Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zihui

Mission Impossible

Wow! Things are progressing fast now Zihui. So happy for you. Once the lights & carpentry goes in, the transformation will be 80% complete. Look forward to more photo updates.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wow! Things are progressing fast now Zihui. So happy for you. Once the lights & carpentry goes in, the transformation will be 80% complete. Look forward to more photo updates.

Thanks my dear....

How's been living in your new place like?

I'm betting that you're loving the extra space but the extra housework is giving you a headache right? :notti:

Thankfully you have 3 princesses to assist you :jammin:

And the hiccups have started....

This was how the balcony used to look like -

hhtz.jpg

Over at the balcony, the previous owner had a huge water feature cum fish pond (with lots of fish) erected.

When we bought over the place, the previous owner 'A' asked us if we wanted the water feature / fish pond. We told him no and to please remove it. He told us, "No problem."

So when we took over the keys and opened the door to our unit, needless to say, we were disappointed to see the huge built in water feature still there. We had to pay extra for our workers to clear the water bucket by bucket, hack it and remove it. I don't know if this is our responsibility, but why are we being made to pay for this? Never mind, we didn't want this to ruin our reno process so we just went ahead and paid for the removal.

However, yesterday JT informed us that the drainage pipe at the balcony was entirely choked up with the little decorative pebbles and marbles that came from the water feature / fish pond. So during the heavy rain yesterday, there was quite severe ponding going on at the balcony. Therefore, we now have no choice but to bring in someone to clear the drainage pipe chokage in order to prevent further issues from happening in the future. In addition, the drainage pipe in the ground floor toilet is also choked up so we'll also have to pay to get that cleared.

Now, I am not happy at all with the previous owner 'A". :curse:8|

Did your agent arrange for an inspection for u before the official handover?

No she didn't. *angry*

We asked her if an inspection was necessary but she just took advantage of our naivety and said that the HDB will inspect once before the handover.

I'm just trying to console myself by telling myself that if we had done the inspection prior to handover, the only thing we would have been able to spot was the fact that the water feature / fish pond was still there so we might have been able to insist on them removing it.

The drainage pipe chokage issue would not have surfaced unless it rains during our inspection or if we spray water onto the ground floor toilet's floor. *sad*

No she didn't. *angry*

We asked her if an inspection was necessary but she just took advantage of our naivety and said that the HDB will inspect once before the handover.

I'm just trying to console myself by telling myself that if we had done the inspection prior to handover, the only thing we would have been able to spot was the fact that the water feature / fish pond was still there so we might have been able to insist on them removing it.

The drainage pipe chokage issue would not have surfaced unless it rains during our inspection or if we spray water onto the ground floor toilet's floor. *sad*

Old flats are problematic...my problems are starting to surface one by one.. How much would the repairs cost? I hope it's not lot. But look at it this way, at least you find out now and get it fixed. Imagine if the problem crops up only after your Reno is done.

Old flats are problematic...my problems are starting to surface one by one.. How much would the repairs cost? I hope it's not lot. But look at it this way, at least you find out now and get it fixed. Imagine if the problem crops up only after your Reno is done.

You're absolutely right.

the repairs aren't going to cost a bomb - certainly much less than yours did when you found out the tiles in your place were hollow and were popping out one by one.

however, we're operating on a tight budget so everytime something unexpected like this pops up that requires our monetary attention, i can't help but think, "There goes a chaise lounge" or "There goes a painting"

*sad*

But I agree with you - no point being sad about this.

It's always much better to find out now than after we move in! I bet Greg's also happy that he found out about the gas leak now and not after he moves in!

Haha! You actually read about my popping tiles.. The workers even found a decayed bird trapped inside the wooden board used to cover the aircon trunking!!

The next time I go property hunting, I will do the following:

(1) bring along a pole and tap the tiles to make sure they are not hollow

(2) flush every toilet in the house

(3) touch every wall to make sure there is no dampness

(4) check if there is a foul smell from the Aircon

(5) check with town council to see if there is any upgrading of facilities that could mean they are chopping off the beautiful trees outside your windows

Haha! You actually read about my popping tiles.. The workers even found a decayed bird trapped inside the wooden board used to cover the aircon trunking!!

The next time I go property hunting, I will do the following:

(1) bring along a pole and tap the tiles to make sure they are not hollow

(2) flush every toilet in the house

(3) touch every wall to make sure there is no dampness

(4) check if there is a foul smell from the Aircon

(5) check with town council to see if there is any upgrading of facilities that could mean they are chopping off the beautiful trees outside your windows

hahahaha yeah i did - but i didn't know about the decayed bird trapped inside the wooden board! POOR BIRD!!!!! haahahahhaahh gross to the max.

that's true... on our property hunt, we did numbers (2), (4) [with the permission of the owners] and (5)

For (5), it came at the suggestion of another RTer, so we called up the town council & HDB. There's a upgrading program in place, but no time schedule given. So heck care, we're going ahead with our desired renovations and will be opting out of the upgrading program.

If i found out the gas leak after i moved in, i prob won't be able to post anymore lol

You're absolutely right.

the repairs aren't going to cost a bomb - certainly much less than yours did when you found out the tiles in your place were hollow and were popping out one by one.

however, we're operating on a tight budget so everytime something unexpected like this pops up that requires our monetary attention, i can't help but think, "There goes a chaise lounge" or "There goes a painting"

*sad*

But I agree with you - no point being sad about this.

It's always much better to find out now than after we move in! I bet Greg's also happy that he found out about the gas leak now and not after he moves in!

If i found out the gas leak after i moved in, i prob won't be able to post anymore lol

LOL

especially if you light up a cigarette or candles

then vanessa's 'KABOOM' picture will happen

LOL

especially if you light up a cigarette or candles

then vanessa's 'KABOOM' picture will happen

HAHAHA this made me chuckle....just the way it was phrased..

JT's Daily Update (27th Sept '13)

Waterproofing going on today as per scheduled:

i57.JPG

w91w.jpg

xufv.jpg

According to JT, the chokage in the balcony and toilet drainage pipes are cleared at last after the workers spent a couple of hours on them.

I guess this brings new meaning to the idiom, "Throwing money down the drain" :rofl:

Thanks my dear....

How's been living in your new place like?

I'm betting that you're loving the extra space but the extra housework is giving you a headache right? :notti:

Thankfully you have 3 princesses to assist you :jammin:

You are spot on. Love the space, but not loving the housework. Thank goodness for my little helpers. *grin* hehehe.

Then again, I have to bribe them to get the chores done. Aiyohz.

Oh dear... Just read about your drainage issue. Thank goodness you discovered early and can rectify now. Else if already Reno nice nice then discover, will be more costly and more heart pain to hack & repair.

You are spot on. Love the space, but not loving the housework. Thank goodness for my little helpers. *grin* hehehe.

Then again, I have to bribe them to get the chores done. Aiyohz.

Oh dear... Just read about your drainage issue. Thank goodness you discovered early and can rectify now. Else if already Reno nice nice then discover, will be more costly and more heart pain to hack & repair.

Alternatively, you can wait until the 3 princesses to grow up and THEN force their boyfriends to do the housework IN ADDITION to changing the lights :rofl:

Yup, that's a good 'glass half full' way of looking at it.

Anyway according to JT's daily updates, the pipes have been cleared (at a cost, of course) so that's the first hiccup settled.