Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
EMinlove

Love In Em @ Jurong West

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

EMinlove, vicx1234,

are both of you installing cat 6 network cables in your houses ? or are you using wireless ?

We will indeed be laying cat 6 network cables throughout the house, 1 to each room except for the kitchen. Haven't quite worked out the specifics of how all the hardware such as the switchboard, router, ONT and all that will come together, so I'd better start doing my homework now. I suppose you have been attending mavicaste's "class" in his tblog? haha

I think even after having laid cat6 cables in every room, you probably still need a strong wireless router or wireless signal extenders so that you can surf on your ipad or phone etc while in your rooms. So it's not as though the weak wireless signals can be completely ignored I'm guessing.

:sport-smiley-018:

We will indeed be laying cat 6 network cables throughout the house, 1 to each room except for the kitchen. Haven't quite worked out the specifics of how all the hardware such as the switchboard, router, ONT and all that will come together, so I'd better start doing my homework now. I suppose you have been attending mavicaste's "class" in his tblog? haha

I think even after having laid cat6 cables in every room, you probably still need a strong wireless router or wireless signal extenders so that you can surf on your ipad or phone etc while in your rooms. So it's not as though the weak wireless signals can be completely ignored I'm guessing.

:sport-smiley-018:

haha. yah. am following that thread diligently.

how much did your contractor charge you per cat 6 point ?

btw, myrepublic is having a promo for 1 Gbps at $49.99/mth. but only for 1st 10,000 signup. think they also throw in free openet installation if i am not wrong. Singtel also has free opennet installation

Yes, you definitely still need wireless. Just plug a 2nd router (in bridge mode) into the network port in your room. Or if the signal is still strong from your base RG, then just rely on that.

haha. yah. am following that thread diligently.

how much did your contractor charge you per cat 6 point ?

btw, myrepublic is having a promo for 1 Gbps at $49.99/mth. but only for 1st 10,000 signup. think they also throw in free openet installation if i am not wrong. Singtel also has free opennet installation

I think about $120 p/point if i'm not wrong? Seems expensive to me. What's the market rate out there?

I actually signed up for myrepublic just before they launched it. Now have to go and resign the contract, very troublesome! But definitely getting it cos it makes alot of sense.

I think about $120 p/point if i'm not wrong? Seems expensive to me. What's the market rate out there?

I actually signed up for myrepublic just before they launched it. Now have to go and resign the contract, very troublesome! But definitely getting it cos it makes alot of sense.

think about there. I got a few quotations from about $60 to $120. but i guess its the tactic used by contractors/ID to price some items lower so as to make comparison not so straightforward. btw, did you engage a contractor or ID ?

think about there. I got a few quotations from about $60 to $120. but i guess its the tactic used by contractors/ID to price some items lower so as to make comparison not so straightforward. btw, did you engage a contractor or ID ?

hmm $60 is really low, what's the catch?

I hired an ID, but he's more like a contractor to me cos his creativity and design isn't that strong.

hmm $60 is really low, what's the catch?

I hired an ID, but he's more like a contractor to me cos his creativity and design isn't that strong.

for the $60/pt quotes, his other stuff are very expensive. esp cabinets. so i am guessing he may be quoting low.

I am quite surprised that each point is costing so much. am intending to wire the whole house.

I also have a quote from a contractor. he say he can do ID work for "free" but design-wise, not so good .. haha

EMinlove, vicx1234,

are both of you installing cat 6 network cables in your houses ? or are you using wireless ?

Hey Alfredt & vicx1234,

Yes we had cat6 point all over the house even in kitchen too! For EM definitely need it for bedrooms upstairs too cox we are worry the network will not be too powerful enough to go through the concrete wall.

As for the cost I think we might over paid a lil more because we go through an ID's contact, but is for the convenient so we just use this guy. So far his work is good, he fixed everything just the way we wanted and quite tidy I must say. Below is his quote for your reference:

7518c6aa9279a23797af8724c6b17002_zpsada2

And Vicx1234, if you haven't do ur wiring yet...suggest you start planning now from the floor plan. We were exhausted that day just trying to figure out where to fix the electric point! Too much decision to make in one day cox we don't want to have missing point when we move in...and I thought ID suppose to propose the "ideal" electric points for us prior to the meeting to save some time. Unfortunately she did not...maybe too high expectation on our end. Hmmm...

Also, 1 sad thing due to rewiring the whole house...our existing open net is no longer useable and now need to redo again when we move in. Sigh...good to know Singtel has free open net installation. Perhaps is time to consider switching telco. Heh

Hi there,

my contractor charges me $120 per datapoint.

Agreed with EMinLove that coming up with the electrical plan and data plan was exhausting. Another challenge is to figure out how to store the devices and manage the messy wires. I just wrote about my experiences in my T-blog.

Hi there,

my contractor charges me $120 per datapoint.

Agreed with EMinLove that coming up with the electrical plan and data plan was exhausting. Another challenge is to figure out how to store the devices and manage the messy wires. I just wrote about my experiences in my T-blog.

Harriette,

You raised a good point, i really hate those unsightly Internet devices and messy wires! Our current rented place really drove me nuts seeing the wires & extension cords laying around coz we are not allowed to drill stuff into the wall. We figured out to place most of the devices at the the storage room directly behind our TV console since we did not do a build in shelvings in the living room. Hopefully that could eliminates some of the messy wires :)

Eminlove

Hey Alfredt & vicx1234,

Yes we had cat6 point all over the house even in kitchen too! For EM definitely need it for bedrooms upstairs too cox we are worry the network will not be too powerful enough to go through the concrete wall.

As for the cost I think we might over paid a lil more because we go through an ID's contact, but is for the convenient so we just use this guy. So far his work is good, he fixed everything just the way we wanted and quite tidy I must say. Below is his quote for your reference:

7518c6aa9279a23797af8724c6b17002_zpsada2

And Vicx1234, if you haven't do ur wiring yet...suggest you start planning now from the floor plan. We were exhausted that day just trying to figure out where to fix the electric point! Too much decision to make in one day cox we don't want to have missing point when we move in...and I thought ID suppose to propose the "ideal" electric points for us prior to the meeting to save some time. Unfortunately she did not...maybe too high expectation on our end. Hmmm...

Also, 1 sad thing due to rewiring the whole house...our existing open net is no longer useable and now need to redo again when we move in. Sigh...good to know Singtel has free open net installation. Perhaps is time to consider switching telco. Heh

yah.. i also need to move my opennet point. so eyeing either singtel or myrepublic.

Harriette,

You raised a good point, i really hate those unsightly Internet devices and messy wires! Our current rented place really drove me nuts seeing the wires & extension cords laying around coz we are not allowed to drill stuff into the wall. We figured out to place most of the devices at the the storage room directly behind our TV console since we did not do a build in shelvings in the living room. Hopefully that could eliminates some of the messy wires :)

Eminlove

i personally find that using velcro to wrap the wires together made it slightly more tolerable.

Oh wiring was one of the first few things we did in the renovation journey, my wife did a great job mapping out all the points and switches! Agreed that it is a very tiring job, especially mentally. Gotta keep thinking what you want to use that point for and where is best to place it practically speaking.

Oh wiring was one of the first few things we did in the renovation journey, my wife did a great job mapping out all the points and switches! Agreed that it is a very tiring job, especially mentally. Gotta keep thinking what you want to use that point for and where is best to place it practically speaking.

Your wife so clever to do it earlier....I wish I hv done that too then the experience less painful