Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zihui

Mission Impossible

Baaaawhh.. Managed to get a good price for ur king size?

Nope :(

Burst our budget for the mattress but hopefully it's something that we can enjoy for a long time to come

Your friend told me that after paying so much money, we're going to have longer hours to pay off everything so by the time we come home, we'll be so tired that we can just fall asleep on the floor. Why waste money on the mattress? :bleah:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

*sigh*

I understand your point lala81, but we started our mattress hunt too late.

the GSS officially ended on the 31st of July and we only started hunting on the 30th of July

That's why with only one day left to decide, we finally agreed not to rush into a purchase.

Hopefully this doesn't backfire.

But since this was a decision that we reached after much discussion and taking into account the advice from other forummers, i don't think we'll regret it.

So which brand did you get in the end?

Yup no point in buying when u're not ready.

I had no hesitation buying cos i've been sleeping on the same brand of mattress for 18 yrs.

You're spoilt for choice anyway.

I bought Airland. HK brand. Shop is in IMM. sells Lotus as well.

Good enough for my back hehe :sport-smiley-018:

there's an exhibition going on in Expo hall 7 which has a HUGE range of mattresses e.g. simmons, whatever koil/coil etc also have.

there's an exhibition going on in Expo hall 7 which has a HUGE range of mattresses e.g. simmons, whatever koil/coil etc also have.

The Home Show?

Yeah, my HTB and I will be heading there on the 8th of August.

He wants to go for the Book Fair, I want to go for the Metro Fair so might take the chance to pop by the Home Show as well as the Harvey Norman expo sale going on at the same time

Thanks for the heads up! :jammin:

The Home Show?

He wants to go for the Book Fair, I want to go for the Metro Fair so might take the chance to pop by the Home Show as well as the Harvey Norman expo sale going on at the same time

In fact I went there last weekend, this so called home fair/show and electronics sales keeps coming every now and then according to my bf who works nearby.

I entered the Home Show and was trying out on its sofa, marketing was real good but in the end we didnt buy. I'm just not ready and too afraid of those home packages he was offerring - bundles for house (dining table, sofa, coffee table) for an amount even though he mentioned that some customers who are only moving in at 2015 did also buy from him.

I also understand buy buying that package from Nova, you get to choose your furniture from Rozel, Novena as they are under the same boss.

Do keep us update on your hoots after that show :)

In fact I went there last weekend, this so called home fair/show and electronics sales keeps coming every now and then according to my bf who works nearby.

I entered the Home Show and was trying out on its sofa, marketing was real good but in the end we didnt buy. I'm just not ready and too afraid of those home packages he was offerring - bundles for house (dining table, sofa, coffee table) for an amount even though he mentioned that some customers who are only moving in at 2015 did also buy from him.

I also understand buy buying that package from Nova, you get to choose your furniture from Rozel, Novena as they are under the same boss.

Do keep us update on your hoots after that show :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences cookiegal!

I agree with you. These shows keep popping up non stop.

We were actually there around 3 weeks back for the previous Electronics & Food Fair. At that time, there was another Furniture & Living fair so we checked it out but didn't want to buy anything.

I highly doubt that we will buy anything this time as well.

It's just that the HTB wants to go for the book fair (the last time he went for the MPH fair there, he ended up buying 2 cartons of books) so since we're going to be there, we might as well pop by to take a quick look (it helps that there's the Metro fair and the Harvey Norman fair happening on the same day too)

But i 100% agree with you that we shouldn't be pressurized into buying something. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. We've already earmarked another furniture shop for our sofa & dining table purchase so unless something spectacular happens, we're not going to be buying any furniture at the expo. Btw, some RT forummers have had bad experiences with Nova & Novena (not to mention so many others) so we're very worried about buying from such retailers.

the main advantage is that all the major mattress brands are there so can test all at one visit. until i got a bit sian of lying down and getting up again and again. lol

The Home Show?

the main advantage is that all the major mattress brands are there so can test all at one visit. until i got a bit sian of lying down and getting up again and again. lol

hahahaha true

but we've already placed a deposit for the Serta Diamond Suite mattress so think we won't be looking at the mattresses.

will just pop in to see if anything else catches our eyes but like what i said to cookiegal, we most probably won't buy anything.

we'll only pop in because we're there for the book fair

besides mattress, there was one small exhibit who was selling wall/ceiling panels. e.g. concrete looking or brick wall - made of fibre glass. can install just by mounting on wall. looks good and feels quite realistic. price was 2300 or so for two panels, each 3 x 1.3m. worth a look

hahahaha true

but we've already placed a deposit for the Serta Diamond Suite mattress so think we won't be looking at the mattresses.

will just pop in to see if anything else catches our eyes but like what i said to cookiegal, we most probably won't buy anything.

besides mattress, there was one small exhibit who was selling wall/ceiling panels. e.g. concrete looking or brick wall - made of fibre glass. can install just by mounting on wall. looks good and feels quite realistic. price was 2300 or so for two panels, each 3 x 1.3m. worth a look

Thanks for the heads up, greglhc! :jammin:

Hi oldskool,

Thanks for the tip! I will certainly head down later on this week to check the outdoor furniture out! This hanging chair was from Boulevard over at Turf City and they have a weekly 'Weekend Promo' where the hanging chair goes for $399.

There's this really old school shop near my office which does solely wicker furniture over at Kallang Bahru. He quoted me $350 for a black wicker hanging chair so he's certainly a possibility plus it feels nice giving my business to an old uncle who's keeping the sunset industry going on.

Thanks again oldskool!

Yes Zihui we should do our part to help keep the sunset industries and small independant shops alive! shopping and dining in singapore is becoming so boring with too many chain stores domimating the retail space.

I hope I can still indulge in handmade kuehs, steam yam cake/pumpkin cake, rojak and popiah in my sunset years !

Yes Zihui we should do our part to help keep the sunset industries and small independant shops alive! shopping and dining in singapore is becoming so boring with too many chain stores domimating the retail space.

I hope I can still indulge in handmade kuehs, steam yam cake/pumpkin cake, rojak and popiah in my sunset years !

hahhahha

well said, sarah!

we normally head to Alexandria Village (over at the Bt Merah industrial zone) for our fix of handmade Teochew kuehs! Have you tried out that place before?

hahahaha true

I've got to eat my words now.

THANK YOU GREGLHC!

we headed over to the Expo during the long weekend to check out the Times Book Fair. Even though the poor HTB was ill after his business trip so we only went down after he was finally a bit more human. Funny how his 'illness' means he needs to sleep a lot but when he's inside the Book Fair, he can treasure hunt for 1 1/2 hours, no problem. :curse:

After hunting for treasures, he finally emerged with a carton of 30+ books. Guess he's finally satisfied 8|

wwug.jpg

After we were done with the Book Fair, we heeded Greglhc's advice to check out the Home Expo and we're so glad we did!

We had a great time haggling with Pierce, the owner of Bez Gallery, over the price of the bedframe (storage bed, headboard etc). He's extremely patient and friendly. I've tried to find negative reviews of them but havn't come across any as yet so we placed our deposit for the following -

dbhv.jpg

I've always wanted something like this and thankfully the hubs is perfectly fine with it. Another item off the list! :jammin:

The HTB was in Chennai for business last week so asked him to see if he can bring back anything for the house during his spare time. I honestly thought that he was going to bring back a souvenir / painting / pottery or even a statue that would remind him of his trip to Chennai. Instead, he comes back with something that frankly speaking, we can buy from almost any shop in the world. *facepalm*

This is what happens when you leave men alone to do the shopping :bleah:

Photos of the house related shopping provided by him -

He wisely (I'll at least give him that) decided to give this shop a miss -

ybf3.jpg

Instead, he headed over to Express Avenue, the largest mall in Chennai -

5oen.jpg

Ongoing sale, so he went in

02e3.jpg

Edited by zihui

The following are the photos of the items that he said he considered buying:

Some kind of candlelight holder -

e698.jpg