Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zihui

Mission Impossible

Just see which bed feel shiok when u lie down.. Thatz more impt than the brand or model...:)

I recalled Serta and Sealy Sales at IMM did tell me if the bed is cheaper later, they will honor the price.. :)

Happy bed hopping!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Went to Bangkok over the last weekend with my HTB's family as part of his brother's birthday celebrations.

We found some spare time to hit the Chatuchak Weekend Market to hunt for knick knacks while the others went for pedicures / foot massages.

Managed to find some adorable items with which I can decorate our home with -

1) Black tea light lantern holders which my HTB intends to hang at our (sorry, HIS) balcony (picture grabbed from the store's website)

uj2f.jpg

2) White candle light holders in different sizes which I can decorate the living room with (picture grabbed from the store's FB page)

dyjd.jpg

3) My HTB's favourite item - the artificial grass carpet for HIS balcony (this is a close up. The entire thing measures 1 square metre)

y21v.jpg

He intends to place it in a corner of the balcony and then put his water feature / plants on top of it.

We also got several other aromatherapy burners and reed diffusers for the entire house

Total Damage = THB1,580 (S$63.20)

Hopefully everything comes together nicely!! :sport-smiley-004:

Very nice n lovely! :)

I went to furniture mall last week end they also told me promo ending at that week and goes on saying year end price will go up ESP Xmas. He mention August no one will buy mattress so maybe cheaper coz lunar 7th month... Then I told him I come again during then... Lol....don't want because of promo then rush myself....:)

Hi guys, need your advice again.

My HTB heard that the promotions for most mattress / bedding shops will end by tomorrow so we decided to head down to IMM after work today. True enough, the sales staff from all 4 of the major bedding companies told us (without us asking) that the promotion will end on the 31st of July and they don't know when the next promotion will be. One sales staff from S***y even told us that prices are going to increase starting from Aug as they're clearing out old stock.

Now, we know that this is a sales tactic but should we decide on a mattress now? After all, we'll need delivery latest by the end of Oct '13 and quite a number of people have told us that we need to give them around 8 weeks or so because they may not have stock for the headboard. We are already planning another trip back to IMM tmr evening after work. Should we just place a deposit already?

Second question - I need your advice and opinions from fellow forummers who have bought from them before. Which of the following will you recommend -

1) Max Koil - King sized mattress with headboard, bed frame, 1 normal Latex pillow, 1 contour pillow, mattress protector, no GST and no delivery charge. Priced at $2,199. But we don't like the free headboard designs. For the one that we like (or rather I like), we need to top up $600.

2) Serta - King sized mattress with no headboard, no bed frame, 2 free Serta pillows, free mattress protector, free Serta soft toy (hahahha) and free bench in front of the bed. Priced at $2,420. If we want their headboard and bed frame, we need to top up $799. The sales staff told us to buy the headboard and bed frame from outside instead. No GST and no delivery charge.

3) Simmons - King sized mattress with headboard and bedframe. 2 free pillows and free mattress protector. No GST and no delivery charge. Free $200 Lee Hwa voucher. $2,969. But once again, I'm not keen on their headboard and bed frame to be honest.

4) Sealy - King sized mattress with headboard and bedframe. No GST, no delivery. $2,989.

What do you guys think? If it was up to you, which one would you go for? We've tried the mattresses and we like them all (amateurs). My HTB likes the Serta one but that means we'll have to source for our own headboard and bed frame (where should we source for such items from??). I personally prefer Sealy. However, we both know that the rational choice should be Max Koil, given our limited budget...

Advice needed please...

i bought my bed and bedframe already. and i haven't even gotten the keys.

my experience from my mattress shop is that yes, it's cheaper during GSS. How i know? Cos i bought in 2011 and 2013. the price during GSS this year is cheaper than 2 yrs ago.

I bought maxcoil king size plus storage bed frame (customize to wrap in fabric) total damage is $3087 as a package price as said by the sales lady.bought it frm courts!

Personally, I would take Sealy but that's only becoz I'm using Sealy. Mattress is a good place to invest. When you get home after a long day at work, you will feel that the money is well spent. The Sealys, Simmons and Sertas can last really long so it's a good investment.

That's good advice... thanks eddy! The durability of the mattress is something that we'll have to bear in mind. After all, it's probably going to be the most used piece of furniture in the entire house so this is the one purchase that we're not willing to scrimp on.

Headboard and bedframe can be had from most major furniture shops. I got a storage bedframe recently from Defu, cost about 1k. Delivery is 3 weeks from date of order.

There are also cheaper models out there.

For atas types there are King Koil storage bedframes from Robinsons go for about 1.8k ala carte before discounts. Their other non-storage models go for 800++ to about 1k.

The normal ones without storage feature should cost about 600-700 for king-size, depending on finishing and how sian tao the sales people are.

Actually for mattresses, it is the most un-transparent part of the furniture business. Like how do you know if the mattress, has a comparable model in other shops that could allow you to benchmark prices? Don't believe all this "promotion is over" thing - you can never tell. Just set a budget and buy what you think you like (hard, soft, with the top layer, without etc), and bargain from there.

Wow, thanks for the advice ucypmas!

We're not interested in the storage feature so hopefully that'll save us a bit of money.

I agree 100% with you - we refused to buy into this 'promotion is over' thing so we havn't gotten our mattress as yet.

We've decided to heed all the useful advice from here and are going to slowly hunt for our bed.

Robinsons might have a larger range of frames to choose from. Confirmed Simmons from them last weekend.

For frequent travellers to BKK, can consider checking out Crystal Design Centre for interiors furnishing etc.

http://www.crystaldesigncenter.com/

Wow, thanks Emerald!

Pity I didn't know about this place earlier!

I don't think we'll be going to BKK until after the reno and wedding but when we go to BKK, i'll be sure to check this place out. Will take loads of photos too! tee hee

the HTB is heading to Chennai next week so I've instructed him to keep a lookout for anything interesting that he can bring back for the house

Just see which bed feel shiok when u lie down.. Thatz more impt than the brand or model... :)

I recalled Serta and Sealy Sales at IMM did tell me if the bed is cheaper later, they will honor the price.. :)

Happy bed hopping!

They will honour the price? WONDERFUL!

this is definitely something that we'll use while bargaining with the sales staff

so which brand did you go for in the end?

Yup its what you feel when u lie down.i got maxcoil.

I bought maxcoil king size plus storage bed frame (customize to wrap in fabric) total damage is $3087 as a package price as said by the sales lady.bought it frm courts!

Hi juxtapose and hapigal,

thanks for taking the time and effort to chime in.

Maxcoil is still one of the brands that we're considering (although the man of the house keeps going on about Serta)

We were at Toa Payoh Courts today and there were several good deals for Maxcoil mattresses. Talk about being spoilt for choice! hahahhaha

I went to furniture mall last week end they also told me promo ending at that week and goes on saying year end price will go up ESP Xmas. He mention August no one will buy mattress so maybe cheaper coz lunar 7th month... Then I told him I come again during then... Lol....don't want because of promo then rush myself.... :)

cookiegal,

HIGH FIVE!

after reading what ucypmas said, we also decided not to be rushed into a decision.

This is Singapore - sales occur non stop. Right now, it's the Hari Raya and National Day sales. I'm sure there will be other on going promotions for us!

i bought my bed and bedframe already. and i haven't even gotten the keys.

my experience from my mattress shop is that yes, it's cheaper during GSS. How i know? Cos i bought in 2011 and 2013. the price during GSS this year is cheaper than 2 yrs ago.

*sigh*

I understand your point lala81, but we started our mattress hunt too late.

the GSS officially ended on the 31st of July and we only started hunting on the 30th of July

That's why with only one day left to decide, we finally agreed not to rush into a purchase.

Hopefully this doesn't backfire.

But since this was a decision that we reached after much discussion and taking into account the advice from other forummers, i don't think we'll regret it.

So which brand did you get in the end?

Very nice n lovely! :)

Thanks potatoes!

Very nice grass carpet!

Thanks oldskool!

My HTB is thrilled with this purchase to be honest.

Funny story -

we were at Suvarnabhumi Airport and were checking in the grass carpet.

As we were slowly checking in our items in at the check-in counter, the Thai ground staff sitting at the next counter suddenly asked us, "Where did you get this from?"

After hearing that it was from Chatuchak, his next question was "Tao rai?" (How much?)

When he heard that we only paid ha roi baht, his expression was priceless - he exclaimed loudly that he had paid THB1,300 for almost exactly the same thing and requested to touch it. He even called another colleague over to touch it as well and to repeat the entire story indignantly to her.

Being the typical Singaporean, my HTB initially was just 'ok' about the grass carpet. But realising from the Thais that he got a good deal, now he absolutely adores the grass carpet. I mean, he bought it so naturally he liked it, but he didn't like it THIS MUCH. Now he keeps grinning whenever he thinks of that Thai guy's expression. :notti: