Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Vct

My Anyhow Reno, Anyhow Theme But No Anyhow Budget Reno

It is really up to individual.

For some who are just staying in their house temporarily (eg. a few short years), they feel no need to install

others who are planning a longer stay, may want these data points with the view that more and more services will be IP based and that data points will be important. already we are seeing TV, phones, cameras that are IP based. Soon, (now don't laugh) Refrigerator, oven, in-house devices (eg. thermostats) etc.

I have even seen a mirror that has an IP connection to stream news and email :jawdrop: . (when they need those on a mirror is beyond me) :rofl:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

For some who are just staying in their house temporarily (eg. a few short years), they feel no need to install

others who are planning a longer stay, may want these data points with the view that more and more services will be IP based and that data points will be important. already we are seeing TV, phones, cameras that are IP based. Soon, (now don't laugh) Refrigerator, oven, in-house devices (eg. thermostats) etc.

I have even seen a mirror that has an IP connection to stream news and email :jawdrop: . (when they need those on a mirror is beyond me) :rofl:

So high tech... i really mountain tortoise ...

Haha got the point. Very hard to catch up with technologies nowadays!

wifi extender can help to extend the coverage, but i think you need a power source (ac socket) for it.

Yup thinking of placing it at my TV console area..

Hi,

If yours is new BTO, you could also consider converting all existing telephone points to data points. Don't have to ask your contractor to lay data cables.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/garage-sales-18/services-fiber-telephone-point-lan-data-ethernet-point-conversion-services-4390951.html

I explained why you should lay data points here:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62505-top-kew-drive/?p=835953

The other blog you may want to read is Mavicaste' blog. His network layout and installation is more professional than mine.

If you have any queries, feel free to ask.

Thanks, I think I have a neighbour offering to do it (for a fee of course).

An extract of what he fb msg-ed me:

3 main services; phone to lan pt conversion, phone patch and home wifi setup 1) phone to lan conversion gives u direct or wired connection to ur desktop, internet tv or other network device in bedroom. at same time, u can place extra router to provide full wifi coverage 2) phone patch allows u to put cordless phone near tv console in living room if digital home line is used. without phone patch, u might need to put cordless phone in utility cabinet

So if I'm not mistaken, for new BTO, like what BH72 suggested, we don't need to lay the cabling, and can directly do phone to LAN point conversion in all bedrooms + living room? Then we will have the data point where we need them?

P.s Kstoh, thanks for the comprehensive sharing and making it basic for understanding. I'm sold by the reasons you gave.. :good:

If new BTO can just do the conversion without laying cables, I think I will just do it in case we need it for the future.

Since 1 May 2013, IDA has mandated that all new homes must have pre-laid network points in all rooms. I am not sure but I am sure this policy applies to HDB flats as well.

The government is well aware of how important this is.

• Like 1

So if I'm not mistaken, for new BTO, like what BH72 suggested, we don't need to lay the cabling, and can directly do phone to LAN point conversion in all bedrooms + living room? Then we will have the data point where we need them?

P.s Kstoh, thanks for the comprehensive sharing and making it basic for understanding. I'm sold by the reasons you gave.. :good:

If new BTO can just do the conversion without laying cables, I think I will just do it in case we need it for the future.

IDA has required all new homes w.e.f. 1 May 2013 to have Cat 6 cabling to every room. So most likely the contractor simply laid Cat 6 cables to the telephone point. It is probably just a case of changing the face plate. In fact, I believe that since some years back, contractors have already been using network cabling as the telephone cable. It could be Cat 5 or 5e cabling but still fast enough.

• Like 1

Thanks, I think I have a neighbour offering to do it (for a fee of course).

An extract of what he fb msg-ed me:

3 main services; phone to lan pt conversion, phone patch and home wifi setup 1) phone to lan conversion gives u direct or wired connection to ur desktop, internet tv or other network device in bedroom. at same time, u can place extra router to provide full wifi coverage 2) phone patch allows u to put cordless phone near tv console in living room if digital home line is used. without phone patch, u might need to put cordless phone in utility cabinet

I have not seen the wiring for a new BTO flat. If there are prelaid telephone cables to all rooms then technically it is possible.

He just need to change the RJ11 faceplate which is used for analog phone to RJ45 faceplate that is used for data. Few short LAN patch cords to connect from ONT (provided by Internet Service Provider aka M1, Singtel for converting optical to electrical signal) to the converted LAN points.

He won't change the prelaid cable, will be using those cable laid by HDB. So if your prelaid cable is CAT5, then your max speed is 100Mbps irregardless of your uplink. But this is already much better than WIFI's speed.

You can get the guy to come over and check if your flat could do the conversion after you subscribe to fibre broadband. Remember to do speedtest to ensure you have good connection for all converted LAN points.

• Like 1

I have not seen the wiring for a new BTO flat. If there are prelaid telephone cables to all rooms then technically it is possible.

He just need to change the RJ11 faceplate which is used for analog phone to RJ45 faceplate that is used for data. Few short LAN patch cords to connect from ONT (provided by Internet Service Provider aka M1, Singtel for converting optical to electrical signal) to the converted LAN points.

He won't change the prelaid cable, will be using those cable laid by HDB. So if your prelaid cable is CAT5, then your max speed is 100Mbps irregardless of your uplink. But this is already much better than WIFI's speed.

You can get the guy to come over and check if your flat could do the conversion after you subscribe to fibre broadband. Remember to do speedtest to ensure you have good connection for all converted LAN points.

May I ask, how do you do the speed test? Thanks!

Living room, featured wall confirmed will change design and colour, very ugly.

8qsi.jpg

Walk-in Wardrobe

ktdr.jpg

pzvr.jpg

Not really big lah, if you realise the 2nd pic there's a mirror. :D