Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi twinklecloud!

Sorry for not replying for so long! Actually like I said, we are not even at the stage of looking for ID yet (actually starting now!) because we probably will only get our keys in March (previous owners want 2 month extension and our first hdb appt is on 11 Dec).

For the pergola/trellis idea, we actually saw some other unit near ours which had something similar. I drew it out on Google sketchup, but we haven't checked around to see whether it's possible yet. I've actually dropped a note to ask someone about it on a preliminary level, and they quoted us around $3600 for it plus installation (they just do carpentry) and we haven't asked anyone else about it so don't know whether it's a good price or not.

Trellis.png

Hope that helps? :)

ricepapergirl thank u so much! it's very very nice.. very very helpful..

after talking to a few ID n now contractors.. the price to do roof is so expensive.. and if we leave it open (hub dun like), he still prefers something to cover the windows and the open area on top.. we tried exploring roller shutters but it double the price! =(

so now many can ask about your option.. worse case we just leave it...=(

btw you are so lucky... i mean u have so much time on hand to slowly look ard and explore... i realised my reno is at peak.. xmas, new year and then CNY.. all come together..=(

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Haha bro solid la this comment

Well fine tuning means you have someone and something in mind so it's a good step forward already. Keep going..

lol.. this thread become insect discussion.. lol

initially tot can fine tune and can move forward.. decided to look for contractors to seek some "2nd opinion".

to think that one of them told me the "idea" which i quite like the layout from the ID was not practical.. so cramp n not much work space..

now i have to rethink and he will kind of help me "plan" and see if can be more practical.. so now i am back to square one.. so much to think and glad for all the comments here.. it's really helpful...

thank u all for dropping by and helping out.. really appreciate it.

For me, end of the day, i make my own space planning, most of the id i went, they can do space planning ncely, but ultimately, i am the one staying there and i think i will the one best to know what space i need and want.

Yes space planning has to come from how you intend to live and use each of the space you have.

Hence for us we told our Id what we wanted and her task was to draw up the design and if you tell then you want it to be usable space then it will e what they have to take in mind unless the Id ain't listening then it's time to change one.

So plan with the end use in mind and ID and contractors will Always be at the different ends.

Like the stairs guys came and mentioned Id easy just draw and design but we have to think and see how to make it possible haha.

So contractor means simple but if you want design then means ID haha balance of it all is needed.

Roofing are all 3k and up depending on the size for the tiled ones and shutters are the costliest it seems hence we didn't take away ours which was left behind by the previous owners.

Reckon being able to close shutters when we are on holiday is a good idea too.

For me, end of the day, i make my own space planning, most of the id i went, they can do space planning ncely, but ultimately, i am the one staying there and i think i will the one best to know what space i need and want.

true.. so now i have to rethink the space the ID and contractor plan for me and see how i can make the best out of it.. kitchen is my biggest headache now.. haha

Roofing are all 3k and up depending on the size for the tiled ones and shutters are the costliest it seems hence we didn't take away ours which was left behind by the previous owners.

Reckon being able to close shutters when we are on holiday is a good idea too.

yes.. that is another concern.. to think we have such a nice height.. a pity to really put a roof on top... =( my hub likes it "indoor" so that no need to "wear shoes" and can still lie and roll in the balcony.. those with "outdoor" balcony is it so bad?? wind n rain will come in? now i am exploring outdoor blinds.. not sure if it's a good and cheap option.. hehe

Yes space planning has to come from how you intend to live and use each of the space you have.

Hence for us we told our Id what we wanted and her task was to draw up the design and if you tell then you want it to be usable space then it will e what they have to take in mind unless the Id ain't listening then it's time to change one.

So plan with the end use in mind and ID and contractors will Always be at the different ends.

Like the stairs guys came and mentioned Id easy just draw and design but we have to think and see how to make it possible haha.

So contractor means simple but if you want design then means ID haha balance of it all is needed.

hehe.. true in a way... but if the contractor can do a similar job and can save a huge amount of $$.. i think it's an option too.. hehe.. some of them also help to do space planning.. though they r not so good in designing.. cant have the best of both worlds.. i supposed..

Well this is where you have to decide because contractor means you have to stand up and make some decisions when the need and time comes but with ID I can actually go which you think is better.

What would you suggest and of course then furniture hunting suggestions as well.

ID commands a higher price but at times they do work hard to earn it as well and rectifying imperfections with no questions asked as long as reasonable too. :)

yes.. that is another concern.. to think we have such a nice height.. a pity to really put a roof on top... =( my hub likes it "indoor" so that no need to "wear shoes" and can still lie and roll in the balcony.. those with "outdoor" balcony is it so bad?? wind n rain will come in? now i am exploring outdoor blinds.. not sure if it's a good and cheap option.. hehe

Yes All natural is dirty cos you have to wash it daily and scrub to be able to walk on it without shoes.

Unless you don't mind black feets in home. Love it too when I had my first EM but then roofed it after we had our 1st kid cos more usable space and also stopped going out cos lazy to clean after 6 months of owning it haha.:)

Well this is where you have to decide because contractor means you have to stand up and make some decisions when the need and time comes but with ID I can actually go which you think is better.

What would you suggest and of course then furniture hunting suggestions as well.

ID commands a higher price but at times they do work hard to earn it as well and rectifying imperfections with no questions asked as long as reasonable too. :)

i agreed.if the difference is not too much then we will go for design.. so now has to tell the ID for some change of ideas... =)

Yes All natural is dirty cos you have to wash it daily and scrub to be able to walk on it without shoes.

Unless you don't mind black feets in home. Love it too when I had my first EM but then roofed it after we had our 1st kid cos more usable space and also stopped going out cos lazy to clean after 6 months of owning it haha. :)

this is something i have been pondering about which is the maintenance. thanks for the highlight will think about it and look for ideas again.

just received letter from HDB to "inspect" the house before handover.. can anyone share what are the things to look out for?

Basically, inspection is for you to check that the owner have shifted out and not left anything unwanted behind. This is because subsequent haulage will be borne by you.

It is also for you to check that the house condition per what you viewed and agreed to buy. Any damages you highlight to hdb and the cost of repair (eg. Ceiling leaking) will not be borne by you.

Its also for you to check that the seller has left behind everything per the inventory list in your option.

Hi Twinklecloud,

So far I only have 1 id quote which was >50K but that was because I plan to do an overlay for the floorings instead of hacking. My EM is in Hougang Ave 8 and condition is very old. what about you? Where is your EM? I have already made plans for my flooring and it will come last after everything is up. As for the rest, I need to wait till I collect my keys in Dec 2015 before I can decide.