Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zihui

Mission Impossible

Move-in Day (6th Nov '13)

Following our FSM's instructions, we moved into our house yesterday at 9.18 AM sharp. The house isn't really complete as yet (our 2nd round of moving will take place this Sunday) but the infrastructure is largely in place so we just need to ensure that we have the essentials ready (not to mention enough clean underwear and clothes) to survive 4 days in the house prior to the final round of moving this Sunday. After carrying out the FSM's instructions (charcoal, opening of all the doors & windows, the filling up of the 'water feature' etc), we rolled up our sleeves because it was an extremely busy day. The first delivery guys to arrive brought with them our tiny wine chiller and our mini fridge (for the 2nd storey. We're still undecided where to put it. I want to place it in the Recreation Room while the hubby wants to place it in the MBR, saying that the Recreation Room is looking increasingly packed).

After the arrival of the wine chiller and the mini fridge, the curtains/blinds team arrived to carry out the installation of our blinds! (Curtains not ready yet - they'll only be installed sometime next week). Absolutely loving our black and white blinds! Here's a picture of the blinds as seen from outside our house (i.e the view that our neighbours get) -

uhfu.jpg

We installed blinds at our dining area and in the Recreation Room (the other rooms and the living room will have curtains instead). Here's how the blinds look like over at the Dining Area -

7ojd.jpg

and here's a quick photo of how the blinds look like over in the recreation room -

p0xz.jpg

Sorry for the poorly taken photographs hahahahhaa

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Move-in day continued:

After the blinds were installed, several other teams came in to carry out their jobs. In the MBR, the Toshiba TV guys came down to carry out the wall-mounting of our TV. While that was going on, the LG TV was delivered and set up in our living room. After all that, the plant guys from the nursery came with the delivery of our selected plants! This is the first time that either of us is trying to grow plants so hopefully it doesn't turn into a disaster.... We bought ourselves a money plant for the staircase, 2 water plants for the water feature that's to be placed in the living room (FSM's instructions), and 3 small potted plants for the balcony (a mexican chilli plant, a lime plant and a limau purut plant (we chose this because the leaves smelled so delicious when we were touring the nursery)).

Here's a photo of our 3 potted plants sitting at the balcony, on top of the grass patch that we bought back from Bangkok months ago -

dhsu.jpg

Please pardon the bare looking living room. The coffee table will be shifted in this Sunday and we're still awaiting the arrival of our rugs and other decorative items.

On a sidenote, I just realised that my framing is terrible. Shouldn't I have taken a close up of the plants instead of a far-off photograph? *facepalm*

On the other side of the living room, here's how the water feature currently looks with the 2 pots of water plants sitting pretty inside as well as the money plant over at the staircase -

vylz.jpg

I ran out of grey and white pebbles to surround the water feature so note to self - I need to call up the nursery to order many more pebbles.

After spending numerous hours unpacking our boxes from round 1 of the move (how is it possible that we're STILL not done yet???), vacuuming the entire house and then mopping the place (my aching back.....), we scooted out of the house to drive down to test out our arcade machine which was supposed to be delivered last night. Unfortunately, disaster struck - everything seemed perfect when we were doing the test run, so we okay-ed the delivery. However when the delivery guy brought the arcade machine to our doorstep, we realized to our utter dismay that the arcade machine is too large to fit through the doorway. The shop owner and the delivery guy were puzzled because they've successfully delivered to many residential apartments before - but our case is different because our doorframe is severely tilted for fengshui reasons. We tried hard but the machine just got stuck in the doorframe. Therefore we had no choice but to ask the delivery guy to bring the machine back to the shop and to re-deliver it again tonight. After discussions with the shop owner, we've decided that the shop will dismantle the control panel over at the shop before delivering the dismantled machine to our place where the delivery guy will proceed to slide the machine through our doorframe sideways, carry it up the stairs into the Recreation Room and then the shop staff will re-assemble the arcade machine back together again only after the machine is in place where it rightfully belongs.

After all of that, we settled down for our first dinner in the new house! He has been asking for steamboat so before we left the house to test out the arcade machine, I prepared the steamboat soup and then left it in my new thermal cooker to continue stewing away -

34ip.jpg

So that by the time we came back (and dealt with the fiasco of the botched arcade machine delivery), all we needed to do was to get ready for the steamboat dinner. It's a very very simple steamboat dinner (stuff bought from the supermarket. Only things that required any sort of prep were the steamboat soup which I made out of pork bones and an assortment of vegetables as well as the handmade wantons), but being the first dinner in our new house, it tasted wonderful to me *beam*

eeru.jpg

(yeah, we laid out newspapers and ate on the living room floor because the hubby wanted to watch HBO on his new TV and we don't have a coffee table as yet. Talk about a waste of our dining table *roll eyes*)

Time to tuck in! :yamseng:

4oo4.jpg

Haha! The steamboat looks yummy! Enjoy ur misson possible graduation!

Thanks Vi!

Taking it one step at a time.

Besides, the reno process is never really complete, is it? :sport-smiley-003:

Congrats on the completion!! :D

Im excited to see your new arcade machine!!

hahahhahhha

i saw it last night. it looks very old and worn out *roll eyes*

Totally ruin the look of the house

But tonight they're going to dismantle and deliver again before putting it all back together again so hopefully nothing goes wrong this time

hey zihui

very nice! happy for u :dancingqueen: Congrats on your reno completion!

I'm also considering holding a steamboat party after move in haha

Edited by desatans

hahahhahhha

i saw it last night. it looks very old and worn out *roll eyes*

Totally ruin the look of the house

But tonight they're going to dismantle and deliver again before putting it all back together again so hopefully nothing goes wrong this time

Old and worn out = distressed and vintage. Haha

hey zihui

very nice! happy for u :dancingqueen: Congrats on your reno completion!

I'm also considering holding a steamboat party after move in haha

Hi desatans,

thanks for the kind words!

Are you going to invite the RT folks over for a steamboat party? *grin*

Old and worn out = distressed and vintage. Haha

hahahahahha

only in your expert DIY eyes, greg

wait till i take photos to show you how much of a rusty wreck it really is

Edited by zihui

I like to but i think my house cannot accomodate so many ppl leh haha :lol::lol::lol:

Why not you start one steamboat/ktv/arcade gaming session for us first! :notti::notti::notti:

I think that's an excellent idea! hahahhahahahaha

if i charge $0.50 per game, I might be able to recoup a bit of my reno costs :rofl:

I think that's an excellent idea! hahahhahahahaha

if i charge $0.50 per game, I might be able to recoup a bit of my reno costs :rofl:

Haha! hello folks u hear that..pls put down your names, those interested lol

1. desatans

1. desatans

:rofl:

My hubby is going to kill me if he ever sees this.

He'll probably take this chance to tell me that if i can invite you guys over, he's able to invite his friends over for mahjong already

that's when i'll really die hahahahahhahahhahaha

Please throw in mahjong session. :notti:

1. desatans

2. OceanEleven