Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

thanks so much greg.

i'm getting same flooring as you, my costing has an additional/optinal cost for skirting leh? :o (hacking existing tiles skirting is another $$).

i managed to bargain FOC for trimming of main/bedrm/storerm doors (total 4) though (this is of course if need to). So will it kinda compensate me for what i'm paying for? ...or should i go 'bargain' some more? yikes! :bangwall:

note there is a wastage charge in the cost... ie (flr area + 10%) x S$xx/sq ft (for supply, install, accessories &10% wastage) -- i thought this is a norm practice so did not question??

anyone can advise further? thanks!

Hi kanas,

My quotation was based on installation only, does not include any removal of skirting so I would say they are consistent.

Also although my quote did cater for additional flooring and I paid deposit for 500 sq ft, they only charge me for 430+ sq ft ie it was less. I believe this will happen for u. Not to worry!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

thanks so much greg.

i'm getting same flooring as you, my costing has an additional/optinal cost for skirting leh? :o (hacking existing tiles skirting is another $$).

i managed to bargain FOC for trimming of main/bedrm/storerm doors (total 4) though (this is of course if need to). So will it kinda compensate me for what i'm paying for? ...or should i go 'bargain' some more? yikes! :bangwall:

note there is a wastage charge in the cost... ie (flr area + 10%) x S$xx/sq ft (for supply, install, accessories &10% wastage) -- i thought this is a norm practice so did not question??

anyone can advise further? thanks!

Hi kanas,

My quotation was based on installation only, does not include any removal of skirting so I would say they are consistent.

Also although my quote did cater for additional flooring and I paid deposit for 500 sq ft, they only charge me for 430+ sq ft ie it was less. I believe this will happen for u. Not to worry!

Greg, u are tempting me to use Kompactop for my kitchen! I told my other half abt it and the response I got was:

"I thought we have already decided on granite?? What's this Kompactop now?? Is it even suitable for our heavy cooking?!" LOL

just to clarify... i'm charged one cost for hacking/removel of existing tile skirting + another sep cost for new skirting (which in your case is included in the $XX/ sq ft cost) --- that's the inconsistancy you see. :(

in any case, i'll clarify/neg further when they come down for site measurement. anyway, thanks greg for your kind words....(oh not forgetting your 'tips' mentioned earlier, on installation re trimming material, workmanship etc - which i've already 'clarify' prior deposit - all say good good no prob blah.. - hope they'll delivered what is promised!)

after this flooring matter, my next project will be the kitchen. i love your kitchen sink fr taobao. looking for something like that too - big, deep and squarish -- v practical when it comes to washing big pots/wok. hope to hear your feedback on this - whether it's durable n sturdy? (...actually i'm afraid to buy online when you can see and feel the materials)

btw, have you solve your 'hiccup' on the kitchen? fully completed? guess i'll need to come back and consult you further...

cheers :sport-smiley-018:

just to clarify... i'm charged one cost for hacking/removel of existing tile skirting + another sep cost for new skirting (which in your case is included in the $XX/ sq ft cost) --- that's the inconsistancy you see. :(

in any case, i'll clarify/neg further when they come down for site measurement. anyway, thanks greg for your kind words....(oh not forgetting your 'tips' mentioned earlier, on installation re trimming material, workmanship etc - which i've already 'clarify' prior deposit - all say good good no prob blah.. - hope they'll delivered what is promised!)

after this flooring matter, my next project will be the kitchen. i love your kitchen sink fr taobao. looking for something like that too - big, deep and squarish -- v practical when it comes to washing big pots/wok. hope to hear your feedback on this - whether it's durable n sturdy? (...actually i'm afraid to buy online when you can see and feel the materials)

btw, have you solve your 'hiccup' on the kitchen? fully completed? guess i'll need to come back and consult you further...

Edited by ProjectH

Guest our-home

Hi macuser, I am referring to the joints between the laminates. This is not due to the uneven-ness of wall or flooring. There is inherent limitation of the joints between laminates but I think in this case it is too wide in certain areas of the same plywood. This leads me to believe that the laminate is not applied evenly that's why only certain areas, the laminate joints are widely space apart. They tried to "rectify" this by using a permanent marker to colour it black. To the extent that there are black markets applied onto the laminate itself. This is quite unacceptable. There is another rectification they are recommending but I want to see for myself on Saturday before I decide to go ahead. Clearly their workmanship is quite shoddy I'm afraid.

Yes ABS trimming is only for the doors. It's to prevent water from seeping into the laminates. Primarily for kitchen carpentry where it is most prone to getting wet i.e higher risk of wood rotting

Hi greglhc

Better if the poor carpentry workmanship is resolved while reno work is ongoing. We didn't (5 years ago) and now our wardrobe looks like this.

IMG_4510.jpg

If the gap between laminates or in our case, laminate and ceiling is a little wide, silicone won't work after some time.

Thanks renotalk community for expressing concern over my laminate/carpentry issues.

I'm happy to report that everything was rectified to my satisfaction! :good:

Kitchen area which they used black silicone to seal the minor gap between laminate joints

photo2_zps7eb11d20.jpg

MBR wardrobe

photo3_zps3d61473a.jpg

I'm most impressed with the MBR wardrobe where they used paint from spray can and a brush used for Chinese calligraphy. The paint colour is extremely similar to my laminate and really hides it very well. All the permanent black marker marks were removed first.

And for all the internal black PVC for cabinets, they used this black paint marker. Picture here for future reference. I'm here can be easily purchased at DIY shops.

photo1_zpsf76f14c0.jpg

Greg, u are tempting me to use Kompactop for my kitchen! I told my other half abt it and the response I got was:

"I thought we have already decided on granite?? What's this Kompactop now?? Is it even suitable for our heavy cooking?!" LOL

Do it! The wood grains are very realistic and the price is not that different from granite.

The few things you gotta watch out for

1. Can't chop/cut stuff on kompactop, absolutely must use chopping board.

2. Can't place your hot pots/pans directly on the surface.

3. No bleach.

Hi kanas,

I guess in your situation, it's reasonable to pay for removal of existing skirting.

New skirting is usually included in the price though. Unless you asked for a special skirting and your quoted price is lower than $6 psf ;)

About the kitchen sink - I haven't started using it for washing etc. But from what I can feel/see/knock, it's very sturdy and solid. 1.2mm thickness makes all the difference. Note that this is the most critical point about stainless steel sinks. If it's less than 1.2mm, it will not have as sturdy a feel, and it can easily expand/contract upon contact with hot water/soup you pour into the sink, which creates a "thud" sound.

Even a lot of franke sinks that retail at 700+ bucks are 1mm only.

cheers :sport-smiley-018:

Hi our-home, thanks for the heads up. I'll look out for this specifically tomorrow since most of my carpentry is floor to ceiling!

Hi greglhc

Better if the poor carpentry workmanship is resolved while reno work is ongoing. We didn't (5 years ago) and now our wardrobe looks like this.

IMG_4510.jpg

If the gap between laminates or in our case, laminate and ceiling is a little wide, silicone won't work after some time.

Have more or less decided on getting a plasma TV. Panasonic ST60. Excellent picture - only matched by Sony W904A and Samsung F8000.

And the best part, the price point is fantastic!

Panasonic_ST60_610x427_zps6a707d7d.jpg

I noticed a lot of people not into plasma. Anyone else got this tv here, can to share reviews?

Have more or less decided on getting a plasma TV. Panasonic ST60. Excellent picture - only matched by Sony W904A and Samsung F8000.

And the best part, the price point is fantastic!

I noticed a lot of people not into plasma. Anyone else got this tv here, can to share reviews?

Hi Greg,

Check with Petetherock, he is an audio and home theatre enthutiast and very active on a forum called xtremeplace.com.sg

There were a lot of discussion of Plasma vs LCD on that forum few years ago and seemed like majority of them prefer plasma. Not sure if there has been similar comparison between Plasma and LED...

Do it! The wood grains are very realistic and the price is not that different from granite.

The few things you gotta watch out for

1. Can't chop/cut stuff on kompactop, absolutely must use chopping board.

2. Can't place your hot pots/pans directly on the surface.

3. No bleach.

What about stains? Hmm seriously considering it now.. Maybe I should talk to my contractor.. ;)