Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zihui

Mission Impossible

Hi Zihui

Can you share some tips how do you manage to polish the piano with a bottle of fine piano polish till it shines with sparkles ? What is the brand of the piano polish? I had a black piano too and I tried to polish but it turned blur and matte surface instead :(:help: Thanks in advance

Oh no..... now you're dragging up bad memories of last weekend. We really polished the piano until our arms were aching.

The hubby's piano came in a terrible condition - it was incredibly dirty and dusty.

So we did the following steps:

1) We used a wet cloth to wipe off as much dust and dirt as possible. This required around 3 changes of water because the initial clear water had turned blackish grey and really couldn't be used any further.

2) After we were relatively satisfied that we have removed as much dust and dirt as possible, we started with the polishing.

3) We put a couple of drops of 'Unicorn High Grade Piano Polish' onto a microfibre cloth and started 'waxing' a small area in a circular motion. (I've googled this brand and apparently it's from Yamaha so you shouldn't have an issue buying it. The hub's piano is a Yamaha, so the polish came with the piano many many donkey years ago)

4) DO NOT LET THE LIQUID DRY. This is key. If it dries out, you'll be left with streaks on the piano surface. Using another dry cloth (we chose to use microfibre cloths that we got from a hardware stall (think it was 5 for $3 or something like that)), immediately start to buff the area that you've previously applied the Piano Polish to. Preferably in a circular motion as well. Do so until the polished area becomes shiny.

5) Keep repeating steps 3 and 4 until the entire piano is nice and shiny

6) Use a piano cleaning microfibre glove to clean the keyboard keys. It looks something like this -

r9ly.jpg

Once again, the hubs already has the piano microfibre cleaning glove and the unicorn polish (he keeps it in the piano seat) so I didn't ask him where he bought them from.

7) Step back and admire the shiny piano

8) Take photos of said piano and post them here on Renotalk.

Hope this helps! :thumbs up:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Oh my gosh!!! Aki is soooo cuutttteeee!

佩服! Settling in the house, unpacking and potty-training, all at the same time. Not so easy! 加油!

Thanks Makan!!

你过奖了。。。不过说真的,真的是廷辛苦的。

We have unopened (and opened) carton boxes everywhere and Aki's a typical curious puppy, so he keeps trying to go sniffing around. And to make matters worse, he's so tiny and I don't think he's fully realized that his name is Aki yet so he has a tendency to go missing at times and yells of, "Aki, come here! Aki, where are you?" aren't responded to hahahhahahaha

Worst of all, this is a traumatic time for him - new owners, new surroundings, new food... so you guessed it - his stools were a watery diarrhea at first, before becoming soft poops. They were a terror to clean up in the new house lah! Thankfully as of last night, they've become firm again.

But I have to say this - I was a super proud mummy this morning when I saw that he pooped and peed (twice) on the pee tray on his own! He missed once so there was a small puddle on the floor, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad for a start!

I need to give credit where credit is due and my hubby has engaged a SUPER decal guy.

Last Sunday, the decal expert came down to our place (together with his lovely wife) to take measurements of the tricky kitchen wall where we intend to place the celebrity chefs wall decal (my hubby's pet project) as well as to check out the arcade machine (we intend to place decals around the machine to spruce it up). So there he was in the kitchen, taking precise measurements and taking photos before bidding us farewell. And yesterday evening, I've received the final mock up of the wall decal, graphically superimposed on the photo of my kitchen wall that he took so that I can have a visual impression of what the entire thing will look like once the decal is up in place. And I must say, I AM LOVING IT!

Here's how the thing will look like once the decal is up -

idec.jpg

hahahaa I just noticed that his wife's reflection can be seen on the left of the picture, being reflected in the glossy kitchen cabinets and the microwave oven.

Oh no..... now you're dragging up bad memories of last weekend. We really polished the piano until our arms were aching.

The hubby's piano came in a terrible condition - it was incredibly dirty and dusty.

So we did the following steps:

1) We used a wet cloth to wipe off as much dust and dirt as possible. This required around 3 changes of water because the initial clear water had turned blackish grey and really couldn't be used any further.

2) After we were relatively satisfied that we have removed as much dust and dirt as possible, we started with the polishing.

3) We put a couple of drops of 'Unicorn High Grade Piano Polish' onto a microfibre cloth and started 'waxing' a small area in a circular motion. (I've googled this brand and apparently it's from Yamaha so you shouldn't have an issue buying it. The hub's piano is a Yamaha, so the polish came with the piano many many donkey years ago)

4) DO NOT LET THE LIQUID DRY. This is key. If it dries out, you'll be left with streaks on the piano surface. Using another dry cloth (we chose to use microfibre cloths that we got from a hardware stall (think it was 5 for $3 or something like that)), immediately start to buff the area that you've previously applied the Piano Polish to. Preferably in a circular motion as well. Do so until the polished area becomes shiny.

5) Keep repeating steps 3 and 4 until the entire piano is nice and shiny

6) Use a piano cleaning microfibre glove to clean the keyboard keys. It looks something like this -

r9ly.jpg

Once again, the hubs already has the piano microfibre cleaning glove and the unicorn polish (he keeps it in the piano seat) so I didn't ask him where he bought them from.

7) Step back and admire the shiny piano

8) Take photos of said piano and post them here on Renotalk.

Hope this helps! :thumbs up:

Thank you so much for sharing! Good exercise to the arms :)

Haha tell me about potty-training! And Aki seems like a fast learner! Less than a week, he can pee correctly 3 out of 4 times? Wow, impressive!

Our Leia has been with us since July and she still cannot pee/poo at the right spot :( she has also chewed off the paint at a corner of a cabinet, spoilt quite a few rugs and scratched a bar stool... Comes with having a puppy at home.

looking good..... you need to share the links for your taobao loots

Thanks alfredt

Will gladly share, but I bought quite a fair bit from TB, mainly LED downlights, floor lamps and toilet accessories thus far. Nothing decorative / interesting as yet. Which link do you require? Let me know and I'll post it up

Thank you so much for sharing! Good exercise to the arms :)

No problem at all, sherting!

Good luck with the piano polishing!

Haha tell me about potty-training! And Aki seems like a fast learner! Less than a week, he can pee correctly 3 out of 4 times? Wow, impressive!

Our Leia has been with us since July and she still cannot pee/poo at the right spot :( she has also chewed off the paint at a corner of a cabinet, spoilt quite a few rugs and scratched a bar stool... Comes with having a puppy at home.

5 out of 5 last night!!!! *jumps for joy* (4 poops, 1 pee)

But he only has a good record in the MBR. When he's on the ground floor, we place the pee pad in the kitchen. SOMETIMES he makes his way successfully to the kitchen and onto the pee pad (and when he does, we go CRAZY with the positive reinforcement) but even yesterday evening, we were getting nasty small surprises in the living room. Hopefully he keeps this up and fares better on the ground floor

hahahaahahahah ever since we welcomed Aki into our house, we've been mentally prepared for the collateral damage. Just hoping that we won't faint when we come back home from work one day

Thanks alfredt

Will gladly share, but I bought quite a fair bit from TB, mainly LED downlights, floor lamps and toilet accessories thus far. Nothing decorative / interesting as yet. Which link do you require? Let me know and I'll post it up

the LED downlights and the water faucets please, if its not too much trouble. I am contemplating the lights issue. and may copy your idea of cove light in the stair well... :)

btw, did you install ceiling fans in the upper floor rooms ?

the LED downlights and the water faucets please, if its not too much trouble. I am contemplating the lights issue. and may copy your idea of cove light in the stair well... :)

btw, did you install ceiling fans in the upper floor rooms ?

no problem at all. Let me PM you the links.

Nope, we didn't install ceiling fans on the 2nd floor as we have aircon units in every room.

Initially the hubby wanted a ceiling fan in the recreation room so that he can just read under the rotating fan

however, the FSM asked us to place a standing fan in that particular room so the hubby scrapped the ceiling fan idea.

Wow, just realized that I havn't popped in here in almost 2 weeks. Nothing much to update thus far hence the lack of activity and posts. Basically, we've moved into the house and all the moving boxes have been finally unpacked after many many backbreaking hours. Sidenote - for those staying in a maisonette without the assistance of a foreign domestic worker, please take note that the housework and general cleaning of the place will kill you every weekend hahahahaha

We're now waiting for the arrival of our 2nd TB shipment where we ordered loads of decorative items, including our first X'mas tree. Can't wait for it to arrive and photographs can be properly taken once again.

Last Saturday, our decal guy came down to install the celebrity chef decal in the kitchen so our kitchen now finally is complete! (Well, almost - we have a detergent rank coming in our 2nd TB shipment for the laundry area)

Here's a photo of the decal guy hard at work -

88pn.jpg

Extremely professional and efficient, the entire installation of the decal took slightly under an hour which meant that before long, we were left pleased and beaming at the final outcome -

dk31.JPG

Needless to say, the hubby is super pleased because the celebrity chef wall was his idea from the start so he's thrilled with the final outcome. :thumbs up:

Very cool ideal babe! Thums up!

hahahah it's your friend's idea

Photos of your house, Vi!!!!

you're going to move on the 10th of December so the reno should be more or less complete right?

So eager to see how your reno has turned out!

Edited by zihui