Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

anyone can share your experience with track lights and downlight?

thinking of saving some cost on false ceiling and do downlight but heard that it's not really very good in the long run..

can anyone share?

All depends on what type of lighting you want and I suggest in areas you want a wide spread light source do not go for track as it comes from angles and if there is obstruction in the way a shadow is cast over. Also it's still much light a spot light of sorts so it does not spread big out like T5 or ceiling light does.

For feature areas then you can always go with track but well just a heads up track lights do cost more in the end cost the cost comes in parts for the track itself and then the multiple bulbs you need just to illuminate the place so a simple track with bulbs can set you back $200 and more :)

Hope this helps.

All depends on what type of lighting you want and I suggest in areas you want a wide spread light source do not go for track as it comes from angles and if there is obstruction in the way a shadow is cast over. Also it's still much light a spot light of sorts so it does not spread big out like T5 or ceiling light does.

For feature areas then you can always go with track but well just a heads up track lights do cost more in the end cost the cost comes in parts for the track itself and then the multiple bulbs you need just to illuminate the place so a simple track with bulbs can set you back $200 and more :)

Hope this helps.

thank you doubleEm for the tips!! initally thinking can save some $$ if we take away the false ceiling and do track lights with LED bulbs.. but may not be feasible.. maybe we do a mix of each...

gallery_39457_886_19167.jpg

found this on my MBR wall after the owner removed his cupboard. i have to call HDB to rectify this. ID said this is from external no matter how much they do the problem will reoccur.. =(

Anyone using induction or ceramic cooker?care to share ideas n feedback? Found out there is no gas supply to the whole block. Decided to abandon n try induction cooker,saw a few demo at exhibition not sure if they r good. At least no gas I do not have to worry about the gas cylinder running out.

Then we r not able to get the gas heater or dryer from city gas..=(

Back to traditional heater...

I have induction cooker but I must confess I have not used it yet. Though there are a few issues I am aware of:

- If you choose those with higher power, you need a dedicated high power supply to that power point. For mine, I had to have a dedicated 32A supply to that point.

- Only those pots with the "induction use" logo can be used. I was told if you can stick a magnet to the bottom of the pot, it can be used, but I am not sure of this.

- Induction hobs are generally more expensive.

Anyone using induction or ceramic cooker?care to share ideas n feedback? Found out there is no gas supply to the whole block. Decided to abandon n try induction cooker,saw a few demo at exhibition not sure if they r good. At least no gas I do not have to worry about the gas cylinder running out.

Contemplated on induction before but thought of the electricity bill got turned off then after the pots and pans have to be induction types as well so another issue with it.

As for your peeling walls I use to experience it as well and didn't realize until 5 years after reno and it was the back of my then walk in wardrobe so the whole board rotted and my mirror spotted up before I took notice of this.

Getting HDB to rectify it however was quick as its the holes between the tiles on the exterior that is causing this. So they will get the contractors to run the gondola and then patch the wall and you will get a new coat of paint after too :)

I am also a bit worried because our EM unit is also 30 years old and the current owners are using the gas cylinder type. They did mention we can probably get Citygas to pipe in but we probably need to double-check that they already have gas supply to the block at first. Not sure what we would do if there's no piped gas??

I've been using induction cooker at my current rental EC.

For someone who cooks rather often, it isn't my favorite because:

(1) It heats up slowly, but once it's hot, it's very hot. The heat is not so controllable like gas (instant smaller fire) so must be careful not to let it get very hot.

(2) The control panel is very delicate. For someone who cooks more, I have to clean and keep this area DRY very carefully, because water on it or anything else will affect the display panel. Not sure if it's much better on higher-end models.

But that said, it is very clean, no scorch marks caused by fire, less fire hazard and more even cooking I suppose?

Hope that helps! I've been using it for ~8 months!

Edited by bykaraanne

I am also a bit worried because our EM unit is also 30 years old and the current owners are using the gas cylinder type. They did mention we can probably get Citygas to pipe in but we probably need to double-check that they already have gas supply to the block at first. Not sure what we would do if there's no piped gas??

hi ricepapergirl,

I am not too sure about your side but i did call up SP to find out about my place and there is no gas pipe to my entire block. :bangwall:there is no way i can get city gas in nor use their gas heater etc.. maybe you can also call up SP to find out. it's more accurate this way and easier for you to plan what u need. =)

so now i am considering this ceramic hob (http://www.nwroman.com.sg/shop_detail.aspx?MerchandiseID=5051&CategoryID=10&SubCategoryID=101) saw the demo at expo and seemed quite impressive can use any cooking ware to cook and not very hot plus din really splash when they did the demo of soaking hotdog in water n put into a pot of hot oil?

anyone has any review on this cooker?care to share?

Contemplated on induction before but thought of the electricity bill got turned off then after the pots and pans have to be induction types as well so another issue with it.

As for your peeling walls I use to experience it as well and didn't realize until 5 years after reno and it was the back of my then walk in wardrobe so the whole board rotted and my mirror spotted up before I took notice of this.

Getting HDB to rectify it however was quick as its the holes between the tiles on the exterior that is causing this. So they will get the contractors to run the gondola and then patch the wall and you will get a new coat of paint after too :)

thanks DoubleEM. i think i may stick to gas cylinder to be on the "cheaper" side..

in the end did u do anything about your wall?

yes.. the wall is driving me crazy... must make sure they get it rectify and HDB is sloowww.....my friend did mention it's very troublesome and may drag hence it will drag my reno as well..

I've been using induction cooker at my current rental EC.

For someone who cooks rather often, it isn't my favorite because:

(1) It heats up slowly, but once it's hot, it's very hot. The heat is not so controllable like gas (instant smaller fire) so must be careful not to let it get very hot.

(2) The control panel is very delicate. For someone who cooks more, I have to clean and keep this area DRY very carefully, because water on it or anything else will affect the display panel. Not sure if it's much better on higher-end models.

But that said, it is very clean, no scorch marks caused by fire, less fire hazard and more even cooking I suppose?

Hope that helps! I've been using it for ~8 months!

thanks bykaraane for the feedback! may i check with you what brand of induction cooker u used to get? did u get any for your new place?

thanks bykaraane for the feedback! may i check with you what brand of induction cooker u used to get? did u get any for your new place?

Eurokera! It came with the place.

I got a Bosch gas hob for my new place because I still prefer to be able to control the heat easily... Just sharing my experience from using it for 8 months++