Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zihui

Mission Impossible

We are the most kancheong people around.

Our first appointment with HDB is only on the 2nd of August. Second appointment is targetted to be the 12th - 14th of Sept

The reno hasn't even started and we've already started buying and ordering electrical appliances 8|

Just to share - I was targeting a 60in TV. The LG model I was monitoring was released at 3499. Now its down to 25xx. No plans to get it until we are about to move in. Otherwise will live without a TV for a couple of months while waiting for entry point. Maybe its a better opportunity to talk to each other more often without a TV?

Fridge was looking at a Samsung 2-door side by side. It launched at nearly 1.9k, then 1.7k, then 1.5k and is now down to 1.3k+. A call to the local electrical shops confirmed that they can ship at around that price.

So i think you can give yourself more leeway and commit to electricals only when you have your renovation cost sorted.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Just to share - I was targeting a 60in TV. The LG model I was monitoring was released at 3499. Now its down to 25xx. No plans to get it until we are about to move in. Otherwise will live without a TV for a couple of months while waiting for entry point. Maybe its a better opportunity to talk to each other more often without a TV?

Fridge was looking at a Samsung 2-door side by side. It launched at nearly 1.9k, then 1.7k, then 1.5k and is now down to 1.3k+. A call to the local electrical shops confirmed that they can ship at around that price.

So i think you can give yourself more leeway and commit to electricals only when you have your renovation cost sorted.

Hi ucypmas,

Thanks for the advice. I agree with you, prices of electronics will constantly drop as newer models and newer technology comes out.

That's why we havn't bought the living room TV (targetting a minimum of 46' to 50') and the other electronic appliances as yet

however, our mentality is that:

For a 2 door samsung fridge, $700+ is a decent price. We might be able to find a better price out there, but not by much.

For the Samsung top-load washing machine which only cost us $200+, I really don't think we can get a better deal out there

We might have been too hasty getting the 40' Toshiba LED Smart TV when it's a cash and carry item, but at $600+, it's still an awesome deal.

It's like what my HTB constantly says - we'll need to do our homework to get the most out of our limited budget, but once we confirm an item, don't keep comparing prices / looking around anymore and just enjoy the purchase (I'm a HUGE worrier. I will keep second guessing myself, wondering if i've made the right choice). to be honest, we bought the TV last saturday. Then we shortlisted several items before going back with friends on Sunday. I couldn't even sleep properly the entire night on Saturday as I kept debating my choices with myself before we finally took the plunge on Sunday

The remaining appliances have got to wait until the tail end of our reno! :no:

Dun stress lah zihui! Especially with wedding and house together! Slowly buy so not so siong on budget!

And oh.... I m a 'old' friend of ur htb! Saw him post the pix on fb without the blurry effect! Muahahaa.. Y hide his handsome face!!!

Glad he found a lovely partner! U r v sweet looking! Hez a lucky guy!

Look forward to seeing more pixs!

Cheers,

Vivi

After silently lurking here for ages, reading other people's t-Blogs and silently absorbing as much information as possible, it's finally time to take the plunge and set up my own t-Blog so that I can chronicle the entire renovation process.

After settling all the other costs, we have a miniscule budget of only around $40K to do a major overhaul of the entire unit and another $10K for furniture and home appliances. Can we do up a dream home on our shoestring budget? Please refer to the title of my t-Blog. :help:

Nonetheless, we're going to give it our best shot and see if we can stretch our dollar to the max to come up something that closely resembles our dream home.

WISH ME LUCK!!!! :thumbs up:

Good luck zihui! Hopefully, you get the place done up to your expectations. Which estate is your EM in anyways?

Dun stress lah zihui! Especially with wedding and house together! Slowly buy so not so siong on budget!

And oh.... I m a 'old' friend of ur htb! Saw him post the pix on fb without the blurry effect! Muahahaa.. Y hide his handsome face!!!

Glad he found a lovely partner! U r v sweet looking! Hez a lucky guy!

Look forward to seeing more pixs!

Cheers,

Vivi

hahhahahaha

Hello!!!! I think I know who you are - I saw your comments on his FB. You're the one he always refers to as 'Vxxxxx Jie' right? hee hee

Such a small world.

actually i think he's more stressed about the budget than I am hahahaha

I'm the one with all the ideas and he's the one going around with a black face saying, "No.", "No money", "No budget" :bleah:

Next time must come to our place for housewarming yeah?

Good luck zihui! Hopefully, you get the place done up to your expectations. Which estate is your EM in anyways?

Thanks for the luck, eddy!

I'm going to need bagfuls of it...

It's a maisonette over at Jurong East

Thanks for the luck, eddy!

I'm going to need bagfuls of it...

It's a maisonette over at Jurong East

We're all western neighbours then..lol! I truly get how it feels like to be you. 6 years ago, my wife and I got our first flat immediately after our wedding. The financial planning needs to be spot on. We had to struggle a bit but it all came thru for us. Don't over spend and regardless what others may say, the important thing is you have a roof over your head....

Ur house is big enuff to host mahjong tournaments! Haahaa.. He must b very happy!! Lol! Ask him for monies when he is in a gd mood lor.. Liked if his Toon Army win a match.. But it is not often so make sure u ask for more! Haha!

We're all western neighbours then..lol! I truly get how it feels like to be you. 6 years ago, my wife and I got our first flat immediately after our wedding. The financial planning needs to be spot on. We had to struggle a bit but it all came thru for us. Don't over spend and regardless what others may say, the important thing is you have a roof over your head....

that's very good advice!

at the end of the day, what's most important is that we have the roof over our heads

whether it's a dream house or not, that's not important.

even if it's not a showflat or my dream house, we can still make it our dream HOME :thumbs up:

by the way, where's your house at?

Ur house is big enuff to host mahjong tournaments! Haahaa.. He must b very happy!! Lol! Ask him for monies when he is in a gd mood lor.. Liked if his Toon Army win a match.. But it is not often so make sure u ask for more! Haha!

hahhahahhahaha

*high five*

He's promised me to stop supporting them when he turns 50 because he says that his heart cannot take anymore sadness and disappointment by that time

that's very good advice!

at the end of the day, what's most important is that we have the roof over our heads

whether it's a dream house or not, that's not important.

even if it's not a showflat or my dream house, we can still make it our dream HOME :thumbs up:

by the way, where's your house at?

I'm moving to Teck Whye soon. Just got keys so reno will be starting anytime. Previously was from CCK so just a stone's throw away...

I'm moving to Teck Whye soon. Just got keys so reno will be starting anytime. Previously was from CCK so just a stone's throw away...

Ah yes!!

"Our 5 room Resale.... and it's Transformation"

hahahah

so sorry... i get so caught up with work etc that I lose track of which t-blog is whose

i only remembered it not because of the user name but because of the location of the unit hahahhahaha

Teck Whye is very close to Jurong - *high five*

i bet you're feeling both excited and stressed at this point in time right?

can't wait to see the transformation of your place.....

Hee! I m nearer.. JW area! :)

And yes, building a home is more impt than a showflat! Slowly dun stress urself with the budget and stuff! Things will work out in the end!

Hee! I m nearer.. JW area! :)

And yes, building a home is more impt than a showflat! Slowly dun stress urself with the budget and stuff! Things will work out in the end!

Wow so close??!!

Fantastic - I can't wait to see the start of your t-blog!

This way, we can share contacts and cheer each other on! :jammin: