers haf startd tiling on Day 1, cldnt believe it... :)

Me gonna let pictures do the talking.

A big pat on e back for BrownMse who went dwn to our hse tdy to check on reno n buy workers drinks n kopi. :D

Hacked a door size for connecting my MBR to BR2, will put a sliding door here. Room looks brighter nw.

P1030599.jpg

Frm my MBR. Wall on right wld b used to mount TV most probably...

P1030600.jpg

View on BR2 (WIW rm). Looks at my MBR toilet door, gonna be in line.....

P1030601.jpg

View frm BR3 (baby's room in future). BR2 door gonna b concealed so dat only entrance wld b frm MBR.

P1030602.jpg

Workers laying hom-tiles in living room, v excited!!! Clap clap!!! :dribble:

P1030603.jpg

My kitchen looking out to my scvc balcony. Teared away the door n window. Smething exciting coming up!

Don b mistaken, the doors there are jus teared out frm my bedrms, dunno why e workers lef it there....

P1030604.jpg

A view of wat's outside my door. Plants were put up by neighbors so I haf a free greenview, hehehehe. good for lazy me n BrownMse... :notti:

Btw, see dat strip near e rightside of wall dats not tiled? BrownMse claims dat when he went to see reno, workers told hm to squeeze btw n walk btw dat thin 10cm strip....hahahahahhahaha!!!! (Evil me....)

P1030607.jpg

Hacked away my balcony door to enlarge my living area. Unfortunately, smething unexpected came up.

(Refer to 2nd picture below) The 10cm strip of wall behind the teared dwn balcny door cannot b removed, it is a pillar. Sigh. A bit disappointed.... :(

P1030608.jpg

P1030609.jpg

Last picture: View of hse when u first step in at main door. I like the windows nw but too bad, die die gotta put window oso.....looks so bright nw..

P1030611.jpg

Hi Greycat, you have started your renovation finally! !!

Thanks for the picture updates... did u do alot of carpentry?