Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zihui

Mission Impossible

2) EF Slimline Cooker Hood ($350) [We wanted a chimney hood but they were too expensive. We were also very hesitant about getting a hood from EF but in the end, we caved because of the chimney hood motor and the strong suction]

U got the Fujioh hob why didn't you get the FX-900V as part of the typical hob/hood package? Standalone FX900V is typically <400 delivered. We heavily cook virtually everyday and the oily fumes retention performance is superb. Only thing is it cannot really retain the smell but I have not heard of any in the market could do so effectively.

Suction is not all that matters. A good hood needs proper catchment (i.e. wide enough to catch the fumes generated by the cooking) and well designed internal airflow that will slow the fumes passing through the hood sufficiently so that the oil particles will get trapped either in trays or filters, and then exit through the end without too much interference. Filter-based hoods typically require very powerful airflow rating because of the obstruction (i.e. the filters). Fujioh ones does not have filter but they have a so-called rectifier panel that draws in the exhaust air from all around the hob, and then slows it down internally to trap the grease before the fan pumps the exhaust out at the top.

As for the burners - you get an additional small burner because there are times you may want to use just a small flame to cook something - e.g. baby porridge in claypot, instant noodles etc, warm up a small portion of soup etc, and where even the small flame on large burner would end up nuking it.

This is for the information of others who are considering the same thing. Only thing is cost / and space constraint on your countertop as some homes have very limited working space and need to save every inch they could.

Edited by ucypmas

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It's mise en place *ahem* that's what Gordon, Jamie [other celebratory chef names] call it. Hee

Actually I considered the fx900 hood cos the oil retention is very good. But it was too bulky and not aesthetically in line. So superficial of me. Lol

hahahaha that's a very good point. I'm not at that stage where a difference in specs makes a huge difference to me.

Cooking simple stuff from time to time is perfectly fine.

Just don't be like my HTB - he makes an entire production out of cooking. He watches too many reality food shows and starts to fancy himself as some sort of expert on cooking. It's like backseat driving - when I'm making pasta for example, he walks into the kitchen suddenly and goes, "Remember to use some of the water that you boiled the pasta in for the sauces. That's what David Rocco says to do." or "Make sure you don't double dip when you're tasting the food. Gordon hates that." (Now he's on a first name basis with the celebrity chefs?)

When it's his turn to cook... oh my god... the mess that he creates. He makes such a big deal out of 'preparing the required ingredients beforehand', slaves over the stove, sweats buckets... only to produce a simple aglio olio pasta. *facepalm* The way he goes on about it, I half expected an entire 8 course feast hahahahah

It's mise en place *ahem* that's what Gordon, Jamie [other celebratory chef names] call it. Hee

Actually I considered the fx900 hood cos the oil retention is very good. But it was too bulky and not aesthetically in line. So superficial of me. Lol

I absolutely agree with you!!!

That's one of the main reasons why i didn't go for it too! hahahahaha

*facepalm*

*mutters to self* Not another one... ... thinks he's on a first name basis with them... ... :curse:

U got the Fujioh hob why didn't you get the FX-900V as part of the typical hob/hood package? Standalone FX900V is typically <400 delivered. We heavily cook virtually everyday and the oily fumes retention performance is superb. Only thing is it cannot really retain the smell but I have not heard of any in the market could do so effectively.

Hi ucypmas!!

That's a very good question!

Based on the recommendations that we got from the RT forums, I also had my heart set on the Fujioh FX-900V because I've read so much about the superb fumes retention.

However, I was dismayed when I saw how bulky it was... *shame*

To make myself sound less bimbotic, another reason was because 2 separate salesmen were telling us that even though the suction is extremely good for the FX-900V, to clean it thoroughly is quite difficult because we'll have to break out the screwdriver (or was this nonsense?) unlike other brands where the cleaning process is a lot simplier

that's why frankly speaking, the oven and the hob were easy choices. The hood on the other hand, took a lot of debating. In the end we settled on the EF hood because aesthetically it was more streamlined without compromising on the suction capabilities... hope I don't end up regretting it *fingers crossed*

Suction is not all that matters. A good hood needs proper catchment (i.e. wide enough to catch the fumes generated by the cooking) and well designed internal airflow that will slow the fumes passing through the hood sufficiently so that the oil particles will get trapped either in trays or filters, and then exit through the end without too much interference. Filter-based hoods typically require very powerful airflow rating because of the obstruction (i.e. the filters). Fujioh ones does not have filter but they have a so-called rectifier panel that draws in the exhaust air from all around the hob, and then slows it down internally to trap the grease before the fan pumps the exhaust out at the top.

As for the burners - you get an additional small burner because there are times you may want to use just a small flame to cook something - e.g. baby porridge in claypot, instant noodles etc, warm up a small portion of soup etc, and where even the small flame on large burner would end up nuking it.

This is for the information of others who are considering the same thing. Only thing is cost / and space constraint on your countertop as some homes have very limited working space and need to save every inch they could.

That's very good information ucypas!

Now i'm beginning to doubt my purchases... ...

*sad*

That's very good information ucypas!

Now i'm beginning to doubt my purchases... ...

*sad*

don't doubt yourself..everyone has different needs and wants. Some people go for functionality and performance, some go for aesthetics while others swear by brands. Since you spent some time thinking about the choices, you must have made a careful decision based on your needs and budget. :) I spent a few months considering what to buy and I'm happy with my choices so far.

don't doubt yourself..everyone has different needs and wants. Some people go for functionality and performance, some go for aesthetics while others swear by brands. Since you spent some time thinking about the choices, you must have made a careful decision based on your needs and budget. :) I spent a few months considering what to buy and I'm happy with my choices so far.

Thank you June. You're absolutely right.

That's what my HTB always says as well - I need to be more decisive and not to regret the purchases. The worst thing we can supposedly do is to go around comparing prices after we've confirmed the purchases. ucypas has many valid points and I thank him for taking the time out to share the pointers with all of us. The information that he posted is extremely useful, whether it's for people who are still looking to buy their kitchen appliances or even for me (when i wish to upgrade the appliances or for the next house).

The choosing of the hob wasn't difficult. The Bosch oven was a no brainer.

However, we wavered over the selection of the hood for a long time. The only reason why we settled for this particular hood in the end was because based on our strict budget constraints, this is probably one of the few that we could consider. So we went against our gut feelings (both of us aren't fond of EF, especially when compared to other brands) and settled for this hood. Maybe this explains the self-doubt

another reason was because 2 separate salesmen were telling us that even though the suction is extremely good for the FX-900V, to clean it thoroughly is quite difficult because we'll have to break out the screwdriver (or was this nonsense?)

Hi - please don't take offense I would like to say that the salesmen have been telling you nonsense. For those who go and view the Fujioh FX-900 and get this BS please ask them to dismantle three things for you to see

1) plastic oil trap tray (usually I will fill this with water as it makes it easier to wash after a few days of oil collection)

2) rectifier panel

3) internal metal filter

None of the above items will need a screwdriver. When all 3 comes off you can wash all three with soapy liquid. 80-90% of the oil residue retained by the hood will be in these three traps. The fan is one piece of equipment where you will need a screwdriver to take off and wash, but I have not seen the need to clean it that way yet after nearly 2 years - and nearly daily cooking now. Usually a wet cloth wrapped around a finger can wipe off the dust and some of the grime sufficiently not for it to be an issue.

Obviously this cannot beat the "convenience" of filter-based hoods where you just change the filter paper and be done with it (mostly). However you will still need to wash the three metal grid panels facing the hob - extent of oil lodged there will depend on type and length of usage. I have used a chimney-based hood with filter before and it looks nice, but that is about the extent of its utility, but again like what someone has said everyone has different needs and preferences.

Please note I am not a Fujioh salesman - just sharing my experience and hopefully people will find it useful and make more informed decisions about what they buy.

Hi - please don't take offense I would like to say that the salesmen have been telling you nonsense. For those who go and view the Fujioh FX-900 and get this BS please ask them to dismantle three things for you to see

1) plastic oil trap tray (usually I will fill this with water as it makes it easier to wash after a few days of oil collection)

2) rectifier panel

3) internal metal filter

None of the above items will need a screwdriver. When all 3 comes off you can wash all three with soapy liquid. 80-90% of the oil residue retained by the hood will be in these three traps. The fan is one piece of equipment where you will need a screwdriver to take off and wash, but I have not seen the need to clean it that way yet after nearly 2 years - and nearly daily cooking now. Usually a wet cloth wrapped around a finger can wipe off the dust and some of the grime sufficiently not for it to be an issue.

Obviously this cannot beat the "convenience" of filter-based hoods where you just change the filter paper and be done with it (mostly). However you will still need to wash the three metal grid panels facing the hob - extent of oil lodged there will depend on type and length of usage. I have used a chimney-based hood with filter before and it looks nice, but that is about the extent of its utility, but again like what someone has said everyone has different needs and preferences.

Please note I am not a Fujioh salesman - just sharing my experience and hopefully people will find it useful and make more informed decisions about what they buy.

Hi ucypmas, I definitely won't be taking offense at all. In fact, I want to thank you for taking the time to type and sharing your knowledge + experience of having used the Fujioh hood. Hopefully I won't be regretting my EF hood purchase but in any case, at a price of $350, if i wish to upgrade in the future when the budget is less constrained, I can always upgrade to a better hood. At that point in time, I can apply the information that I've managed to glean from you! Thanks ucypmas! :thumbs up:

I do love your purchases dear. Am sure it will served u well in ur new kitchen

Thanks Vi!

*fingers crossed*

Oh and the HTB has asked me to ask you to please send a batch of the home-baked peanut cookies you handed out to your new neighbours over to Jurong East *teehee*

Haha.. U not my next door neighbour leh.. :P

How was sia huat sales?

We didn't go in the end.

Some people who went down to the warehouse sale said that they were disappointed with the selection on sale and that it was more useful for those in the catering business so we decided to give it a miss since we had a packed weekend.

Hi,

You bought this table already?

If not, I suggest not to get anything with shape corners and glass, not safe for small kids...the last time I bought mine and need to protect with those rubber corners and end up looking so ugly...no choice for the safety of my 3 year old gal.

Yet another busy weekend. These days, it feels as if we're constantly on the go with a million things on our minds. One minute we're preoccupied with renovation issues, the next with wedding issues. A quick look at our schedules tells us that we're supposed to be at certain places every single evening of this week after work, whether it's to head down to a particular shop or to collect the wedding album, to collect the wedding invitation etc...

Anyway, photos first -

1) The now empty living room, save for the 'door opening ceremony' offerings

hhtz.jpg

The previous owner left behind all of his water features / tanks at the balcony even though they said that they would be clearing it for us. :curse:

iohd.jpg

The kitchen -

cte4.jpg

The toilet

69o8.JPG

MAJOR OVERHAUL REQUIRED.

:help:

Hi,

You bought this table already?

If not, I suggest not to get anything with shape corners and glass, not safe for small kids...the last time I bought mine and need to protect with those rubber corners and end up looking so ugly...no choice for the safety of my 3 year old gal.

Hi dannywmp,

are you referring to the coffeetable?

Yeah, we've already bought it.

Understand the need for child-proofing but that's a bridge that we'll cross when the time comes. Thanks for the advice!