Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Your posts on tao bao are really inspiring! I'm just about starting to renovate my place and didn't know that we could even order from Taobao (cos of the shipping and thought they only do bulk sales)..

But just a question, do you think it's safe or worthwhile to buy big items like sofas or dressing tables from sellers there? via that Peeka! site

Hi janyen

My advice is to buy stuff which are simple in design and fairly straightforward to manufacture.

I would avoid items like sofas/bed frames. These are things which you need to look and feel.

Where stuff like lamps, bulbs, chairs, simple tables e.g. study/dining - I think these are worthwhile risk

edited to add: the basic principle is the simpler the design of the item, the less risky the purchase from taobao

thats why apparel like t-shirts, shorts, socks are popular and easy to buy.

Not all lamps are the same - certain lamps with a lot of moving joints e.g. certin artemide replicas, may have a tendency to be more flimsy and the joints may give way

Edited by greglhc

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Nice laminate. could you share the name of it. thanks

Agree. I like this laminate too.

By the way, is that real wood for the vanity top? Wouldn't it rot with all that water in the bath? I wanted the same look but the id advised against it.

Agree. I like this laminate too.

By the way, is that real wood for the vanity top? Wouldn't it rot with all that water in the bath? I wanted the same look but the id advised against it.

Hi gryffindor,

It's kompactop, definitely not real wood.

One of the few surfaces that can give a wooden texture for surfaces.

I'm happy that it looks like real wood heh.

Hi greg, hope u get ur carpentry issue solved soon. Luckily u hv sharp eyes or they will juz cover up with marker... Amazing that they thk us consumers are stupid... Geez

N yr new york teak kompactop is lovely!

Thanks projecth!

Does anyone have experience to share regarding changing out some parts of laminates? Wondering how difficult it is for carpenter to do cos I was thinking to request that but they will put up a lot of resistance.

Nice thread you have here documenting your renovation progress as well as very useful Taobao links and terms!!

You must be so excited to be moving in soon :)

I have to ask, if it is possible to PM me your contractor's details? I'm collecting my keys in a month!

Many thanks!

Hi Choomacher - thanks! Was initially concerned the flooring would be too dark. But I'm happy I stuck to my gut. Which design/colour did u choose?

Btw there're no underlay. Beneath the HERF is my original flooring (marble, parquet and tiles). No anti-termite that I know of.

They did tell me that maybe metal trimming might not be able to be used. This Saturday they will assess and make the change. If not it's a dark grey PVC strip.

I ordered my flooring from Kronotex. Took the Mammut range in coffee capital oak color. The thing I liked about Kronotex is that it comes with a latex underlay, which reduces the hollow feeling that comes with laminates. They were also kind enough to include a anti termite film which they will lay below the underlay as well.

I think we have pretty similar taste as I have the same octopus lamp as well! But I'm using that for the carporch... just hope that it is a lil weatherproof...

Hi, may i chk when we get quote for laminate/vinyl flooring eg $xx/sq ft... what is included in this cost? Does it include skirting material (or a separate additional cost)? what is meant by 'accessories'? is it norm to pay an extra 10% wastage cost?

for Evorich's HERF - the price quoted includes materials for installation including skirting

if i'm not mistaken, they did not charge me for the whole 500 sq ft which was quoted for, only the amount of sq ft which was laid with HERF which turned out to be about 430+ sq ft.

Hi, may i chk when we get quote for laminate/vinyl flooring eg $xx/sq ft... what is included in this cost? Does it include skirting material (or a separate additional cost)? what is meant by 'accessories'? is it norm to pay an extra 10% wastage cost?

Marker pens are definitely not a carpenter's tools. A private property developer will get sued for this.

Gd point. I shall use this as ammo against them on Saturday.

Gd point. I shall use this as ammo against them on Saturday.

Greg, i suggest putting your foot down and demand they right their mistake. Contractors add a buffer for these sort of stuff...try pushing! :)

thanks so much greg.

i'm getting same flooring as you, my costing has an additional/optinal cost for skirting leh? :o (hacking existing tiles skirting is another $$).

i managed to bargain FOC for trimming of main/bedrm/storerm doors (total 4) though (this is of course if need to). So will it kinda compensate me for what i'm paying for? ...or should i go 'bargain' some more? yikes! :bangwall:

note there is a wastage charge in the cost... ie (flr area + 10%) x S$xx/sq ft (for supply, install, accessories &10% wastage) -- i thought this is a norm practice so did not question??

anyone can advise further? thanks!